Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #2521
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I shredded my jack within a month or two of getting the plate.

Both sides would drop out and crackle etc..

Took about 2 weeks to get it replaced.

Now I route my cable up over the blue tooth module like this..

.. and it's been fine for the last year. I loop the headphone cord back around the base of the headphone jack so the cord wraps completely around the clamp. The cord goes between the clamp and the helmet before plugging in. Takes all the strain off the jack.
...running upstairs to look at my Sena...

Another great tip.

Keep them coming...

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #2522
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,089
Any kind of adapters to turn non blue tooth devices into bluetooth? My Garmin Montana has mini-jack audio out and I'd be interested to see if there are any wireless solutions.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #2523
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Any kind of adapters to turn non blue tooth devices into bluetooth? My Garmin Montana has mini-jack audio out and I'd be interested to see if there are any wireless solutions.
Short answer to your question is yes. Med answer is "Get the Sena SR10". Long answer is "Don't get the cheap $20 bluetooth adapter if you want to do it right, and/or keep all the functionality of the SMH10". Really long answer - start reading at my post on p. 153 of this thread and the next couple of pages.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #2524
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Short answer to your question is yes. Med answer is "Get the Sena SR10". Long answer is "Don't get the cheap $20 bluetooth adapter if you want to do it right, and/or keep all the functionality of the SMH10". Really long answer - start reading at my post on p. 153 of this thread and the next couple of pages.
+1. There are numerous A2DP BT transmitters around ebay and these actually work pretty good for transmitting music from non BT enabled devices, but you really don't need your GPS directions in stereo and you only have one of those A2DP connections on your SMH10, so if you use one of these, you can't listen to your music source. If you never listen to music, then it won't affect you, but if you do, this solution won't work.

They used to make HFP BT transmitters for non BT phones. The Jabra A210 and the Cardo BTAII are examples of these. These could be paired up to the 2nd HFP connection on the SMH10 and basically do what you want. However, they are getting tough to find and usually only refurbished or used.

As lmychajluk said, the SR10 does what you want and so much more and really would be the best answer, but certainly not the cheapest. It would be hard to justify the SR10 just for that use only.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #2525
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,442
Yes the SR10 works wonderful.

But keep in mind, with any of these devices, when you Montana starts to say something, it takes the SMH10 around a second to switch from music (or intercom) to the bluetooth feed from other devices. You will miss the first word of what the garman says.

Your best bet is to beat garman up about this and ask them to add a "delay before voice option" to the montana. this delay will allow the SMH10 to open the audio channel first before the montana says something.

you might hear "5 miles make a RT on name road", but you missed the words "in point"
But when I hear the voice prompts, I look down at my Montana and see the dash board I have setup showing me distance to next turn.

If your not listening to music (or intercom) you can just double tap the Push to talk button on the SR10 and it will stay connected to the SMH10 and you hear all the words.

I have realized that on rides that are only a couple hours its not a problem paying attention to the GPS, but on long all day rides your mind can start to wonder and without voice navigation I miss turns.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #2526
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

This is sounding pretty good, anyone try the Lynx sat. radio? I forget if it is sirius or xm but it transmits in blue tooth and has a space for a 32g card for tons of other music.

From Lynx

Built-in Bluetooth: The Lynx SiriusXM Portable Radio supports Bluetooth stereo audio streaming (Profiles: A2DP and AVRCP). Bluetooth audio streaming lets you move freely around the room with the Lynx Radio, while wirelessly streaming SiriusXM Internet Radio content. The Lynx is compatible with most Bluetooth stereo audio devices such as speakers, headphones, select car stereos, and home stereo units. The available LH1 Home Dock (sold separately) also supports Bluetooth audio streaming, so you can stream Sirius Satellite Radio content.

From Sena:

• Profiles: Headset Profile, Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
  • Bluetooth 3.0

Does that mean I can run the sat. reciever in AVRCP and then use the cheaper a2dp stereo bluetooth adapter for my gps and have them active at the same time?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #2527
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Also, have a starcom digital now, anybody else make the move from wired to wireless?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #2528
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
This is sounding pretty good, anyone try the Lynx sat. radio? I forget if it is sirius or xm but it transmits in blue tooth and has a space for a 32g card for tons of other music.

From Lynx

Built-in Bluetooth: The Lynx SiriusXM Portable Radio supports Bluetooth stereo audio streaming (Profiles: A2DP and AVRCP). Bluetooth audio streaming lets you move freely around the room with the Lynx Radio, while wirelessly streaming SiriusXM Internet Radio content. The Lynx is compatible with most Bluetooth stereo audio devices such as speakers, headphones, select car stereos, and home stereo units. The available LH1 Home Dock (sold separately) also supports Bluetooth audio streaming, so you can stream Sirius Satellite Radio content.

From Sena:

• Profiles: Headset Profile, Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
  • Bluetooth 3.0

Does that mean I can run the sat. reciever in AVRCP and then use the cheaper a2dp stereo bluetooth adapter for my gps and have them active at the same time?
Sirius & XM are one company now known an SiriusXM. They joined forces a couple years ago as both were bleeding money. They probably still are.

As for your BT question, A2DP & AVRCP, although technically 2 different profiles, work hand & hand and are only considered "1 connection" when you are talking about streaming music. A2DP is how you hear your music. That's all it is is a 1 way feed for your "audio channel in stereo". AVRCP is the "control" over your music device by the receiving device. It does not transmit music, only the functions of Pause/Play/Stop/FF/RR etc are transmitted over this signal. So no you can't hook up 2 different devices at the same time. Some devices like the cheap A2DP transmitters connect via A2DP only and you have no AVRCP control over the device its plugged into, but you can't connect a different device over AVRCP at the same time. It wouldn't work and it wouldn't do you any good.

All that appears its saying is that you can actually control your SiriusXM receiver by the jog dial functions on the Sena SMH10.

Now, if you got the Sena SM10 (similar to the SR10), but actually an A2DP transmitter BT hub, you could plug your SiriusXM into the input stereo port on the SM10 and your GPS into the Mono input port and they would both be mixed together over that one A2DP channel. Now granted, you would lose AVRCP control over the Sirius device, but that's probably not a big deal. The SM10 is actually for riders who want to "share" one music source. It has 2 A2DP connections on it so it can connect to 2 different helmets at the same time. The only disappointing thing in my eyes it only has 1 stereo input port and 1 mono input port. It would have been cool to see at least one more stereo input port so you could say switch between 2 devices easily.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #2529
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 6,955
wired mic or boom mic?

I have a question some searching has failed to turn an answer to. I have the SMH10, and 2 full face helmets (Schuberth S1 and a no-name belonging to my wife. I'm about to fit the SMH10, and don't know whether to use the wired microphone or the boom microphone. Any advice on volume quality differences between the two? My preference is for the wired mic, but only if the sound quality is good/loud enough.

Your suggestions and advice gladly received!
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #2530
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

Now, if you got the Sena SM10 (similar to the SR10), but actually an A2DP transmitter BT hub, you could plug your SiriusXM into the input stereo port on the SM10 and your GPS into the Mono input port and they would both be mixed together over that one A2DP channel. Now granted, you would lose AVRCP control over the Sirius device, but that's probably not a big deal. The SM10 is actually for riders who want to "share" one music source. It has 2 A2DP connections on it so it can connect to 2 different helmets at the same time. The only disappointing thing in my eyes it only has 1 stereo input port and 1 mono input port. It would have been cool to see at least one more stereo input port so you could say switch between 2 devices easily.
Okay, Now I also have a Jensen weatherproof radio with an aux. input. I could now keep this and plug it into the stereo side of the sm10 so I could use my aux button to switch between different stereo components and have the mono still set aside for the gps?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #2531
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Okay, Now I also have a Jensen weatherproof radio with an aux. input. I could now keep this and plug it into the stereo side of the sm10 so I could use my aux button to switch between different stereo components and have the mono still set aside for the gps?
Yep that would work since the Jensen has its own aux input.

Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #2532
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I have a question some searching has failed to turn an answer to. I have the SMH10, and 2 full face helmets (Schuberth S1 and a no-name belonging to my wife. I'm about to fit the SMH10, and don't know whether to use the wired microphone or the boom microphone. Any advice on volume quality differences between the two? My preference is for the wired mic, but only if the sound quality is good/loud enough.

Your suggestions and advice gladly received!
Generally speaking, the boom Mic will be closer to your mouth so will be louder. However, if you don't keep the the boom Mic in the right spot, (like my wife does), I have to remind her to move it into place, so I can hear her. I have the wired Mic on one of my helmets and I don't get any complaints on not being loud enough.

Really both work fine. Only reason not to use the wired Mic would be a flip up helmet or a dual sport helmet with the mouth area so far from your mouth.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #2533
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Generally speaking, the boom Mic will be closer to your mouth so will be louder. However, if you don't keep the the boom Mic in the right spot, (like my wife does), I have to remind her to move it into place, so I can hear her. I have the wired Mic on one of my helmets and I don't get any complaints on not being loud enough.

Really both work fine. Only reason not to use the wired Mic would be a flip up helmet or a dual sport helmet with the mouth area so far from your mouth.

Great! Thanks a lot, just what I needed to know...
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #2534
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Also, have a starcom digital now, anybody else make the move from wired to wireless?
We had Autocom on previous bikes. Just wanted to get away from all the wires, and when I made the switch to the Street Triple, moving the Autocom stuff to it was a losing proposition, lol.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #2535
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver View Post
SMH10 + Samsung S4 Galaxy, anyone got that combo and got it working?

just paired mine today, works great. when first connected music playback would start and stop. power cycled both phone and sena and now all is good.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote