Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #46
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneC8H18 View Post
Hey Mitch,

Glad to see you finally found some paved roads. At the motel, your bike looks cleaner than I have ever seen it. Did the Harley dealer detail it for you?

Ride Safe.

Alan
Read on Alan
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #47
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6 started out sucky and didn't get any better.

The rain stopped around 10Am and I set off on what looked like a nice tour of winding roads in the area. When I got there they looked like this

When that red stuf was dry, it was like powdery sand. Wet, well you know. i should have turned back right then and there, but stupidity won out, after all how long could theis go on. Over 30 miles, that's how long.

I was doing ok staying on the dry parts, as the sun was shining, then after crossing a cattle grate, it was pure slime. I lost control, dropping it on the right side, twisting my ancle in the process.

Why don't I have traction?

I sat for a while, knowing that there were no humans anywhere around, then decided that the bike wasn't going to get itself up and, after removing the luggage, I did it.

So much for my nifly homemade right side driving light.

The only way i can describe the road surface is to explain how I continued for the next 3 miles. I would put my feet out, just forward of the pegs, slip the clutch to get the bike 1 foot to where my feet were just behind the pegs. repeat. Mind you, my feet were also slipping sideways.

no where to go but forward

After 3 miles of this, the elevation rose and there were dry spots that I followed, managing 20 mph, slowing for the mud sections to use the above method of crossing them. After 10 miles the road became hard packed dirt and I upped the speed to 30 for 5 miles.

I let my mind drift a bit, thinking about Charlie and Ewan crossing Mongolia and dropping the bike every few feet, they were ready to give up and head for pavement in Russia. But I had survived, just 10 miles to pavement, then there was an uphill section that I hit going 30 mph that was deep sand. You couldn't see that it was sand because it was smooth like the road because no vehicle had crossed it for weeks.

The front tire dug in, the rear swung to the right and I laid it down, right on my left foot.

I thought , what the hell am I doing, i've been getting by with dumb luck, but eventually stupidity places a bet that dumb luck can't cover.

I can't move my foot, it's hot, I haven't had anything to eat or drink and it's 1:30pm. I dug out the sand around my foot, but couldn't lift the bike off. The only way was to push the seat with my hurt right foot. Despite excrutiating pain I rocked the bike till i could slip out my foot.

now the bike was with the wheels pointing upshill and the top of the bike down. i tried for an hour to lift it but it wasn't happenning. I was hot, dehidrated and htere was no one around for miles.

This is how the bike looked before I tried to lift it, each time I lifted it some, the rear would pivot right till it becams perpendicular to the road.

I tried the cell but no service. i walked to the top of the hill where I got one bar and called 911. A woman answered and I said I dropped my bike and can't get it up and appriximately where I was. She said she'd try to seend someone.
@ hours later I called again and got another operatior and told her I'd crashed the bike, that I had called before. She said there was no record of that and I lost contact. When I finally got service again by holding the phone aloft and using the speaker, the same operator said they were trying to reach me and sent people out to find me. An hour later a pickup from the Clarenden County Fire Rescue showed up. they gave me water, got the bike up. They had to push me up the hill with me slipping the clutch, the sand was so deep. they followed me the 10 miles to pavement.
They said that had i not gotten through, I would have died out there because no one uses that section of the road, they also said that it was the longest dirt road in the Panhandle.

I rode on to Claude, TX got a room, hobbled across the street to a Mexican restaurant and had 3 huge classe
s of water and

Gortitas para el Gorditio.

vicmitch screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 01:11 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #48
OkieGman
Working Stiff

Oddometer: 100
Holy Cow

Glad you made it out OK, you've got to be more careful. I won't stay on the tentspace thread if my only guest lays out in the panhandle of Texas and cooks like a piece of steak under the Texas sun.

Take care and please be more careful. Remember Charlie and Ewan had a support team and satellite phones.

I enjoyed your company and am enjoying this RR, stay safe so you can complete it.

2005 BMW R1200GS (Limey - yes it's lime green)
2007 Honda XR230R (x2 - for wifey and I)
OkieGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #49
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
From the writing, I surmise you are kind of enjoying the challenges or you would stick to the asphalt. Good for you! Now, just in case no one told you, they do make bikes which are much more capable than the Victory for your terrain of choice.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #50
OctaneC8H18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
Read on Alan
You have nothing left to prove to yourself or anyone else. IMHO it's time to reset your route preferences to match the bike's capabilities. It is supposed to be fun, not torture.

...Alan
OctaneC8H18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #51
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Holy mud bog Batman!

OK Mitch... the ballots are all in... You have just won the 2013 ADV'er "I'll take my road bike off road any day, any where, any time, in any weather award.

You sir... are a motorcycle stud!!!

Ride Mitch ride.
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #52
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To all those who replied, I'd like to emphasize that I did not intentionally have any dirt roads on my route. i designed it to have as many curvy roads as possible. I thought there might be a mile or 2 of dirt among the 3400 of the ride to LA. I will state right now that I don't like riding on dirt, I like riding on pavement. I like traction. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, just telling the story as it happens. if I see any more dirt roads I will avoid them. I do feel some pride at conquering adversity, but would rather avoid adversity all together. Ok, back to our regulary scheduled program.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #53
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7 5/23.

Woke up with a grapefruit where my right ancle used to be, loosened the straps on the Icon Motorhead boots and headed out. Took 287 to Amerillo, thn I40 to Vega. Though the speed limit is 75, I sit in the right lane doing 60. yesterdays events took a toll on me both phisically and psychologicaly and I felt like taking it easy. At Vega I headed northwest on US 87 to cross into New Mexico at Texline. At a fuel stop in Dalhart, TX I met 2 guys on BMWs from Knoxville, TN, John and Doug. John rode a 1600gtl and Douge a r1200rt. We decided to ride together to Taos, NM together stopping at the Capulin volcano which sits at an elevation of 8,000 ft. Nice little winding road up to the volcano with stunning views for a hundred miles in all directions.

They walked to the mouth of the crator, I couldn't walk so I stayed in the parking lot.

John and doug

We rode on to the pretty, artsy city of Taos, going through some nice twisty mountain sections and I started to feel my mojo comming back. Once there we had a nice dinner with margaritas. Tomorrow I'll have to look for a new front tire as mine is unexpectedly worn out at only 4k miles. Shame since I have a new one waiting in CA. thats all .

Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #54
OkieGman
Working Stiff

Sounds like fun

Sounds like a good day! Today should be even better - lots of twisties from here on out!

Be safe.
OkieGman

Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #55
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another jewish rider going to the event from Virginia was using my route to augment his own. He posted that he was in OK and I e mailed him not to follow my backroad rout in TX. unfortunately he did not get the e mail in time. Heres his post. Evidently Ginger is his Ultra Classic's name.

Woke up in a Ramada Inn in Betheny OK, a suburb of Oklahoma City.
At breakfast we learned that we were 6.7 miles from Moore OK.
We took I-40 West about 20 miles to stay away from rescue efforts then got back on Mitch's route.
Mitch gets 5 stars...his ride through AR and OK was glorious.
We stopped in Hobart OK for lunch. Turns out that General Tommy Franks (Commanding General, US Central Command during 9-11) built a leadership museum in Hobart. We visited the museum. Halfway through our tour Gen Franks showed...nice man...we had a great chat with him. He sponsors a Poker Run on Memorial Day to honor vets...too bad we'll miss it...it would have been fun to participate...but we'll heading to R2R.
Texas was phenomenal too...to a point...it had incredible scenery...gullies, farms, ranches, dry river beds, hills with grazing cattle, etc.
Then we came to a dirt road. From my prior dirt road experience, I thought I'd give Texas dirt a try. It turns out that the Texas dirt was a fine silt and Ginger and I couldn't handle it on a turn where it had built up deep.
Down we went...Ron and couldn't lift her...couldn't dig in our heels. No cell phone...no internet...just us and deserted farms and ranches.
We unloaded Ginger...still couldn't lift her.
We hid the damage off road and were going to double up on Ron's trike to ride 26 miles to the Sheriff's office. But in the two hours it took us to make our lift attempts then hide the baggage, a pickup truck showed.
The two ranches inside graciously offered to help...they were bikers too.
The four of us righted Ginger...then Ron and I repacked her...then off to Amarillo TX.
We found a room at BW then ate at Subway. We then imbibed copious amounts of beer to soothe our weary bones.
As we checked into BW we met some storm chasers...they're predicting heavy t-storms and/or tornados in Amarillo tomorrow.
We plan to leave early.
Will get Ginger checked out in NM or CO.
Do long for now...and...happy trails to you until we meet again.

Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #56
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Go Mitch!

My 2K SC saw some adventures but none quite like this!

jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #57
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Go Mitch!

My 2K SC saw some adventures but none quite like this!

I had one of those as well
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #58
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My new favorite road

Got out late and went looking for a shop that i could get a 120 70 17 tire from. 2 shops had just Harley sizes but one sent me out of town to a guy who fixes bikes behind his power tool shop. HE Had an almost new metzler me3 (i think) for $65 plus $55 to install (!) I told him I could install it myself if I could use his jack, he said no, so $120 later I'm back on the road, He also said that my rear ME880 was almost toast with only 2400 miles which is rediculous for a tire with a reputation for high mileage. I'm going to slow down on the straights and just go fast in the curves to try to get to LA without having to replace it.

Time for Lunch and I saw the Taos Diner, full of local cars and one inmates hack. With all of the fancy eateries, they must have good food top thrive, and they did.

I had their home made breakfast burrito, eggs, cheese, potatoes, beans smothered in green chile. Wow, yummy

The witress offered to take my pic, so to please my mom who is following the report:

Taos is a real nice place, and Chabad is even here

i finally got out of Taos at 3:30 and heades towards Los Alamos and a rout that looked fantastic and turned out to be the best road I've ever ridden, and I've been a few places. The part from White Rock to Hywy 550. It has every kind of curve you could imagine. it has smooth surfaces, phenominal views lots of camping spots as well, worth a detour.
By the time I got to hwy 550 it was 7:30 and i was supposed to get to inmate merickk's place near Farmington, NM 158 miles away. I gave it a shot, but when I stopped for gas in the Apache nation's travel center, I asked if I could pitch my tent out back and they said sure. So now I'm a guest of the Apach, using their free WiFi, rather than riding in the dark in a rural area full of animals.

So here I am, bad photo with the flash.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #59
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Yep... great road huh Mitch? Beautiful country New Mexico. I love my home state!

Happy trails!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #60
OkieGman
Working Stiff

I told you so!

I told you that was a fun road. Glad to see you made it safe and I don't see any damage where you had to lay it down to get past an Elk.