ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
clydesdale66 OP
green mountain adventurer
 
clydesdale66's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: the west coast...of vermont
Oddometer: 266
Anyone attended the Montreal F1 race?

Thinking about going this June. Any experience with the course/grandstands and recommendations of where to try to sit? Particularly interested in where any diamondvision/video screens are located that can be viewed from the grandstands.

Thanks in advance for any tips from those who have been there!
JC
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
"I wanted to make love to her in the worst way—Standing up, in a canoe."
clydesdale66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale66 View Post
Thinking about going this June. Any experience with the course/grandstands and recommendations of where to try to sit? Particularly interested in where any diamondvision/video screens are located that can be viewed from the grandstands.

Thanks in advance for any tips from those who have been there!
JC

Hairpin if you can still get them. L'Epingle I think they call it. If not there I like being up at Senna.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 76,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale66 View Post
Thinking about going this June. Any experience with the course/grandstands and recommendations of where to try to sit? Particularly interested in where any diamondvision/video screens are located that can be viewed from the grandstands.

Thanks in advance for any tips from those who have been there!
JC
Go ask this same question in the F1 thread in Racing. Greg is Canadian and goes every year, he'll fill you in with whatever info you need.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Go ask this same question in the F1 thread in Racing. Greg is Canadian and goes every year, he'll fill you in with whatever info you need.
Greg's been once.

I'm going this year for the first time. Greg was on the hairpin but we are going to be a couple stands over from there - biggest issue for us was you couldn't buy a grandstand ticket for just the Sunday (you have to buy it for the 3 days) and there's 4 of us so cost came into it. We bought the tickets direct and did the accomodation ourselves - this was cheaper than buying one of the packages the advertise on the F1 site.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Greg's been once.

I'm going this year for the first time. Greg was on the hairpin but we are going to be a couple stands over from there - biggest issue for us was you couldn't buy a grandstand ticket for just the Sunday (you have to buy it for the 3 days) and there's 4 of us so cost came into it. We bought the tickets direct and did the accomodation ourselves - this was cheaper than buying one of the packages the advertise on the F1 site.

Anywhere on the island is a good time...I do prefer the hairpin myself, but you usually have to buy early to get those seats or I would imagine pay through the nose for them as they are popular seats. When I have gone with those seats we have gotten tickets the first day on sale, so I do not really know later timing. The hiatus may have changed that too. When we made a late decision one year in March, they were all gone so I know that. You should still be able to see plenty of the action from there, as long as you remember the helmet schemes and have better eyes than me. Oh that's right, you are looking for the yellow one, that I can see.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Irideeverything
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 46
Walk around

I went back in 86 or 87 I think and had a blast. Took the train up....

I prefer to walk, sit, watch, walk, hang out, watch, repeat... Always walking opposite direction of cars so you always see them coming towards you... There are sport of the track you cannot get to, but most of it was accessible.

I rather watch from several vantage points than sit and see the same corner for a hour of not much passing style of racing....

Just my opinion....
Irideeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor
 
WildAnCrazymtl's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Peoples Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irideeverything View Post
I went back in 86 or 87 I think and had a blast. Took the train up....

I prefer to walk, sit, watch, walk, hang out, watch, repeat... Always walking opposite direction of cars so you always see them coming towards you... There are sport of the track you cannot get to, but most of it was accessible.

I rather watch from several vantage points than sit and see the same corner for a hour of not much passing style of racing....

Just my opinion....
+1
I used to do this in the late 80's early 90's.

General admission tickets were cheapest and best back then. You could go sit in the hairpin. I have not been back since. I no longer live on the island and find it a hassel to travel or get a room. All the rooms are booked way in advance so look into that as soon as possible. Expect to pay through the nose for the week end. You will get your moneys worth though. The street parties and the montreal women are the greatest!
__________________
"Work negatively inpacts my free time !" Me.
"Ride it like you stole it, then do the same to me ! " Her.
"A good thing in a bad place, is still a good thing ! " Us.

____________
R1200GS 09
DRZ400 03
WildAnCrazymtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Anywhere on the island is a good time...I do prefer the hairpin myself, but you usually have to buy early to get those seats or I would imagine pay through the nose for them as they are popular seats. When I have gone with those seats we have gotten tickets the first day on sale, so I do not really know later timing. The hiatus may have changed that too. When we made a late decision one year in March, they were all gone so I know that. You should still be able to see plenty of the action from there, as long as you remember the helmet schemes and have better eyes than me. Oh that's right, you are looking for the yellow one, that I can see.
Not yellow...Union Flag colours thankyouverymuch
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Not yellow...Union Flag colours thankyouverymuch
Hmmmmm....one of those......racers...

Walking....I do that at Watkins Glen, because it is really nice there...With the jumbo-trons now, you will see more than walking around. Just saying..it is like being there and being home with the big screen at the same time.....you might get lucky and timing puts you in a good spot to see something. Hard to beat the camera crews though. Things are way different than even 5 years ago now, say nothing of almost 30. I always find I am watching the track and not the JT's though myself. When everyone around me starts pattering I take a look at it. YMMV, and probably will. Why they have options....there is that darn tyre talk again.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor
 
WildAnCrazymtl's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Peoples Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
Oddometer: 6,253
I would offer you guys a place to camp but I am about 1 hour from the longueuil metro station...
__________________
"Work negatively inpacts my free time !" Me.
"Ride it like you stole it, then do the same to me ! " Her.
"A good thing in a bad place, is still a good thing ! " Us.

____________
R1200GS 09
DRZ400 03
WildAnCrazymtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,406
I would say to get a seat by the TV Screens, walking around there kinda sucks as GA people camp out in the best areas.

I've been 4 times - I think, '88 Senna won

Saw Ralf win

And went in '10, I think Hamilton won - sat when they came out of hairpin, but could see all of it.

F1 w/e is the biggest/ best in Montreal. We rented a condo from a woman on the south side of the city very cheap > the Metro is easy & best to use.

Pics from 88
Grid


Michele Alboreto


SENNA da Man
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
g®eg
Canadian living in exile
 
g®eg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,298
We went to Montreal last year (first time).
We try and do some kind of a race every year. we did Moto GP in Indy one year and Superbikes at Miller another. Last year was f1 in Montreal.

We got grandstand seats at the hairpin with good access to the jumbo-tron & also the beer stand

The other racing venues we have been to are pretty "pedestrian friendly", you can walk around the track & see the racing from different viewpoints. Indy is especially good for this with grassy infield hills. Montreal, we found, wasn't a good track for this. It's more of a park-like setting and the track views are more limited. That being said, we still had a great time.

Best part of F1 in Montreal is of course MONTREAL! Fantastic cosmopolitan city with plenty to do at night. the old city is great to walk around, eat & drink. There are also several street carnivals & concerts going on. Track access is very easy on the metro, so no need to worry about parking or any of that drama.

Massa at the hairpin on Webber



JB not feeling it in 2012



and POUTINE!!

__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

g®eg screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:28 AM
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
g®eg
Canadian living in exile
 
g®eg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,298
if you happen to arrive in Montreal early you can sign up for this:

FOTA Fan Forum
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,995
I have to get there one year...oh wait
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer
 
Dave.0's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The coldest part of Arizona
Oddometer: 730
went in 2010 and 2011

this year went to austin

We like turn 2 (senna) - you can see start finish, get a good view of a monitor and get to see some good action

like others have said - montreal is a great city, the metro works well, but still be prepared to walk a lot

also be prepared to pay about 3x normal rates for a hotel, but still if austin didn't get a race, I would have been back in 2012
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014