Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #8926
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
In my case the "suction cavity" has many holes drilled in it for
better fuel pickup.
I'll try it without the return line and see how it works.

Max
When I ran mine without the return line I never noticed a difference, and that was without any extra inlet holes in the cup. Since, I have added a lot of holes and added back the return line.

I guess my thinking was that in lower fuel conditions it will simply help to ensure that there is better cooling of the pump. I think that if you were to really run it low then the pump, in the upper portion of the cup, would be exposed and the only way to cool it is the return fuel. This could possibly only be an issue for the last 5 minutes of fuel usage, 10 minutes, I'm not really sure about that part is the thing. And further, how often do you run it in on fumes?

I was thinking, "better safe than sorry." However, I am starting to consider safety wiring the bulk of fasteners on my 690 to ensure they stick around for a real long, hard ride. (I have been having issues even with red locktite) So, maybe you should take me with a grain of salt.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #8927
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Kirk! Dude that's horrible - sorry to hear that!

So they are totally the bike... how bout you? Are you gonna be 100%?
I jacked my knee up pretty good, but I'm already walking better than last week. No broken bones, so that's always good. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
Good to hear you survived the actions of a careless driver. Too bad about the bike, too. Get your fair compensation. Your body and your time is worth something ($).

God Bless
Oh, I tend to just live and let live. It was a stupid mistake on her part, but being on a bike, I take a lot of the responsibility others should anyway. I never, ever leave the drive without a helmet, and lately that's changed to jacket, boots, and gloves as well. Nobody's gonna ever, ever change the carelessness of other drivers, but I can always learn something from every situation, and become a better, safer, and more defensive rider for myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting all bills paid for, but other than that... meh... I have the luxury of being able to work from home, so I was already "slaving away" the next day, haha...

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 10:59 PM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #8928
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
I jacked my knee up pretty good, but I'm already walking better than last week. No broken bones, so that's always good. Thanks.

Oh, I tend to just live and let live. It was a stupid mistake on her part, but being on a bike, I take a lot of the responsibility others should anyway. I never, ever leave the drive without a helmet, and lately that's changed to jacket, boots, and gloves as well. Nobody's gonna ever, ever change the carelessness of other drivers, but I can always learn something from every situation, and become a better, safer, and more defensive rider for myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting all bills paid for, but other than that... meh... I have the luxury of being able to work from home, so I was already "slaving away" the next day, haha...
Kirk, glad to hear you are okay and great attitude. Great view you've got given this litigious society where everyone seems to look for someone else to blame and the easy path to a quick buck. I've had a few close calls from some careless drivers; but also take those as learnings to make me a better and more defensive rider. Had a great trainer on a defensive driving course who reminded us that "debating who is at fault when you are dead is pointless and too late - best avoid the situation in the first instance."
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #8929
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Kirk, glad to hear you are okay and great attitude. Great view you've got given this litigious society where everyone seems to look for someone else to blame and the easy path to a quick buck. I've had a few close calls from some careless drivers; but also take those as learnings to make me a better and more defensive rider. Had a great trainer on a defensive driving course who reminded us that "debating who is at fault when you are dead is pointless and too late - best avoid the situation in the first instance."
Exactly right! I often drive in different countries with different laws as to whose at fault. While the laws of the land may change, laws of physics don't.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #8930
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
RR rally kit roadbook mounting instructions

I am converting my 690 with RR EVO1 adventure kit to EVO2 rally kit (minus the new headlight kit, as I decided to use the old KTM990 headlight kit). I got the new cockpit support fitted on the bike. The only issue I had was when fitting the roadbook plate. There is an adjustable T-post held by 2 screws. The roadbook plate is mounted to the T-post. See the pic below.

With the T-post in the original position, my handlebars are hitting the roadbook plate. Look at the pic below. You cant tell that the handlebars hit the roadbook plate but they do.

If I move the T-Post higher I can avoid this problem. However that means I can only use 1 screw to hold the T-post to the cockpit support. Is this OK to do or am I missing something ? Since my roadbook plate is going to have a F2R 730 roadbook, 1 ICO, 1 RNS repeater and the stock OEM repeater, I am not sure if raising the T-post with it being held by just one screw is a good option ? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #8931
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,466
I ordered in a Center stand from Lost Dog.
Looking forward to that.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #8932
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Excited for you! It is very nice to have.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #8933
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I have a 300 mile ride tomorrow so I did her first oil change today and installed the Scotts filters. 548 miles and nothing to speak of on the screens, magnet or in the drain pan so tomorrow we get to thrash the crap out of her and see if we can both make it back in one piece.

Oh by the way, I did 96 miles today, stopped, filled her up and she took 1.44 gallons so 60MPG for my 2013 with the FMF, stock filter and no SAS/canister for anyone wondering.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #8934
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I ordered in a Center stand from Lost Dog.
Looking forward to that.
You will love it. Almost like it's not there till you need /want to use it.
Also makes changing a flat in the middle of nowhere super easy.
Great product, great guy!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #8935
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
hi chaps

how do I fit the original mirrors? I've just bought a new (secondhand) bike - the previous owner never fitted the mirrors. I've just gone to do it, but the thread highlighted is bigger (maybe M10?) than the actual thread on the bottom of the mirror assembly (maybe M8?)

any ideas? Is there a collet or adaptor that's missing? (this is a smc-r btw)

a pic in case anyone wants to see it:

CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #8936
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I have a 300 mile ride tomorrow so I did her first oil change today and installed the Scotts filters. 548 miles and nothing to speak of on the screens, magnet or in the drain pan so tomorrow we get to thrash the crap out of her and see if we can both make it back in one piece.

Oh by the way, I did 96 miles today, stopped, filled her up and she took 1.44 gallons so 60MPG for my 2013 with the FMF, stock filter and no SAS/canister for anyone wondering.
Is the stock filter now foam, or is it that awful paper filter that they put in the 2012 model ... ?

If it's not the foam filter, put one in and you'll be astonished by the difference - I think the $80 Rally Raid (Twin-Air) foam filter I fitted had more effect than the $800 Akrapovic ...

Hoots screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 01:20 AM
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #8937
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post

my handlebars are hitting the roadbook plate. Look at the pic below. You cant tell that the handlebars hit the roadbook plate but they do.
When you say handlebars do you mean your barkbusters?

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #8938
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
When you say handlebars do you mean your barkbusters?
My bars also touch the RB. I adjusted the RB as flat as practical and turn out the steering lock bolts to protect the RB in the event of a crash.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #8939
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHands View Post
hi chaps

how do I fit the original mirrors? I've just bought a new (secondhand) bike - the previous owner never fitted the mirrors. I've just gone to do it, but the thread highlighted is bigger (maybe M10?) than the actual thread on the bottom of the mirror assembly (maybe M8?)

any ideas? Is there a collet or adaptor that's missing? (this is a smc-r btw)

a pic in case anyone wants to see it:

There is an adapter piece that goes between the OEM mirror and the mounting point, part number 58412040050.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #8940
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
thanks
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote