User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #77026
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Moab

Went on my annual Maob trip in April. Was a little cooler than usual, but still had a blast. The DR performed flawlessly, as usual.

cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #77027
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
K&N would like to hear from you.

There is no special requirement after fitting a K&N High Flow Filter.

There is a business card to keep with your vehicle. It reads:

The installation of reusable products may be discouraged by some service providers who are misinformed or prefer the repeat business of selling disposable air filters. We will be pleased to answer any of their questions directly.

Your K&N replacement air filter or intake system is backed by one of the industry's best warranties. We also pledge you will never be taken advantage of by a service provider denying a warranty repair based on the presence of a K&N product.

PLEASE PHONE K&N DIRECT FOR FREE @ 1-800-858-3333
OR KNFILTERS.COM
It's good K & N are open to dealing with customers and answering queries.
Problem is some us go back a few years with K & N products ... and not all experiences are good. I've read quite a few first hand reports from riders using K & N. Dirt bikes, Dual Sport and Street bikes. I also have personal experiences with K & N.

I owned a very tricked out 1981 R100RS. It had the pancake sort of K & N that went in the RS's air box. I kept the filter clean and oiled regularly. The bike was never ridden on dirt roads ... yet I found dirt inside my Del Orto
Carbs on several occasions in the 40K miles I rode the bike. I asked a very good BMW dealer and friend. This guy is an expert mechanic, racer and amazing guy (sadly, no longer with us) His answer? It's the K & N.

A riding buddy had K & N pod filters on his inline four. Same story, dirt ingress. These sorts of stories are all over the net. No doubt some of this is the owners fault, not K&N's, Some claims will prove to be improper install or poor maintenance by owners.

But the negative reports are so pervasive and have been going on for SO LONG ... I think we have to conclude there are REAL issues with K & N air filters. I doubt it's some sort of "conspiracy" to discredit and ruin K & N by competitors.

Right here on this thread ... started in 2007 ... I've read several negative, first hand report on K & N. These on the DR and other bikes.
YMMV, IMHO, Blah Blah Blah.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 06:18 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #77028
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
It's good K & N are open to dealing with customers and answering queries.
Problem is some us go back a few years with K & N products ... and not all experiences are good. I've read quite a few first hand reports from riders using K & N. Dirt bikes, Dual Sport and Street bikes. I also have personal experiences with K & N.

I owned a very tricked out 1981 R100RS. It had the pancake sort of K & N that went in the RS's air box. I kept the filter clean and oiled regularly. The bike was never ridden on dirt roads ... yet I found dirt inside my Del Orto
Carbs on several occasions in the 40K miles I rode the bike. I asked a very good BMW dealer and friend. This guy is an expert mechanic, racer and amazing guy (sadly, no longer with us) His answer? It's the K & N.

A riding buddy had K & N pod filters on his inline four. Same story, dirt ingress. These sorts of stories are all over the net. No doubt some of this is the owners fault, not K&N's, Some claims will prove to be improper install or poor maintenance by owners.

But the negative reports are so pervasive and have been going on for SO LONG ... I think we have to conclude there are REAL issues with K & N air filters. I doubt it's some sort of "conspiracy" to discredit and ruin K & N by competitors.

Right here no this thread ... started in 2007 ... I've read several negative, first hand report on K & N. These on the DR and other bikes.
YMMV, IMHO, Blah Blah Blah.
Hold one up to a light ! Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #77029
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
cemory - very nice! Moab is still on my list.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #77030
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
your on the list.

have good weekend!
Just so you know, Dresda is my wife so between us, we want two.

And yes, we really are very happy with the levers...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #77031
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
So, K&N filters are no good whatsoever?

Should I go back to OEM or use something else?

No dirt riding.

Trip to Tierra Del Fuego planned, will try to find the best road surface possible as the Mrs Tucker doesn't 'enjoy' soft surface.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #77032
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118

Picked this new '12 up today and got it home just before the rain moved in. Come on sunshine!

Scott
'12DR650
'79GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #77033
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I for one, can't imagine ever putting my DR back to stock. The FCR works very nicely, smoothing out the bottom end and even the DJ kit was a vast improvement over stock. Tune them properly people!
Smoother then stock? My bone stock DR will climb anything its pointed at as smoothly as an electric motor,refuses to stall and runs the same from 10,000' to sea level. The plug has never shown a lean condition,it gets 50 mpg most all the time. I dont think I'll mess with it.

Its almost like the factory engineers tuned the airbox/exhaust/carb to all work together as a package and get the best happy medium for many uses.

A bike this big and tank like really doesnt need to go faster in the dirt.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #77034
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post

Picked this new '12 up today and got it home just before the rain moved in. Come on sunshine!

Scott
'12DR650
'79GS550
Nice New Toy! Let the Farkling begin!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #77035
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
So, K&N filters are no good whatsoever?

Should I go back to OEM or use something else?

No dirt riding.

Trip to Tierra Del Fuego planned, will try to find the best road surface possible as the Mrs Tucker doesn't 'enjoy' soft surface.
2 up to Tierra Del Fuego on a DR? I like it! I tend to sit all the way back on the seat even at 6' tall to cruise slabs so 2 up must be perfect and more power to you!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #77036
Thumper74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm chiming in on two things! I've had my DR650 for a little under a month. I love it. The girlfriend loves it. Once I get going and build my adventure sidecar, my lab will love it.

Second, K&N filters are known for this... Google 'dust out'
Thumper74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #77037
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
First, a huge thank you to ProCycle! What a great operation. I emailed Jeff the other day with questions on a few things and he put me in touch with one of his staff, Drum. We bounced emails back and forth and I made up my shopping list. I got down there this morning at 10:30 AM and he had everything on the counter waiting for me! So I plunked down the cash and drove away with some new stuff.

Got home, spent the day cleaning the grime off the airbox, suspension, etc, and then installing a fancy new Cogent rear shock with their special shaft assembly and a 7.5 spring. Next, I replaced my IMS gas tank with a new Acerbis 5.3 gal one and the twin petcock setup. Finally, I change the oil, lubed the chain and went for a ride. The shock and spring feels great. I do need to do a little tweaking of the settings to get it just right. I softened the clicker on top by one click... but... how do you adjust the rebound on this thing? I don't see any other clickers anywhere. On my KLX, it's another screw thing down at the bottom. On that bike, I ended up going two clicks back on the Compression and two clicks forward on Rebound.

Also, I got a rim lock in my last Rocky Mountain ATV/MC order since I have a set of D606's to go on my spare wheelset. But I was just thinking... do the DR wheels have holes for them or will I need to drill one? If I have to drill, where should I put it? Close to the valve stem or opposite from it?

Thanks!

Rob

PS: I posted my white IMS tank in the flea market. :)
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #77038
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Talking Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
First, a huge thank you to ProCycle! What a great operation.

Got home, spent the day cleaning the grime off the airbox, suspension, etc, and then installing a fancy new Cogent rear shock with their special shaft assembly and a 7.5 spring. The shock and spring feels great. I do need to do a little tweaking of the settings to get it just right. I softened the clicker on top by one click... but... how do you adjust the rebound on this thing? I don't see any other clickers anywhere. On my KLX, it's another screw thing down at the bottom. On that bike, I ended up going two clicks back on the Compression and two clicks forward on Rebound.

Rob

PS: I posted my white IMS tank in the flea market. :)
You didn't get a copy of the Moab shock tuning instructions?
You can read it or print it out on the PC website.
The quick answer is the red knob on the bottom of the shaft that goes around the shaft.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #77039
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
You didn't get a copy of the Moab shock tuning instructions?
You can read it or print it out on the PC website.
The quick answer is the red knob on the bottom of the shaft that goes around the shaft.
Nope; just found it on their website, thanks! I do need to set my sag soon as I can find somebody to measure for me. I think I have it pretty close as it is.

Good to know on the rebound adjuster. I'll add a click or two in the morning before I head out.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320

Rob.G screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 10:08 PM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #77040
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
2 up to Tierra Del Fuego on a DR? I like it! I tend to sit all the way back on the seat even at 6' tall to cruise slabs so 2 up must be perfect and more power to you!

NO! We have two DR's. The Mrs is an ADVRider! She's done 160,000 miles on BMW's since 2000.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote