User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #77011
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
HID headlight cheap!

Hey guys, sorry if this seems spammy, but I'd really like to stop dragging this around with me...

Used HID headlight kit $30 OBO over on the flea market!

This-a-way...
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #77012
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
your on the list.

have good weekend!
I'll take one when ready. Thanks!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #77013
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
There is no special requirement after fitting a K&N High Flow Filter.
In some applications K&N filters flow more than stock and in some they don't.

In the ones that they do, there being "no special requirement" is nice to say, but more flow means leaner mixture, which is great if the mixture was rich beforehand, less great if it was perfect before (unless you re-jet), and not so great at all if it was already too lean before (unless you re-jet).

In the ones that don't, I can personally attest to K&N making arrangements to get the filter back in their hands and refunding the purchase price.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #77014
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
EZ to jump on the list with an email to Kevin on Warp9's site, too. He's quick to respond and gave me the part numbers on the DR levers as well as an updated price. I'll wait 'til the starter cap is ready and get an order in.

I haven't treated the DR to some new stuff in a while.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #77015
Mud Missile
Aventurero

Oddometer: 170
Finally bit the bullet and bought a CD "Mojave"shock

I have a 05 DR that I have been running mostly stock. I have taken it to places where it shouldn't have been, or so people say, and my main complain has been the suspension. So, after 3 years of proud ownership, I installed emulators on the front and ordered the Mojave. It should be in my hands in about about a week. I'll be testing it on a trip to Sierra Madre Occidental, Mexico, in two weeks. Since I did not find a review of the Mojave on this thread, I will provide my input.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #77016
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
In some applications K&N filters flow more than stock and in some they don't.

In the ones that they do, there being "no special requirement" is nice to say, but more flow means leaner mixture, which is great if the mixture was rich beforehand, less great if it was perfect before (unless you re-jet), and not so great at all if it was already too lean before (unless you re-jet).

In the ones that don't, I can personally attest to K&N making arrangements to get the filter back in their hands and refunding the purchase price.

Regards,

Derek
I'm cool with that. You ought to know. Thanks.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #77017
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
I for one, can't imagine ever putting my DR back to stock. The FCR works very nicely, smoothing out the bottom end and even the DJ kit was a vast improvement over stock. Tune them properly people!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #77018
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Moab

Went on my annual Maob trip in April. Was a little cooler than usual, but still had a blast. The DR performed flawlessly, as usual.

cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #77019
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
K&N would like to hear from you.

There is no special requirement after fitting a K&N High Flow Filter.

There is a business card to keep with your vehicle. It reads:

The installation of reusable products may be discouraged by some service providers who are misinformed or prefer the repeat business of selling disposable air filters. We will be pleased to answer any of their questions directly.

Your K&N replacement air filter or intake system is backed by one of the industry's best warranties. We also pledge you will never be taken advantage of by a service provider denying a warranty repair based on the presence of a K&N product.

PLEASE PHONE K&N DIRECT FOR FREE @ 1-800-858-3333
OR KNFILTERS.COM
It's good K & N are open to dealing with customers and answering queries.
Problem is some us go back a few years with K & N products ... and not all experiences are good. I've read quite a few first hand reports from riders using K & N. Dirt bikes, Dual Sport and Street bikes. I also have personal experiences with K & N.

I owned a very tricked out 1981 R100RS. It had the pancake sort of K & N that went in the RS's air box. I kept the filter clean and oiled regularly. The bike was never ridden on dirt roads ... yet I found dirt inside my Del Orto
Carbs on several occasions in the 40K miles I rode the bike. I asked a very good BMW dealer and friend. This guy is an expert mechanic, racer and amazing guy (sadly, no longer with us) His answer? It's the K & N.

A riding buddy had K & N pod filters on his inline four. Same story, dirt ingress. These sorts of stories are all over the net. No doubt some of this is the owners fault, not K&N's, Some claims will prove to be improper install or poor maintenance by owners.

But the negative reports are so pervasive and have been going on for SO LONG ... I think we have to conclude there are REAL issues with K & N air filters. I doubt it's some sort of "conspiracy" to discredit and ruin K & N by competitors.

Right here on this thread ... started in 2007 ... I've read several negative, first hand report on K & N. These on the DR and other bikes.
YMMV, IMHO, Blah Blah Blah.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:18 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #77020
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
It's good K & N are open to dealing with customers and answering queries.
Problem is some us go back a few years with K & N products ... and not all experiences are good. I've read quite a few first hand reports from riders using K & N. Dirt bikes, Dual Sport and Street bikes. I also have personal experiences with K & N.

I owned a very tricked out 1981 R100RS. It had the pancake sort of K & N that went in the RS's air box. I kept the filter clean and oiled regularly. The bike was never ridden on dirt roads ... yet I found dirt inside my Del Orto
Carbs on several occasions in the 40K miles I rode the bike. I asked a very good BMW dealer and friend. This guy is an expert mechanic, racer and amazing guy (sadly, no longer with us) His answer? It's the K & N.

A riding buddy had K & N pod filters on his inline four. Same story, dirt ingress. These sorts of stories are all over the net. No doubt some of this is the owners fault, not K&N's, Some claims will prove to be improper install or poor maintenance by owners.

But the negative reports are so pervasive and have been going on for SO LONG ... I think we have to conclude there are REAL issues with K & N air filters. I doubt it's some sort of "conspiracy" to discredit and ruin K & N by competitors.

Right here no this thread ... started in 2007 ... I've read several negative, first hand report on K & N. These on the DR and other bikes.
YMMV, IMHO, Blah Blah Blah.
Hold one up to a light ! Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #77021
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
cemory - very nice! Moab is still on my list.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #77022
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
your on the list.

have good weekend!
Just so you know, Dresda is my wife so between us, we want two.

And yes, we really are very happy with the levers...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #77023
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,555
So, K&N filters are no good whatsoever?

Should I go back to OEM or use something else?

No dirt riding.

Trip to Tierra Del Fuego planned, will try to find the best road surface possible as the Mrs Tucker doesn't 'enjoy' soft surface.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #77024
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248

Picked this new '12 up today and got it home just before the rain moved in. Come on sunshine!

Scott
'12DR650
'79GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #77025
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I for one, can't imagine ever putting my DR back to stock. The FCR works very nicely, smoothing out the bottom end and even the DJ kit was a vast improvement over stock. Tune them properly people!
Smoother then stock? My bone stock DR will climb anything its pointed at as smoothly as an electric motor,refuses to stall and runs the same from 10,000' to sea level. The plug has never shown a lean condition,it gets 50 mpg most all the time. I dont think I'll mess with it.

Its almost like the factory engineers tuned the airbox/exhaust/carb to all work together as a package and get the best happy medium for many uses.

A bike this big and tank like really doesnt need to go faster in the dirt.