Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #15991
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
so I come home from 2 week vacation, and DR350 took a piss... thankfully in a plastic pan i placed under it.... the house reeked of gasoline... damn vacuum petcock and pumper carbs =) may have to upgrade to bigger tank with a better petcock.. which tank do you guys recommend? 93 dr350s kickstart,
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #15992
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
so I come home from 2 week vacation, and DR350 took a piss... thankfully in a plastic pan i placed under it.... the house reeked of gasoline... damn vacuum petcock and pumper carbs =) may have to upgrade to bigger tank with a better petcock.. which tank do you guys recommend? 93 dr350s kickstart,
I have never heard one person say they liked Clarke over IMS or vice versa. If you are running white plastics, Acerbis is also a good choice I think. However if you are like me, and do not run white plastics. Clarke will custom make a tank of any color of any other tank the sell for you. I needed a blue tank for my DR, and could not find one. They are making me one, and it will match the rest of my plastics. No more bubbling paint!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #15993
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
comparison

follow.this link for a Clark vs acerbis comparison

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=10711
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #15994
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
I have an ims 3.5 gal I'm not using
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #15995
Alli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
I assume you mean drill out the cover over the idle mixture screw. Use a small bit like .125" then use a sheet metal screw to pull out the plug. It's a piece of cake. Set your idle mixture about 1/2 turn out from where you find it. That's likely around 1.5 - 1.75 turns. There's more to the pumper carb than just the carb. You also need the rubber boot to the airbox, the cables and throttle tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman650 View Post
Okay guys I have a 91 350s all stock with hard start issues.I have read the posts back on pg 431 about drilling out the jet,went to my dealer to find out more on the tech sheet for suzuki's answer to the problem,and they no longer are a suzuki dealer.Does anyone have the tech sheet with the steps to doing this and what size drill to use?Or am I better to just get a pumper carb and be done with it.Thanks for the help.
snowman650

The problem was with the early floats, the jetting was too small, as you've figured out.(went through the same issue- ''90 DR350S) Just get the later float, '93 I think(part # will differ.... 13240-14D10 "faulty float and 13240-14D20 new and improved float assembly with enlarged jet.

Suzuki sent out the Tech sheet to the agents to prevent a recall and fix the problem before they had the new batch made.

Just get the later one, problem solved, no fiddling about with jets and drills.
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #15996
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
I have an Acerbis on mine and so far like it. I scored one really cheap so that was definitely part of the decision process. I was also leaning towards the Acerbis due to the dual petcocks. Plumbing them was kind of a pain but I now have 3 reserves !
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #15997
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
so I come home from 2 week vacation, and DR350 took a piss... thankfully in a plastic pan i placed under it.... the house reeked of gasoline... damn vacuum petcock and pumper carbs =)
It's not the petcock's fault alone, but primarily the float valve's (after all the petcock is open when the engine is running, and something must stop the overflowing then, right?).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #15998
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
So...this shift drum bolt...how many miles yinz got on your machines?
Mine fell out at 25k on a '91 DR350S.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #15999
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,408
Any suggestions on how (or if) to make the DR350 more friendly to high speed pavement? I've got a 1990 with stock gearing, which seems about right for high speed stuff. Don't want to switch tires from the IRC TR8's I'm running. Considering a wind screen of some sort.

Primarily, just looking for suggestions on how to make the bike more comfortable/enjoyable/stable at 60-70mph pavement, if possible.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #16000
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Any suggestions on how (or if) to make the DR350 more friendly to high speed pavement? I've got a 1990 with stock gearing, which seems about right for high speed stuff. Don't want to switch tires from the IRC TR8's I'm running. Considering a wind screen of some sort.

Primarily, just looking for suggestions on how to make the bike more comfortable/enjoyable/stable at 60-70mph pavement, if possible.

Best thing I ever did was to balance the tires for the rim locks :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #16001
Frankdozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
So Alli, if I read this correctly the only part I just need to order is part # 13240-14D20 for my 1990 Dr350S. Does this part# 13240-14D20 come with enlarged jet? Also, I don't need to do anything else. No drilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post
snowman650

The problem was with the early floats, the jetting was too small, as you've figured out.(went through the same issue- ''90 DR350S) Just get the later float, '93 I think(part # will differ.... 13240-14D10 "faulty float and 13240-14D20 new and improved float assembly with enlarged jet.

Suzuki sent out the Tech sheet to the agents to prevent a recall and fix the problem before they had the new batch made.

Just get the later one, problem solved, no fiddling about with jets and drills.
Frankdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #16002
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:

I'm taking August off to ride around the West. The DR is looking like the likely transportation since I'm selling the GL1000 and the GL1500 probably won't be finished by then. My dad is coming with me for part of it on his GL1500 and scoffs at the idea of riding a 350 thumper cross-country, but I think the little DR can do it with no problem. But it would be nice to hear some tips for improving her high-speed manners, too.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #16003
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:

Balancing the wheels, check.
Seat Concepts seat, check.
Michelin T63's, check.
Windscreen, check. I've got the Brittania Composites Lynx - windshield in down position here:

Several times I've ridden this bike 75 miles at highway speed so I could spend the day off in the mountains (which is why the shield is down), then did it again to get home that night. No problems. I also commute on it regularly, but that's just 20 minutes at speed.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #16004
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
So...this shift drum bolt...how many miles yinz got on your machines? or..when should a guy expect failure? i got 7k on mine..I dont have much trouble finding nuetral.. If bike is coasting i have no issues at all..if bike is sitting still running, SOMETIMES it takes that special touch.

Time to disect it?
My 1990 DR350s has about 4k on it. Only about 75 miles of those are mine. I noticed right away it was popping out of gear occasionally. Neutral wasn't that hard to find.

It really isn't all that difficult to check that bolt. A clutch holding tool (I got mine from RMATV, about $20) comes in really handy for the job. I also needed a gear puller (HF, about $30 for a set of 4) to get the kickstart lever off. Very straightforward process though and the peace of mind is priceless.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #16005
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
My 1990 DR350s has about 4k on it. Only about 75 miles of those are mine. I noticed right away it was popping out of gear occasionally. Neutral wasn't that hard to find.

It really isn't all that difficult to check that bolt. A clutch holding tool (I got mine from RMATV, about $20) comes in really handy for the job. I also needed a gear puller (HF, about $30 for a set of 4) to get the kickstart lever off. Very straightforward process though and the peace of mind is priceless.
Clutch holding tool, ill have to order one! ordered the Sidecase gasket yesterday, ill also have to goto hardware store or local dealer and get some copper squish washers for the oil line. i refuse to reuse those!! I aint having problems with it kicking outta gear at all. never have during the time ive owned it..but reading and seeing more about it just worries me.

Does anyone else by chance have the extended aluminum clutch arm on their DR? mine came in the tub of goodies that came with mine so i put it on a while back. i was sitting in the garage pondering yesterday about it VS the factory arm...all it does is make the "pull" easier right guys?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote