Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #1006
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
When doing an oil change (on whatever), as you are getting your tools and drain pails 'n stuff together, take the minute and go downstairs and bring up the big bag of clay cat litter that the ex-GF inadvertantly bought (I use clumping), and put the bag of clay litter next to your work area.

This will guarentee that you don't do any major spill'age.

(YMMV)

Mark
I may have picked up this tip here, if so here it is again. I keep floor dry handy in an old Parmesan cheese container. Very easy to grab, flip the lid, and shake some out when you have a spill.

I used to use kitty litter until my neighbor gave me a bucket of floor dry. It's ground much finer and does work better.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #1007
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
x-posted from another thread by request:

I screwed 2 eye hooks into the bottom of the garage wall, used 2 tie-downs to secure the bike, and then used my floor jack, I still use this technique on other bikes, I love cheap tricks.

I'd be cautious about this technique. It concentrates most of the weight of the bike on a single point on the bottom of the bike which is supported by a jack on wheels (balancing on a 2x4 it would appear in this particular case). And wrestling a rear tire in/out often requires some pushing and shoving. This won't be cheap when the whole thing tumbles to one side, especially if you're under it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #1008
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Never ever trust an hydraulic jack on its own. Always use blocks or jackstands to safety your vehicle.

Them cheap floor jacks....one of the rear wheel bracket broke right off first time I tried to use one of them and I was nowhere near the supposed lifting limit of that one.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #1009
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
I wouldn't trust the jack to start rolling to the side and dropping the bike or the tire of the bike sliding out against the wall. If it were my bike I would build a simple box frame out of wood or steel, leaving one side open for the jack to slide in and out and the others to support the bike on the frame rails. A big milk crate with side and top open.
I have two bike jacks from crappy tire($90 each, one was given to me), harbor freight and sears sells similar down in the states pretty cheap.
I've had my croozer up on mine, both tires off and its still pretty stable.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #1010
wos
Beastly Adventurer

For oil spills try peat moss. We use it at work in the hangar, CF18's leak like sieves. The peat moss pulls the fuel and oil up quick but leave quite a lot of dust.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #1011
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Floor dry works the best, but I use kitty liter. The big box stores just toss the stuff if the boxes are busted open. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and picked up 300 pounds of kitty liter at no cost. That was in 1998. My friends and I still have plenty of it left.
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #1012
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Here is my homemade front stand for my ZRX. The top u- shaped piece gets zip tied to the frame rails. Then jack the bike up, and screw the "legs" into place. I had wood & screws laying around. The hardest part was getting the rounded profile into the edge of the 2x4. I used a hole saw working from one edge, then the other.

1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #1013
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
If you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Here is my homemade front stand for my ZRX. The top u- shaped piece gets zip tied to the frame rails. Then jack the bike up, and screw the "legs" into place. I had wood & screws laying around. The hardest part was getting the rounded profile into the edge of the 2x4. I used a hole saw working from one edge, then the other.

ever have to make more of the half round cuts, drill thru the board first then cut it in half using the center of the hole as your dividing line.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #1014
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,375
I know I posted this somewhere earlier so forgive me if I'm being redundant.
Lifting the tire and rim the last few inches to match the splines was a bitch so I reached for one of the tools of my trade.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #1015
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,375
Quote:
x-posted from another thread by request:

I screwed 2 eye hooks into the bottom of the garage wall, used 2 tie-downs to secure the bike, and then used my floor jack, I still use this technique on other bikes, I love cheap tricks.

I know this looks kinda sketchy but it works. I had to make a repair in a hurry so I used the back bumper of my Jeep instead of a wall with the bike on a floor jack. It was surprisingly stable.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #1016
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I know I posted this somewhere earlier so forgive me if I'm being redundant.
Lifting the tire and rim the last few inches to match the splines was a bitch so I reached for one of the tools of my trade.

If that valve stem would exit to the right it would be alot EZ to check on the side stand.

this is a RV screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 05:20 AM Reason: ZG1000 wheel.
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #1017
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I use a muffin tin with a magnet attached to the bottom for a small parts collector. Each muffin hole is numbered for easy reassembly.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #1018
wos
Beastly Adventurer

old cookie sheet with the corner cut out works great as a sorting tray. I've got some coffee cans full of odd screws, bolts or rivets in the garage. Dump the can in the tray, spread them out and get what you need and then pour them back in easily with the cut out corner.
The peat moss trick I used seems to pull the oil out of unsealed concrete where-as the kitty litter only takes the liquid off the top. Messy but for final cleanup seems to work well in conjunction with the kitty litter.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #1019
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I know this looks kinda sketchy but it works. I had to make a repair in a hurry so I used the back bumper of my Jeep instead of a wall with the bike on a floor jack. It was surprisingly stable.
Yeah, mine was as stable as any way I have ever lifted a bike, but leave it to the guys that are just looking at a picture to be the real experts on the stability, instead of us guys who have actually done it....
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #1020
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Yeah, mine was as stable as any way I have ever lifted a bike, but leave it to the guys that are just looking at a picture to be the real experts on the stability, instead of us guys who have actually done it....
I must have missed a few posts, I haven't seen anyone knock this. Why so defensive?
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote