ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
Ridingman1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
132 mile loop Start and Finish in Gowansville, SC

The linked route starts and finishes in Gowansville, SC
Stats and major route features:

132 miles, 4.5 hour elapsed time

Gravel Roads:
Pearsons Falls
Pace Mountain
Lake Summit
Pinnacle Mountain
Sky Valley
Cascade lakes
FS 475 in Pisgah
Green River Road

Link to Map view: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1039911/full.png
Link to ride file with downloadable GPX: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1039911#

Left Gowansville at 10:00 AM
Lunch stop in Brevard
Started with full tank and did not need to refuel.
I am using Michelin Anakee 2's and did not have any problems.
All road surfaces are maintained gravel - some surfaces were freshly scraped.

'74 R90/6, '01 R1150GS, '12 R1200GSA
Ridingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingman1 View Post
Great roads! Have you ridden Cascade Lake road? It has a nice waterfall at the dam to Cascade lake.

On another note, I found a leak around my final drive during my ride today and need to finish diagnosing it. I hope my simple fix is all that is needed to correct it.
I haven't ridden on that road yet but waterfall sounds nice. I went on a ride to musterground mountain in the jocassee area. Hwy 11 southwest, right on Hwy 130, enter Bad Creek Area on right, go downhill, make first left. The trail starts past the parking lot. Here's the link to google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=muste...+Mountain&z=14

It is a seasonal road (all roads will continue to be open seasonally beginning September 15 through January 2 and during the month of April). Here's a link to the DNR site
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/managed/wild/j...anagement8.htm

There's a point where it gets beyond gravel and becomes double track with a couple rough spots. I am a 5'8", 170 lbs guy wrestling with a 475 lbs Wee with battle wings, with no previous experience off road but I made it all the way to the top where it splits in four single track trails, not sure if they're authorized for OHV.

I know this is a GPS thread and everyone wants to see GPX files but I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories

trespalacios screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 12:39 PM
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Ridingman1 OP
Adventurer

I have heard about these roads, and would like to check them out. Put it on the list!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Horse pasture rd

Robert (KLickeR) and I went yesterday on a ride and explored the horse pasture rd. There are spots where the gravel is too big, too much but other than that a very pleasant ride with beautiful scenery. Here's a link to the road

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...&z=13&lci=bike

There's a little creek to cross (Creek crossing 101) to add to the fun. A word of caution: plenty of blind spots. We encountered many four wheel drive vehicles including a black F-150 driven by a teenager who just kept going as fast a he could, leaving just enough room for the bike to squeeze in going downhill with the cliff on our right.

Definitely worth bringing in your camera on this trip. Just say when Ridingman1
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
Ridingman1 OP
Adventurer

Escape to Musterground Mountain 12-7-12

Check out the ride report at this link -->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post20251668

Ridingman1 screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 06:23 PM Reason: Move to its own ride report thread
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Awesome report

... and thanks for being so kind to me and not mentioning the second sandy pit fall going uphill. I do recall some adjustments made to your big beast and after that you made it look like you were riding a 250cc dirt bike. Priceless friendship. Let's do it again!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #22
Honkylicious
sup?

Oddometer: 917
Thumb

Thanks for the write up Rich. But to be truthful, when no one was looking, I drove my KLR into the bushes, hopped off, and laid it on its side. Didn't want you guys to feel bad about dropping your bikes, and having me to help pick them up.
Can't wait to do it agian!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
waybill
cheap thrill

n1;17797808]Anyone have maps of dual sport routes/gravel roads in the upstate SC?[/QUOTE]

That Horsepasture Rd. area is nice, I found it several years ago on a tip from some Asheville guys, doesn't appear open in summer though. Here's a (sizable) day loop you guys could do a little west of there, I can't do a gps file at the moment but here are directions.

From 11 head N on 130 quite a way, then left on Cheohee Valley rd, right on Cherokee Lk rd, then veer right on Winding stairs rd. Right on 107, left on Burrells Ford rd, right on 28, left on Warwoman then just down the hill (at bridge) right on Overflow Creek rd, cont. N onto Hale Ridge rd to 106 and turn right, then left on Turtle Pond rd. Right on 28, cont. straight thru Highlands (don't turn) and becomes Horse Cove rd. At fork go right on Bull Pen rd (nice picnic spot at the iron bridge) then right on 107, left on Oscar Wiginton then right back onto 130. Seven of those roads are gravel, some more maintained than others, and easily doable on a KLR, Wee, GS, etc., no water crossings but plenty of good scenery. Maybe one of yall can map it, get the mileage and estimate the time it takes. It's probably a relatively full day from Greenville counting lunch and pit stops.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350

waybill screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 08:09 PM
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
n1;17797808]Anyone have maps of dual sport routes/gravel roads in the upstate SC?
That Horsepasture Rd. area is nice, I found it several years ago on a tip from some Asheville guys, doesn't appear open in summer though. Here's a (sizable) day loop you guys could do a little west of there, I can't do a gps file at the moment but here are directions.

From 11 head N on 130 quite a way, then left on Cheohee Valley rd, right on Cherokee Lk rd, then veer right on Winding stairs rd. Right on 107, left on Burrells Ford rd, right on 28, left on Warwoman then just down the hill (at bridge) right on Overflow Creek rd, cont. N onto Hale Ridge rd to 106 and turn right, then left on Turtle Pond rd. Right on 28, cont. straight thru Highlands (don't turn) and becomes Horse Cove rd. At fork go right on Bull Pen rd (nice picnic spot at the iron bridge) then right on 107, left on Oscar Wiginton then right back onto 130. Seven of those roads are gravel, some more maintained than others, and easily doable on a KLR, Wee, GS, etc., no water crossings but plenty of good scenery. Maybe one of yall can map it, get the mileage and estimate the time it takes. It's probably a relatively full day from Greenville counting lunch and pit stops.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bill. It seems very nice, about 190 miles from the intersection of Hwys 25 and 11 according to google maps. Will include it in a future trip and hopefully bring Ridingman1 along since he is officially the ride reporter in chief.

Here's the link:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...18413,0.308647

trespalacios screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 12:46 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
waybill
cheap thrill

Looks good. There's quite a bit of elevation gain on Winding Stairs and Overflow Cr/Hale Ridge, then you fall back off the plateau in a hurry out of Highlands. There are some other variations too, longer, shorter, and more difficult, I'll be interested to see what you think.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
Looks good. There's quite a bit of elevation gain on Winding Stairs and Overflow Cr/Hale Ridge, then you fall back off the plateau in a hurry out of Highlands. There are some other variations too, longer, shorter, and more difficult, I'll be interested to see what you think.
Looks like I'll be checking it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Musterground to NC Gorges

Went back on friday before the rain and explored the musterground area again. We did all the in and outs and on our way back took the trail to the NC Gorges. I'm glad it was dry as that route is far more technical than the rest. Lots of fun!!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Burrels Ford Rd

I went this Saturday (glorious weather) on a ride around 107 and took Burrels Ford Rd (thanks waybill!!). Nice gravel road, graded and well maintained, easily done on any street bike. Off of it though, there are two double tracks heading to campsites. There were not extremely technical but since I have battlewings and lower clearance I have to pick better my route so in a few spots I was dodging vegetation.

Here's naked Suzie resting on the forest's shade

A little water crossing

The washout road. No challenging track ever looks hard on pictures

Since I don't know how to paste maps here's the link to the area:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Burre...29664&t=m&z=16

Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
1worshipguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Laugh Double track in upstate SC

I'm new to this forum and new to dual sporting and to my 2007 1200GS Adventure. Never done any offroading (on purpose).

Found a dirt road today of about 5 miles or so. Going north on Hwy 276, after Cesar's head, take Cascade Lake Rd to the right at the fire dept. then immediately to the right again onto Reasonover Rd. A few miles in, it turns to gravel for about 5 miles or so. It's a well maintained road and I faced little difficulty even with my inexperience. I actually took it from the other direction but don't recall how I got there...just knew I wanted to go back so took notes on the way out!

Also, got lost and found a double track but was alone (and with no experience, no guts!). Oil Camp Creek Rd. you can find it by taking River Falls Rd off of Hwy 11 about a mile or so west of the 11/276 split that sends 276 into Marietta and 11 goes off to the north. Anyway, a few miles up River Falls, you'll find Oil Camp Creek Road off to the left.

A few miles in, there's a Y, stay right (left dead ends into a private driveway and gate). About 1/4 mile up, the right of the Y "dead ends" into a double track. My Garmin showed it continuing, but Google maps doesn't show it.

However, after chickening out and finding another route and coming down Hwy 276 from North to South, I found the other end of that double track off to my left, again, my Garmin showing it as Oil Camp Creek Rd, and even having a stop sign to enter 276. It looked like quite a ride.

Anyone done this little ride?

Looking forward to finding these other routes. Thanks for posting them!
1worshipguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #30
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1worshipguy View Post
A few miles in, there's a Y, stay right (left dead ends into a private driveway and gate). About 1/4 mile up, the right of the Y "dead ends" into a double track. My Garmin showed it continuing, but Google maps doesn't show it.

However, after chickening out and finding another route and coming down Hwy 276 from North to South, I found the other end of that double track off to my left, again, my Garmin showing it as Oil Camp Creek Rd, and even having a stop sign to enter 276. It looked like quite a ride.

Anyone done this little ride?

Looking forward to finding these other routes. Thanks for posting them!
Haven't done it but look forward to doing it soon. Thanks