Hell. I'll own it. slowoldgoat.

The paint has dried.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #2687
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Has anybody added a axillary fuse block to their sportster ?

I have one on my Vstrom, for heated grips, heated gear, lighter plug for gps/phone , battery tender,etc......

Problem with the sportster is there isn't much room to put one...

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #2688
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Has anybody added a axillary fuse block to their sportster ?

I have one on my Vstrom, for heated grips, heated gear, lighter plug for gps/phone , battery tender,etc......

Problem with the sportster is there isn't much room to put one...
Mine came factory equiped with a fused SAE plug for a Tender. I plug my vest into it with a little homemade pigtail, It would probably be easier to hide inline fuses for the individual circuits for other accessories, since as you said, there really isn't any spare space for a dedicated fuse panel. Everything under the seat and battery cover is pretty jam packed. I've never looked at the fuse box to see if there are any unused circuits but I suppose it's possible.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #2689
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
I'd like to get a larger gas tank to swap on to my 2006 Roadster for longer trips and I'm wondering what tanks from other years and other models would be bolt-on replacements. Mine is rubber mounted, but still carbureted.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #2690
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
There's the larger tank from the '04-'06 'custom.' I think it requires a different seat though but I could be wrong. Not sure if there are aftermarket larger tanks.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #2691
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
Today I finally had my suspension work done on my '13 1200 custom. Finally because I was really in shock about the crap stock suspension. Bottoming out, full dives until a solid 'clunk' indicated that the bottom of the front was reached, dangerous breaking, almost zero suspension travel, no dampening whatsoever. Riding 2-up? No go with stock shocks.

Having great experience with Hyperpro in the past with my track bikes and recently off-road, they custom made a pair of rear shocks and figured out a better front set-up. Well, the result is truly amazing and I can recommend to all stock suspension owners to get a replacement. My 1200c feels like a race bike now! Ground clearance is up with about 2cm and suspension travel increased greatly, as did comfort!

Look at the stock spring. Linear, way to thin and weak with a huge spacer. That will never work. The new progressive spring, without spacer, does it's work properly!

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #2692
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I'd like to get a larger gas tank to swap on to my 2006 Roadster for longer trips and I'm wondering what tanks from other years and other models would be bolt-on replacements. Mine is rubber mounted, but still carbureted.

Any '04 thru '06 tank will work. You have a 3.3 gal tank and the larger ones are 4.4 gal. I think those two tanks are the same length, with the larger one just wider for the extra volume, and the 2.1 like on my 48 is shorter and narrower. A seat for the longer tanks will work with the smaller tanks, just leaving a larger gap between the seat and tank, but a seat that fits snug to the rear of the 2.1 gal tank won't work with the larger tanks. Again, I think your seat would work with and of the tanks but don't take my work for that since I'm not certain. The "Custom" came with the larger tank but I'm not sure what others may have also.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #2693
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
There's the larger tank from the '04-'06 'custom.' I think it requires a different seat though but I could be wrong. Not sure if there are aftermarket larger tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Any '04 thru '06 tank will work. You have a 3.3 gal tank and the larger ones are 4.4 gal. I think those two tanks are the same length, with the larger one just wider for the extra volume, and the 2.1 like on my 48 is shorter and narrower. A seat for the longer tanks will work with the smaller tanks, just leaving a larger gap between the seat and tank, but a seat that fits snug to the rear of the 2.1 gal tank won't work with the larger tanks. Again, I think your seat would work with and of the tanks but don't take my work for that since I'm not certain. The "Custom" came with the larger tank but I'm not sure what others may have also.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Now I can narrow the search a bit. I have found quite a few aftermarket tanks on E-Bay, but they come with all kinds of caveats (may leak gas, recommend tank sealant, etc). Probably just CYA but still I'd rather just stick with a 4.4 gal factory tank if I can source one.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #2694
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Now I can narrow the search a bit. I have found quite a few aftermarket tanks on E-Bay, but they come with all kinds of caveats (may leak gas, recommend tank sealant, etc). Probably just CYA but still I'd rather just stick with a 4.4 gal factory tank if I can source one.

If you haven't already, try posting a request over on xlforum's "wtb, wts, wtt" thread. Somebody probably has one they want to part with.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #2695
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 136

Why buy a bigger tank? My 3.3 takes me along all the long boring Australian roads, with a few old oil containers for extra fuel.
Even had to syphon some out to keep my wife's Yammy going!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #2696
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Why buy a bigger tank? My 3.3 takes me along all the long boring Australian roads, with a few old oil containers for extra fuel.
Where I ride access to gas is never a problem, but sometimes having to stop every 100 miles is a little annoying. I was always happy to take a break to fuel up and stretch my legs every couple of hours on every other bike I've had, but the Sportster is the first one that's comfortable enough that I'd rather not have to stop so often.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #2697
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Where I ride access to gas is never a problem, but sometimes having to stop every 100 miles is a little annoying. I was always happy to take a break to fuel up and stretch my legs every couple of hours on every other bike I've had, but the Sportster is the first one that's comfortable enough that I'd rather not have to stop so often.
I have been sitting on my Sporty for nearly 200 000km (124 000 miles) and agree with the comfort comment.

My fuel tank will last for nearly two hours.
But my bladder only lasts for one!
So where should I increase my capacity?
Rob
Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #2698
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Today I finally had my suspension work done on my '13 1200 custom. Finally because I was really in shock about the crap stock suspension. Bottoming out, full dives until a solid 'clunk' indicated that the bottom of the front was reached, dangerous breaking, almost zero suspension travel, no dampening whatsoever. Riding 2-up? No go with stock shocks.

Having great experience with Hyperpro in the past with my track bikes and recently off-road, they custom made a pair of rear shocks and figured out a better front set-up. Well, the result is truly amazing and I can recommend to all stock suspension owners to get a replacement. My 1200c feels like a race bike now! Ground clearance is up with about 2cm and suspension travel increased greatly, as did comfort!

Look at the stock spring. Linear, way to thin and weak with a huge spacer. That will never work. The new progressive spring, without spacer, does it's work properly!

I've heard good things about Hyperpro. Too bad they aren't better represented here in the states. Any idea how they compare, price wise, with comparable shocks from Ohlins, Wilbers, or others? I'm planning on Ohlins in the future but until I actually drop the coin my mind is open to other options.

Odd about the fork springs. The stock spring in my 48 looked like your Hyperpro ones, and didn't look anything like your stock one. No spacer either. In fact, just to get the sag set I ended up having to cut 2.5" (6.35 cm) from my stock springs. They had over 4 inches (10 cm) of preload stock! I'm sure your Hyperpros are of a better rate though since I think mine are a bit soft.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #2699
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post

Yes, there don't seem to be any "highway services" there

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #2700
Blumtnman
Rider

Oddometer: 267
Thumb Quick

Hah, great post. Best crossing I've seen, I even liked the music. Good ol' Benny .