Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Wrong, centrifugal force, per newton, is the opposite reaction from centripetal force. As he described it. Unless of course, you are smarter than Newton. Which may be possible. But I will stick with Newton's laws for now.

I'm not sure if I am smarter than Sir Isaac, but I have the benefit of an education built on more than 350yrs of additional discovery based on empirical method than he had. Newton, along with Leibniz, Hooke and Huygens (who first coined the term) was wrong in this regard. This is freshman mechanics. As taught in every remotely reputeable university physics course (and high school as I recall) centrifugal force is ficticious. The concept of centrifugal force was based on intuitive perception of curvilinear motion.

By the way, if, by Newton's laws, you mean Sir Isaac Newton's three laws of motion, you're absolutely right standing by them, but none of them identify, nor support the concept of "centrifugal force".
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #32
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Wrong, centrifugal force, per newton, is the opposite reaction from centripetal force. As he described it. Unless of course, you are smarter than Newton. Which may be possible. But I will stick with Newton's laws for now.

Its a created or fictitious force, centripetal is the opposing for force to an object moving in an arc for whatever reason, string, tire track, camber force, whatever.

Both move from the axis, and the centripetal force won't cause the car to spin, it trying to pull the car off whatever line it is on.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,819
Quote:
Centrifugal Force, in physics, the tendency of an object following a curved path to fly away from the center of curvature.

Centrifugal force is not a true force; it is a form of inertia (the tendency of objects that are moving in a straight line to continue moving in a straight line).

Centrifugal force is referred to as a force for convenience—because it balances centripetal force, which is a true force.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #34
linkweewee OP
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,812
half the stands are empty on what looks to be a beautiful day/road course in Detroit today
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #35
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
half the stands are empty on what looks to be a beautiful day/road course in Detroit today
Two day event, first day won by a guy who won't race ovals. I thought Sunday's race was pretty good.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Two day event, first day won by a guy who won't race ovals. I thought Sunday's race was pretty good.
Guess flying into the catch fencing twice was enough for him. Can't say I blame him though. Scary crashes

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Guess flying into the catch fencing twice was enough for him. Can't say I blame him though. Scary crashes
Oh yeah, I don't blame him at all. A completely foreign form of racing and he almost dies twice. Time to take a hint. He's doing the right thing.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: