Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #196
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Thanks for taking us along on your weird bad trip, blaster.

Now that I have joined you in the Lisfranc club, this is really useful information.

I am wired together currently, but the doc is talking about fusing the joints right out of the box, for the reason you describe--bone wear, breakdown and arthritis formation on the articulating surfaces.

How is your foot doing currently?
Sorry to hear you joined the club! I wish you all the luck and take it easy like they say.

Actually not all that well. I have scheduled the next surgery for October, which will be fusing the first three metatarsals, fixing a torn ligament, and also an impingement in my ankle. The doc that I got my second opinion from hooked me up with an ankle brace which has made life WAY better. Still hurts a lot but now I can get through the entire day and get a tremendous amount of stuff done which I was unable to do before.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #197
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Well, hell. I hope the next round of surgery does you much better. What type and brand of ankle brace is it that works so well?

Also, besides your ankle and ligament injuries, it does seem that fusion tends to produce better long-term results than screw (ORIF) fixation for Lisfranc injuries...

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/jo...actures?full=1

Need to talk to my own doc about the future--not sure whether the K-Wires will come out and that's that, or whether the next step is a choice between ORIF and fusion surgery.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #198
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Well, hell. I hope the next round of surgery does you much better. What type and brand of ankle brace is it that works so well?

Also, besides your ankle and ligament injuries, it does seem that fusion tends to produce better long-term results than screw (ORIF) fixation for Lisfranc injuries...

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/jo...actures?full=1

Need to talk to my own doc about the future--not sure whether the K-Wires will come out and that's that, or whether the next step is a choice between ORIF and fusion surgery.
Still riding the Trans Eastern Trail so I will have to get back with you next week.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #199
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Here is the ankle support I am currently using and it works really well in my opinion.
http://www.bledsoebrace.com/products...le-stabilizer/
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #200
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Thanks. So glad to hear that you are on the trail! Hope it's a great ride.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #201
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Actually it was a very good ride and the riding boots made the ride more enjoyable than walking in my daily shoes....very good support.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #202
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,826
So today is surgery day part duex. Just like Blaster loves the first airplane flight of the day, he also loves to be the first in surgery.

I guess in some sense, that is a good idea. You either get a surgeon that is really on his game vs tired, or one that needs a few warm-up rounds. I am hoping for the former.

Anyhow, after admitting, we trotted down stairs to see the Anesthesiologist, the fellow, the Dr and the OR nurse. I always get an edgy feeling when they don't seem have a firm grasp on the voluminous file on the human. However, today was different. The OR nurse asked a rather strange line of questioning.

OR Nurse: So, you came in last year through the ER room?
Blaster: Yes
OR: And Dr Shon has been your attending physician the entire time?
Blaster: Yes
OR: Strange..LOOONG PAUSE.
Blaster: Why is that
OR: You see, people fly in all around the world to schedule with him, so usually he doesn't have room to see ER patients.
Blaster: Oh, that is because we had a good friend recommend him and we were transferred from po-dunk Southern MD to see him

Here's to hoping that he decides to wake up in another 3 hours..
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #203
keithmckenney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
good luck with the recovery

Glad to hear it went OK.

Let's hope the pain subsides soon.

Does this mean he can't come out and play tomorrow?
keithmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #204
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Post Op: Day 2

So last time we did this rodeo, Blaster was in the hospital longer. The nice part about that is they have better IV drugs which respond to Ping-Pong of pain much faster.

Today, we had a wild rollercoaster of pain and sleeping. It seems the initial dose wasn't really getting to the crux of the pain, and luckily the doc was able to adjust the dosing during their follow-up call today. Now the pain is controlled, but we've not got many minutes of lucidity. At this point, it seems all but inevitable that he'll just need to sleep this one off for a few days.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #205
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Any competent Orthopedic would have x-rayed you first, to rule out a FX, BEFORE reducing the DL!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #206
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
Any competent Orthopedic would have x-rayed you first, to rule out a FX, BEFORE reducing the DL!
Google Lew Schon, not thinking being competent is a problem.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #207
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
At first I thought this sounded like an easy thing to deal with than a broken foot but his is worse, Two surgeries and nothing was broken... damn!

Good luck mate

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #208
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
I am not normally one to give Washington DC grandiose props as an area to live. However, I will say that it has been incredibly fortuitous when it comes to medical needs because top-notch medical professionals tend to follow population density. When my competition horse went lame, I had three large vet schools within 2 hours of the house. Ultimately, the horse ended up with the vet that attends to the US Olympic horses.

But let's get back to people. Getting up every few hours for check on deal 'ol Blaster, I've got some idle time to document "who is".
His bio here

Quote:
Lisfranc injuries occur in approximately 1 in 55,000 people per year. There are varying degrees of injury, making it difficult to classify them
Given that the US has a population of 330M people, and we assume that 10% have orthopedic injuries in a year, that means roughly 600 Lisfranc injuries annually. So, clearly we are probably going to need someone that does this "routinely". I didn't have any negative findings, which doesn't really surprise me given the closed-nature of the medical industry. However, he's a cross deck of the information that I've found. I realize that rankings are only as good as the survey, but these were some of the bigger rankings.

--Union Memorial Hospital is ranked 31st nationwide for Orthopedics by US News. Dr. Schon is the Director of Foot and Ankle Services

--Board Member, American Orthopaedic foot and ankle society . I also believe that he picked up the Presidency position in Jun/Jul of this year, but the website appears not to have been updated yet.

--Dr Schon was ranked in the Nations top 23 Ankle and Foot Doctors by Orthopedics This Week

--How about some riveting reading? Here's the last 107 papers he's published

Dorito screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 05:57 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #209
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,238
Damn, those injuries look gruesome.. Ankle/feet injuries are the worst (says my doc)... just such a complicated area of the body.

In 2002, I broke my ankle from a XR250 footpeg hammer, looking back I'm happy it was only a broken ankle!

I'm curious what the general consensus is on most protective boot for this sort of injury? I don't know why it would be difficult for a manufacturer to just slide a steel shank up the inboard sides of boots to protect against this seemingly common injury.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #210
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Seems like you struck a "raw" nerve with your comment. What's your take on this NYTrainer? What else can you bring to this discussion? Please share your experience.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote