ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #121
pnw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
to buy or not to buy?

Costco sells Garmin Zumo 350LM 4.3" Motorcycle GPS for $599 after rebate. I donít need it so much for main roads but more for WABDR and the Oregon BDR (or whatever it is called). Does anyone know if forest service roads are on the maps?
I donít really want a GPS that will take days of research and fiddling around to get to work. My Nuvi car GPS has been a on road lifesaver at times but like all GPS software has its limitations so Iím not expecting perfection but for the cost of the Zumo I would hope for a good, functional and relatively easy to use product.
Does anyone know if Costco carries them in the warehouse rather than just online?
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #122
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer: 452
$100 Zumo rebate (through 30 June 2013)

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2...in-rebate.html

I'm still not convinced, but this helps.

Last year's road trip: MN - UT - OR - MN

TraumaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #123
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post
Costco sells Garmin Zumo 350LM 4.3" Motorcycle GPS for $599 after rebate. I donít need it so much for main roads but more for WABDR and the Oregon BDR (or whatever it is called). Does anyone know if forest service roads are on the maps?
I donít really want a GPS that will take days of research and fiddling around to get to work. My Nuvi car GPS has been a on road lifesaver at times but like all GPS software has its limitations so Iím not expecting perfection but for the cost of the Zumo I would hope for a good, functional and relatively easy to use product.
Does anyone know if Costco carries them in the warehouse rather than just online?
You need to have Track viewing and display-on-map capabilities if you are going to navigate any of the Backcountry Discovery Routes, including WABDR and OBDR. To my knowledge, the zumo 350LM does not have Track Import support - but then I don't own one so someone correct me please if I'm out of date with the 350LM capabilities.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #124
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You need to have Track viewing and display-on-map capabilities if you are going to navigate any of the Backcountry Discovery Routes, including WABDR and OBDR. To my knowledge, the zumo 350LM does not have Track Import support - but then I don't own one so someone correct me please if I'm out of date with the 350LM capabilities.

Cheers,
You are correct. One cannot simply import a track and then see it on screen. I have tried repeatedly.

However, there may be a workaround where the track has to be re-named to something else like people have done with the Zumo 550s. I have not explored that option personally, but since it seems that one can look back at old tracks, it might be possible. However, I think that for the rider who needs tracks, it is a better idea to get a unit that supports them right out of the box. That would mean Montana (definite), or (I think) the 660/665.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #125
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I may be dreaming but I remember seeing a friend of mine modify a route on his Zumo 550 with a tool that looked like the rubber band shaping tool thing. Is there a way to do this or to locate and add a random via point to a route on the 350?
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #126
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You are correct. One cannot simply import a track and then see it on screen. I have tried repeatedly.

However, I think that for the rider who needs tracks, it is a better idea to get a unit that supports them right out of the box. That would mean Montana (definite), or (I think) the 660/665.
And yet Garmin say you can plot a route in base amp and send to the 350!
But are you talking specifically about a TRACK?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #127
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
And yet Garmin say you can plot a route in base amp and send to the 350!
But are you talking specifically about a TRACK?
Yes. A route is one thing. A track is another. A route is the thing that gives you turn by turn directions with voice prompts. A track is just a line on the map.

No problem creating routes in BaseCamp and pushing them to a 350 and then following them. Works like a champ. Tracks, not so much.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #128
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Yes. A route is one thing. A track is another. A route is the thing that gives you turn by turn directions with voice prompts. A track is just a line on the map.

No problem creating routes in BaseCamp and pushing them to a 350 and then following them. Works like a champ. Tracks, not so much.
OK i thought so,thanks for the clarification
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #129
Emoto
Sure, why not?

FYI, there is a software update available:

zumo 350 (GCD File)

(43.29 MB)

Change History

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

• Added the option to display a clock on the map page.
  • Added the ability to enter location coordinates using European coordinate systems.
  • Improved address entry functionality.
  • Fixed the display of speed limits that are enforced only at certain hours of the day.
  • Fixed an issue that caused audible traffic alerts to repeat.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the device to shut down when used with some 3rd-party GPI files.
  • Fixed several search issues.
  • Fixed several map-drawing issues.
  • Fixed several display formatting issues.
  • Improved software stability.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #130
Twigas
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Zumo 350 29 viapoint limit work around

I have a brand new Zumo 350ml that I am using for off road dirt biking. After a ride I save the trackback as a trip. The trip I can see and use on the Zumo no problem at all.

I then transfer it to my PC using Base Camp and delete the trip in the Zumo so that I am sure that my next trip will be recorded separately.

In Base Camp I can see the trips that I have saved (in Base Camp they are called tracks) and I can also convert them into routes.

Now, the problem is when I try to load them back into my Zumo. You have to convert them from a track to a route to transfer them back to a Zumo 350. You can transfer a track to a Zumo 350 but you won’t be able to see it in the Zumo, or at least I can’t. So you have to transfer a ROUTE.

After transferring the route to the Zumo 350 I get an error message on the Zumo saying that the trip (back to trips again) has more than 29 viapoints and the trip has been broken up into 23 separate trips!!! We are talking about only a 80 km trip here.

I have checked and it is confirmed. The Zumo 350 has a max limit of 29 viapoints (waypoints) per trip. So we have to work around that.

There is a cool program that you can download called WinGDB3 at http://www.sackman.info/ just choose the language and go for it. And it’s free...

Specifically for Zumo guys with problems they should set it up as below and point the track file for input. I just made a directory to keep my tracks in and locate it from there.

The result will be put on your clipboard. You just paste it onto the index of the left side of BaseCamp. Easy. Then transfer the ROUTE to the Zumo and that’s it.

This program removes all of the viapoints from the track leaving only the beginning and the end. Your track will still be 100% as original, except (there has to be a down side) that you will not have the turn by turn instructions. You will need to add a few waypoints at specific corners (in BaseCamp) where you need instructions to turn.

Your TRACK will stay the same, with all the viapoints in it and if your convert it to a route then the route will again have a zillion viapoints, so you do not loose your original trip!

VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure that your route recalculator is turned OFF or the map will warp as soon as you off off track.
Attached Images

Twigas screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 12:24 AM
Twigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #131
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Are you the same guy who posted that on the Garmin forum?

That software tool is a cool find. I must try it.

Don't you find that the GPS recalculates and changes the route when you want to navigate it?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #132
Twigas
n00b

Zumo 350 posting

Quote:
Are you the same guy who posted that on the Garmin forum?

That software tool is a cool find. I must try it.

Don't you find that the GPS recalculates and changes the route when you want to navigate it?
Yes, I posted it also on the garmin forum. There are tons of guys out there who are not dirt bikers who also need this info. It suddenly makes the Zumo 350 a viable dirt bike GPS, and will wipe the tears off the face of the guys who bought them. I know that it did with me

I have not used it on the street, only the dirt and I do not want the route recalculated. I assume that without the viapoints on the trip, the recalc will go haywire, but that is just MHO.

Cheers,
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #133
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigas View Post
Yes, I posted it also on the garmin forum. There are tons of guys out there who are not dirt bikers who also need this info. It suddenly makes the Zumo 350 a viable dirt bike GPS, and will wipe the tears off the face of the guys who bought them. I know that it did with me

I have not used it on the street, only the dirt and I do not want the route recalculated. I assume that without the viapoints on the trip, the recalc will go haywire, but that is just MHO.

Cheers,
Note that I am not arguing and have not tried your techniques, but am I correct in understanding that you are:

1. navigating a route that, since it was made from your track in the dirt(?) has no routable roads under it?
2. although lacking the routable roads, the route holds its correct shape and placement over the map?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #134
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigas View Post
I have a brand new Zumo 350ml that I am using for off road dirt biking. After a ride I save the trackback as a trip. The trip I can see and use on the Zumo no problem at all.

I then transfer it to my PC using Base Camp and delete the trip in the Zumo so that I am sure that my next trip will be recorded separately.

In Base Camp I can see the trips that I have saved (in Base Camp they are called tracks) and I can also convert them into routes.

Now, the problem is when I try to load them back into my Zumo. You have to convert them from a track to a route to transfer them back to a Zumo 350. You can transfer a track to a Zumo 350 but you won’t be able to see it in the Zumo, or at least I can’t. So you have to transfer a ROUTE.

After transferring the route to the Zumo 350 I get an error message on the Zumo saying that the trip (back to trips again) has more than 29 viapoints and the trip has been broken up into 23 separate trips!!! We are talking about only a 80 km trip here.

I have checked and it is confirmed. The Zumo 350 has a max limit of 29 viapoints (waypoints) per trip. So we have to work around that.

There is a cool program that you can download called WinGDB3 at http://www.sackman.info/ just choose the language and go for it. And it’s free...

Specifically for Zumo guys with problems they should set it up as below and point the track file for input. I just made a directory to keep my tracks in and locate it from there.

The result will be put on your clipboard. You just paste it onto the index of the left side of BaseCamp. Easy. Then transfer the ROUTE to the Zumo and that’s it.

This program removes all of the viapoints from the track leaving only the beginning and the end. Your track will still be 100% as original, except (there has to be a down side) that you will not have the turn by turn instructions. You will need to add a few waypoints at specific corners (in BaseCamp) where you need instructions to turn.

Your TRACK will stay the same, with all the viapoints in it and if your convert it to a route then the route will again have a zillion viapoints, so you do not loose your original trip!

VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure that your route recalculator is turned OFF or the map will warp as soon as you off off track.
WinGDB3 has been around quite a while but v4.2 of BaseCamp can filter your Track points to any amount you want. Did you know about Track point filtering?

I wasn't aware that the zumo350LM would accept a multipoint mixed-travel route without recalculating it - which would reroute any off-road (Direct Routing) segments.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #135
Twigas
n00b

Basecamp filter

I tried the BaseCamp filter. By filtering out the viapoints on BC your route ends up changing and you get straight lines between a few viapoints. Try it. Take one of your dirt bike trails that has over 1,000 viapoints and put 29 as the max viapoints. It will recalculate it, but look at the map you end up with...totally different animal.

Cheers,