ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
ferito
Whatever whenever

Oddometer: 20
not to sure how

hey mate,
im a bit thick when it comes to computers, can you tell me where to find the GMapToGPX bookmarklet please

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
I've figured out how to make tracks on my iPhone using MotionX GPS and send them to the computer, and even how to import and display computer-made tracks on the iPhone, but what I haven't found is an iPhone application that will create turn by turn driving/riding directions from an imported GPX route. Does such a beast exist?

For reference purposes here's how to use MotionX GPS (full version, the LTE/free version can't import GPX files) to import a route from Google Maps via a GPX track.

Step 1: Create your route in Google Maps.

Step 2: Use the GMapToGPX bookmarklet to generate a GPX file from this Google Maps route. Note that the route is plotted out using "routepoints," not "waypoints" or "trackpoints," a technical distinction only important because MotionX GPS doesn't support routepoints. Save this GPX file to your computer.

Step 3: Convert the GPX file to… a GPX file. Confused? We need to convert the routepoints to waypoints, and converting the file to the nominally same type using GPS Visualizer does exactly this. Save this resulting, second, GPX file to your computer.

Step 4: Email this second GPX file to the MotionX GPS conversionbot at GPSinfo@motionx.com. The daemon will in turn convert the GPX file into a format parseable by MotionX GPS and will reply with an email. Click the link in the email, finally, and the MotionX GPS application should open then prompt you to import the track.

After the above steps we now have a track in MotionX GPS and can display it on pretty maps, zoom about, etc. Unfortunately, what we can't do is generate turn by turn directions from this track, which is exactly what we wish to do. So close yet so far…
ferito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Just FYI I wrote a tutorial on getting turn by turn directions on the iPhone with Navigon. You can find it here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874100

I'm working on Motion X next, but one of the big time savers I found is that you don't need the whole email thing, just save any .gpx file to drop box and you can open it directly in Motion X.
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
TX1911fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I need a little extra info here. How do I open a gpx file from dropbox directly in motions? Thanks.
TX1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote