ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 163 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Nice writeup! You can also load tracks into Motion X GPS app but if I remember right it's more of a follow the track and not turn by turn directions.

That wood stove charger is badass!! I might need that.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
jsameth
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Help with Importing Route to Navigon for iPhone

Good job! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I've followed your steps, but have encountered a glitch at the last step:

The file is recognized as a Navigon file, but I get the following message from the Navigon app on my phone: "The selected destination is not covered by the maps which are activated for this device. You can purchase the missing navigation maps now if you wish."

This is definitely not the case: as test, I did a route around the block where I live. I'm guessing there's something a little off in the file syntax. I wonder if I could trouble you to send me a copy of a sample file that worked for you? This should allow me to figure out what the problem is. Looks like files can be uploaded to this forum, but if you prefer, you can e-mail it to me at: jim@sameth.com.

Again, great job on figuring this out, and thanks much for any further help you can provide. Best, Jim
jsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
bdolnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Sure here you go. The site only allows images and .gpx files to be uploaded so I renamed it to Route-DisneyFortWild.gpx -- you'll need to download it and then rename it to Route-DisneyFortWild.target and then you can test it. I have purchased the U.S. East map set and I have just Florida loaded in my version of Navigon.

Good luck, hope you get it working.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Route-DisneyFortWild.gpx (2.5 KB, 91 views)
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Camcow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Not quite there with Navigon

So I gave this a shot last weekend on my iPhone5, using Navigon, ITNConverter, and Dropbox. I was heading up to North Conway, NH with some friends, running backroads routes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Normally I have my big Garmin 2720 with the days routes loaded up, the audio wired to an amplirider and fed into my Sena headset. Since I'm now toting around a perfectly good GPS with a much nicer display, I have visions of using that as my navigator instead and getting rid of the 2 lb boat anchor.

Everything worked great getting the .target file into the phone and opening it in Navigon. It was the routing on the fly that I had issues with.

- There seems to be a 25-point limit on the number of waypoints

- Each waypoint ended up being its own destination, not a via. I tried going back to the route editor, but there doesn't seem to be any way to modify this either in Navigon or ITNConverter

- As such, the route only shows to each waypoint as you are navigating. Once you reach the 'destination', the route to the next one appears

- If you don't hit that waypoint exactly, Navigon will keep telling you to turn around. Very annoying. (My Garmin will do the same, but once it sees you're on the route to the next waypoint, it automatically continues the route.) Don't put a waypoint where you need to turn, or you won't know which direction to turn towards

- You can navigate to a menu and tell it to skip to the next destination, but it takes a press, a swipe, a press, then another press on the iPhone. Not easy to do on the move.

I used some drops called 'AnyGlove' ($20 from Amazon) to try and turn my riding gloves into touchscreen gloves. They worked OK the first day, but by the third day the stuff was flaking off. You need to have about 1/4" diameter spot of the stuff for it to have enough capacitance to work with the screen.

Thumbs up on the mount I bought (also from Amazon) from Ultimate Addons. Pretty rugged and seems to cradle the phone nicely for vibration damping and waterproofness.

Overall, I will use the iPhone as my around town GPS for sure. But any trip I'm on, I'll be taking the 2720 along for now. I will be sending Navigon a note to see if they'll correct the shortcomings in their routing in a future software release.
Camcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
bdolnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcow View Post
So I gave this a shot last weekend on my iPhone5, using Navigon, ITNConverter, and Dropbox.
Thanks for giving us your experiences with it Camcow, the 'route at the intersection' thing I ran into right away also, and is a major pain but can be worked around with good planning.

I also had the missed waypoint problem, and you are right that is annoying. Have to stop and delete the waypoints so it will start on the next one.

I did not know there was a 25 waypoint limit, I have not run into that yet. I guess on really long trips then you'd have to plan around that with multiple sections.

As far as each waypoint being the destination, I found that to be a little distracting at first also, but got used to it. The one good thing is that it still adds the whole route up and gives you distance, and eta. At first I thought it was only going to give that info for the next waypoint, but it doesn't... it shows the whole route.

Thanks again... hopefully we can hear from others who have used it. My next project is working on the Motion X thing since I'm riding a lot of trails lately.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
DammitDan
n00b

Oddometer: 8
So are you saying that the app doesn't automatically advance to the next waypoint? I use a Sena headset for turn-by-turn and leave my iPhone in my pocket... I don't want to spend the money on the navigon app if it means I'll also have to mount it somewhere to easily access it.
DammitDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #22
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitDan View Post
So are you saying that the app doesn't automatically advance to the next waypoint? I use a Sena headset for turn-by-turn and leave my iPhone in my pocket... I don't want to spend the money on the navigon app if it means I'll also have to mount it somewhere to easily access it.
If you put your waypoint after the intersection (in the new direction of travel) as you approach the intersection, you will get the turn info.

If you place the point on top of the intersection, it will route there and not give you the information until after you arrive, so you may have to go past it before getting the next turn direction.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
DammitDan
n00b

Got it! Looks like I'll be shelling out the cash for Navigon :)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,656
EUREKA!

Well done. Desktop route planning with turn by turn navigation via your smartphone. It has honestly been my personal holy grail to find this. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Apparently route import is not possible with Android phones.....mother...f...
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
bdolnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
EDIT: Apparently route import is not possible with Android phones.....mother...f...
Well that doesn't seem right. What happens when you click on the .target file? Maybe on Android it has to be associated with the Navigon App somehow?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,656
I'm going by a response a Danish guy recently got on Facebook from Navigon support.

Could be different in the U.S. but $50 is a lot of dough to shell out just to find out if it works or not.

Anyone out there that can verify this works on Android?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #27
bdolnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Anyone out there that can verify this works on Android?
I wish I could help but only have the iPhone version. I do think that if you asked them if the iPhone version supports importing a route the official answer would be know. The way we are doing it is kind of a work around I think, I never saw any mention of it on their site.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Ran into that 25 waypoint limit. Slight bummer but can easily be worked around just by creating a second route. By the time you ride 25 waypoints you might want to take a break anyway.

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
DammitDan
n00b

Thumb Working Macintosh Instructions!

So, after several hours of frustration, I finally got the import route function working on a Macbook Pro (OS 10.7.5) and an iPhone 4s. I was having problems with getting a "The selected destination not covered by the maps which are activated for this device" message, but I managed to find a workaround. Here's my process:

Necessary Software:
Download RouteConverter 2.10 for Mac 64-bit (No install necessary... it's a Java app and it's FREE!)
http://www.routeconverter.de/releases/en

Download and install Dropbox on both your Mac and your iPhone and sign up for a free Dropbox account (You can either give the OP your referral, or if you find this post super useful then you are more than welcome to use my email as a referral dhumberd@gmail.com)
www.dropbox.com

Step 1 - Design:
You can design your maps directly in RouteConverter, but I find it easier to design in Google Maps in my browser, save them under Maps in My Places and export the route as a .kml file. There are how-to's on google if you want to do it this way. If you design the map in the browser on Google, you will need to open the downloaded .kml in RouteConverter.

Step 2 - Confirm:
Confirm that all of your points are accurate in RouteConverter, and they all have an associated Lat/Long designation under the "Convert" tab (sometimes a waypoint or two will have blank Lat/Long designations). To avoid the "missed turn" issue discussed earlier in this post, I simply place routing points 500-1000 feet AFTER the turn onto the next road in the path.

Step 3 - Export:
Once you have confirmed that your route is accurate, in the menu bar go to Positionlist > Export to a File...
Name your route and export in file format "Navigon Mobile Navigator URL (*.txt)" and choose a destination folder. I export my files directly into my created "Navigon Routes" dropbox folder. If you choose a different destination, simply drag the file from wherever you exported it and into the Dropbox folder of your choosing.

Step 4 - Import:
Open up your dropbox app on your iPhone and navigate to the dropbox folder where you uploaded the route. Tap on the route file and it will pull up a new screen with a very long URL link. Tap that link, Navigon should open and voila! Your route is now loaded into your iPhone Navigon app. Make sure you save it in the Navigon app by hitting the calculator-looking button in the top-left of the screen, then the + in the bottom right corner and "Save Route".

Double-check that your route actually takes you where you want to go... The original route file may take some tweaking to make Navigon follow the exact roads that you want.

I'm going to go for my first turn-by-turn directed ride tomorrow! I have attached the test file I created if any of you are having problems and need a file to work with (the route is in Tennessee, and I had to change the extension from .txt to .gpx to upload it to the forum... once you have downloaded it just delete the .gpx part of the extension). Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Ashland City 12-49-149 Run.txt.gpx (458 Bytes, 66 views)
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Nooooooo!

Bought Navigon and got the whole process working and NOW find out that I can't hear a word that lady is saying. I gotta do something with my ONeal BT helmet speakers!

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote