Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #646
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Just got back from 4 days in the mountains with the Nomad. Nearly dropped it a coupleof times. The house we rented was on a dirt road, about 1/2 a mile in. I had to turn the Nomad around a couple of times. I pulled my left bicep catching the bike both times. It's better now but that thing is heavy heavy heavy and it HURT !!!

I still rode though, and took the wife riding. the arm only hurt when I was trying to get the helmet/jacket/gloves on. Mrs. B had to help me with that. We got on a very tight 1st/2nd gear road, and the Nomad showed her girth there too.

The Nomad was great on the open road. Very comfy and good power. It's just not meant to be manhandled.

The wife said "you need a lighter bike". Maybe a CTX? I can't wait to see it. Maybe a DL650? Or a NC700X? I like the lower seat height on the CTX. Maybe a smaller cruiser like a Vulcan 900 LT or a V-Star 950?

Anyway, I am thinking about it more seriously now.
I saw the Vulcan 900 custom in black and green at the shop the other day. I don't even like undressed cruisers, but I wanted that bike. If Honda made a loaded (abs, cruise, stereo, full faired) CTX and priced it as reasonably as the other CTX bikes, I would own one of those instead of my Victory.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #647
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,869
It hit the local showroom today. I rode over to sit on it and take a look.I really was hoping this would be "the bike" for me. Unfortunately, I found it disappointing.

The bike was light, too light for my tastes. Also, the "tank" seemed to be made of a very thin plastic. Over all, the bike had a cheap look and feel to me.

I will be interested to read what others think.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #648
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 626
well, light, to me, is great, as i spend most of my time in hilly urban/suburban areas with medium to heavy traffic. however, agreed on the cheap look of the tank. seat is SUPER comfy. i wound up passing on my preorder just because it felt TOO commuter-focused, and since i have a scooter for commuting (with far more carrying capacity), i went with the '13 SFV 650 instead -- and no regrets.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #649
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,663
another review...

http://rideapart.com/2013/05/rideapa...-honda-ctx700/

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #650
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Reposted from 12 comments back.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #651
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

saw this at the local Honda dealership today

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #652
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
saw this at the local Honda dealership today

Cool. You notice the new CB1100 sitting next to the CTX? It's becoming a popular yet hard to find model, too...
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #653
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Cool. You notice the new CB1100 sitting next to the CTX? It's becoming a popular yet hard to find model, too...
yeah, good eye - they also had a red CTX in the same state of disassembly. The black one is a dct model. red one is not. I didn't get to ask any questions. Well I guess I could have, I just didn't want to banter with the sales dude.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #654
DewaltDakota
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Well, while I originally wanted the CTX700N in black, my dealer only got one in red, and that was because he "stole it" from their other location. Everything has been signed, and I pick it up on Tuesday. It kills me they're closed on Sundays and Mondays, when I could be out riding!

2014 Honda CTX700N
2014 Honda Grom (MSX125)
DewaltDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #655
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Went to a dealer yesterday to look at the CTX in Black, and as I thought, the forward foot controls caused immediate aching in my lower back, something that makes riding no fun for me. It was a nice looking bike and the handle bar position was very comfortable, but those pegs, ugh...a deal breaker.

Came home with a new left over '12 KLR650 in matte grey, and it fits me perfectly, and is a slug too, but that I expected, having owned one before.

If you like forwards and a relaxed seating position the new CTX may be the one for you. tp
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #656
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Yep, I'm just the opposite...being an older guy, I had to get rid of the r1100r because it scrunched up underneath me to the point that they would cramp up within 10 miles...loved the bike, but couldn't really take the torture, even with footpeg lowering blocks.

Went to the Honda dealer today. He had two CTXs, one red, one black...the unfaired version (has a faired version still being put together from the crate). I found the seating position and leg position very comfortable. I'm not fond of the amount of plastic on the bike, since that means additional cost for servicing or having to take all that off to get to service points, but then, I ride a Honda Silverwing, so I guess I really can't complain a lot. The price is very reasonable...way less than a replacement SWing or a Suzuki Burgman...might have to give one of these some serious consideration...
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #657
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Went to the dealer today to pick up my tag and asked the finance guy is they had had any interest in the CTX, and he said that they hadn't. Said that Honda is releasing so many different style bikes that they are unsure what, if any of them will sell. On the other hand, they had sold four new R1200GS's water cooled models. Guess some folks know just what they want and get it... I'm happy with the KLR, too....tomp dd50
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #658
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Bought a black N for my daughter yesterday. I but about 120 miles on it today. For four inch suspension, it rode a lot smoother on the rough roads up here in Mn and Wi then I thought it should. . I love the dual clutch. I just need to turn the forward pegs in a little, like I did on my v-rods and my brake out.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #659
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Bought a black N for my daughter yesterday. I put about 120 miles on it today. For four inch suspension, it rode a lot smoother on the rough roads up here in Mn and Wi then I thought it should. . I love the dual clutch. I just need to turn the forward pegs in a little, like I did on my v-rods and my brake out.
Your daughter's but you put 120 miles on it; when will she get to ride it? Glad to hear a positive review. Are the pegs adjustable? Didn't notice that when I looked at one last weekend... tp dd50
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #660
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
She can ride when I go back to Wisconsin. She well be less nerves when I leave. I just need to drill and tap a hole for a set screw. Does not put pressure on the knees when the pegs are turned in.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote