ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Gert OP
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 383
Plat Coordinates - GPS Coordinates?

This may be (probably is) a very stupid question, but I know nothing about map coordinate systems etc.:

Can you / how do you use a GPS to locate a corner of a lot?

I have a plat (with multiple lots on it) that has each lots corners numbered, and a table that specifies coordinates in the form:

S 19 43 05 E 181.86

and if so - how do you enter them into the GPS (that expects a different format) ??

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Tramontana

Oddometer: 2,041
I'm no GPS expert...

Are you certain they are giving you corner coordinates, or possibly (and more typical of a survey) they are giving you lengths for property lines, and the angle of bearing for each?

There should be a "known" point of origin, likely a staked corner that has been surveyed and located on the ground.
Then you measure a length, along the bearing they give, and sort of connect the dots, following one dimension after the last.

From the data you provide (S 19 43 05 E 181.86) it would seem to indicate that you have a property line that is 181.86 feet long, and is measured from a point, that is south 19 degrees, 43 minutes and 05 seconds from east.

Does this make sense?

Memberships: AMA 222838, COHVCO #4409, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Rollins Pass Restoration Association, Tread Lightly!

KD0DHK - Amateur Radio FCC Technician Class

Tread Lightly! Master Tread Trainer.
Tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Dakar Dude
DesertDwellingAdventurer

Oddometer: 1
Lot Corners

The data provided on a typical plat map or survey would not USUALLY include coordinates. To obtain this, you would need the surveyors point data. And, the unfortunate reality is that even if you had the point data, the accuracy of GPS units available to the mass market are not as accurate as survey equipment. I am intimately familiar with the survey profession, and they are looking at accuracy to within thousandths of an inch...not a few meters or feet.

Your best bet to locate the corner, is to find a known survey monument in the plat and take a rag tape and start walking...although it sure sounds better to just whip out the Garmin don't it?

Sorry...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert
S 19 43 05 E 181.86
What you have is "bearing" and "distance". These are not directly related to anything you could measure on your consumer oriented GPS.

Lots of surveyors today are using ultraprecise GPS reception to be able to pinpoint positions on the earth's surface. They use GPS methods and precision not available in normal consumer oriented GPS units. They generate GPS coordinates for the points in their surveys. But not everyone uses this method.

In basic terms, in the "old" days, you started off at a known point, like a point in the centerline of a road marked by a railroad spike someone had driven there, or even better, a US Geological Survey benchmark that had been found in close proximity, and then used another known point as a reference, and measured the angular difference of a straight line drawn to the next point, and the distance, until you got to the starting point of the property you were measuring. Then from there, you turned the angles and measured distances to each point in the survey. Then you used the reference data of that first line and could say your lines were a bearing of North ___ East, or South ____ West, or whatever based on that, and provide a distance to the next point.

For the next person coming along, if you found two points of the original survey, you could recreate the whole survey.

So - based on what you have, there is really no way to recreate your survey without some complex grid mathematics.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
AutoCAD files can be exported to a track file using software from MN. I have it somewhere, and have used it to locate the boundaries fo large rural properties. Works well, but requires some computer skill.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
Tramontana

Oddometer: 2,041
Please tell me more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
AutoCAD files can be exported to a track file using software from MN. I have it somewhere, and have used it to locate the boundaries fo large rural properties. Works well, but requires some computer skill.
I'm a daily cad user (aka Cad Monkey) and would be interested in learning more about this conversion software.

Thanks,

Memberships: AMA 222838, COHVCO #4409, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Rollins Pass Restoration Association, Tread Lightly!

KD0DHK - Amateur Radio FCC Technician Class

Tread Lightly! Master Tread Trainer.
Tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
DirtRiderwjc2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
As metioned earlier your plat map has no useful info on it for your GPS. I have used USGS quad map and a handheld GPS to help locate a section corner (not property corner) the GPS gets me within 20 feet or so.

btw, I am a registered land surveyor.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
If you are willing to put the time and effort into learning what the information on your plat means, where it comes from and a bit about mapping planes you can use your GPS and plat to find approximate property corner locations. We did it all the time with a pair of cheap Magellan receivers before we got into into using RTK/GPS a few years back. I set the receivers up to work in Maryland and Virginia coordinate systems by making custom mapping zones in the receivers. I would compute approximate coordinates and my survey crews would use them to navigate through the woods on large tracts or to find survey control markers in the middle of nowhere.

But you can just as easily use UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates because almost all receivers will read in those. And you definitely want to be working in some kind of mapping plane using x,y coordinates rather than geographic coordinates (lat and long) and having to use spherical geometry. Trust me on this, trigonometry is a way simpler thing to deal with than having to use the radius of the earth as one of your variables. And UTM is universal so it works everywhere. But first you need a primer on what your plat data means.

S 19^43'05" E - 181.86' means that property line runs in a southeast direction on an angle measured 19 degrees 43 minutes 5 seconds east from due south for a distance of 181.86 feet. That is a "compass" bearing and is the way surveyors show angular direction on survey plats. The surveyor's compass of antiguity had four quadrants of 90 degrees each. Northeast is measured clockwise (east) from north, southeast is measured counterclockwise (east) from south, southwest is measured clockwise (west) from south and northwest bearings are measured counterclockwise (west) from north. So a bearing of N45^E is actually the same angle on the face of the plat as S45^W but running the opposite direction.

If you look at your plat hopefully all that will make some sense. Just reading it probably does not. Now you need to understand that those compass bearings were once upon a time based on an actual compass measurement. My (admittedly limited) experience in Georgia is that they are now mostly just a way to relate the survey to some deed and plat from antiquity. But they are still usually somewhat close to a magnetic north based direction. Close enough for this type of thing at least.

You can get the angular correction to UTM by computation from a number of different sources or you can just look at a USGS topo map of your area. As most of you know those are basically free from a bunch of places on the Internet. Apply that correction from magnetic north to UTM grid north to all of the anglular measurements (compass bearings) on your plat. Make sure you add or subtract in the right direction. It is confusing with compass bearings measured from different points on a compass. So sketch it all out. And it is a large correction so you cannot skip this step. Free software from National Geodetic Survey or a program called Corpscon will do it if you can figure out how to use them.

Then you need to know what UTM zone you are in in order to setup yur receiver. Here is how Georgia is divided up for GIS purposes (UTM zones are actually divided by longitude):

http://www.gis.state.ga.us/Clearingh...p/utm_map.html

Now you need to measure the UTM coordinates of one of your property corners. So set your receiver on it and record a UTM x,y coordinate. Let's assume it is at the north end of the line you mentioned. Now you need to compute the coordinate of the property corner at the other end of the property line in order to navigate to it. On a copy of the plat write the UTM x,y values you got at your starting point. Then draw a line due south from that starting point and a line west from the ending point so it intersects and forms a right triangle. Note that your property line now forms the hypotenuse of the right triangle.

So you have an angle and a hypotenuse which is all that is needed to solve the triangle and compute the length of the x distance from the start to finish and the y distance from start to finish. First convert 19^43'05" to decimal degrees online or with a calculator (19.7181^). The x distance is simple trigonometry using that angle and the length of the property line. In this case (Sin19.7181*181.86) for an x distance of 61.36 feet. Since you are going southEAST the x coordinates are increasing and you add that to the x value at the start. The y distance is (Cos19.7181*191.86) for a y distance of 171.20. Since you are going SOUTHeast the y coordinate is decreasing and you subtract that from the starting y coordinate. Now you have coordinates for that point.

Next do that for the property line running from the point you just computed and keep going along each leg of the plat. You should end up within a few hundreths of a foot of the original starting coordinate. If you don't then your surveyor goofed your survey (it wasn't me - I'm not licensed in GA) or you screwed up the calculations (probably because you didn't have a clue what my explanation about bearings actually means).

Now you can plug those coordinates into your receiver as waypoints and take off through the woods. Remember that recreational receivers have an uncetrtainty of 6' to 15' and your computations have a big uncertainty based on not knowing the true correction from plat north to UTM grid north. But if you did everything right you should be in the ball park.

Obviously this is pretty pointless on small properties because the GPS errors are too large to get you right to the property corner. Which is what the others are saying. But my point is that it is possible to do from the information on about any survey plat provided you can find a starting corner, you have some idea what the bearings are based on and you can do the calculations.

My field crews did this all the time to get close enough to know where to start looking for corners when they had to navigate through long sections of woods. Fortunately they also have field computers to automatically adjust the CADD coordnates generated in the office. Even better is that now they are using centimeter accuracy GPS equipment that can localize on any coordinate system.

Are you sorry you asked?

Caveat: I am also a land surveyor registered in several states and DC - but not GA. I just do some engineering work for the USFS there that usually requires GPS surveying. I love the TSA guys at the Atlanta airport making me remove wet muddy boots for inspection while my GPS backbacks and data collectors went aboard as carryon luggage without a second look. Maybe they are used to seeing 30 pound packs crammed full of batteries, antennas and electronic gizmos being worn onto airplanes by guys in clean boots.
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
bernardnaval
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New Plat Coordinates. Please help! Thanks a lot...

Below are the said parcels of land technical description in which I want to find the exact location of each lot. Can someone share to me a site or a free program wherein if I enter below coordinates, is it can immediately show to me the exact location. And please teach to me how to enter each coordinates. Looking forward on your help please. Thanks a lot...

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
(PARCEL I)
T.P. Cor. 1 is N. 54 41 03.4 W., 577.70 meters
From BTN 3011, PRS 92 Control Point
CORNER BEARING DISTANCE
1 S. 86 43 32 W. 86.75 m.
2 N. 35 55 16 W. 277.84 m.
bernardnaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Gert, perhaps I'm a bit late on this, but.. You live in Dawson County? They have a good GIS department and I'm fairly certain all parcel data is in GIS. Contact someone in Planning and Development who should be able to get you good map coordinates (State Plane or Geographic) for your parcel corners. Of course, once you have the coordinates, you will still need decent survey-grade units to get on the mark assuming you need that level of accuracy..
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
This may be (probably is) a very stupid question, but I know nothing about map coordinate systems etc.:

Can you / how do you use a GPS to locate a corner of a lot?

I have a plat (with multiple lots on it) that has each lots corners numbered, and a table that specifies coordinates in the form:

S 19 43 05 E 181.86

and if so - how do you enter them into the GPS (that expects a different format) ??
If your plat says "rod found" or rod(f) or pipe(f), or something like that at the property corner, go dig up your corners. If it's a recent survey there may be a pin flag or stake set as a witness to the property corner. If it's an old plat the bearing info is pretty useless unless referenced to a specific datum such as NAD 83. And even if it does reference a datum, the calculation of the appropriate declination for that coordinate base and then the calculation for current magnetic declination is daunting.

Every year magnetic north moves. So a plat done in 1950 with a true magnetic bearing base will have its magnetic north many degrees different to what it is today. Meaning you can not just find a corner and use a compass derived bearing to sight or walk your property line.

Are these acreage parcels or lots from a subdivision?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
JRinWV
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ya'll Probably Moved on, but

I wrote a program to convert survey calls into a map overlay and a GPS input file. I did it primarily for trying to make sense of real estate listings, but I think it should be good for recreational land by sticking the output in a GPS.

http://platplotter.appspot.com/

http://platplotter.appspot.com/lib/pp_about.html
JRinWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinWV View Post
I wrote a program to convert survey calls into a map overlay and a GPS input file. I did it primarily for trying to make sense of real estate listings, but I think it should be good for recreational land by sticking the output in a GPS.

http://platplotter.appspot.com/

http://platplotter.appspot.com/lib/pp_about.html
Be careful with that. Your calls are likely to get you tens of feet if not hundreds of fee out of position.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Why did I have to find this thread?
Grreatdog summed it up as well as any surveyor could hope to.

A lot of plats have a 'Basis of Bearing' statement. This will show the surveyors measured bearing and distance at the time of the survey on two monuments(lot corners, section corners(not in GA) or whatever they decide to use. This is helpful because you can measure between these same two points and immediately know your angular difference.

Keep in mind that the legend will show what type of monument(rebar with aluminum cap, LS37903 OR 1 inch Iron Pipe OR 3 1/14 Inch BLM brass cap stamped.....). If the monument you are standing at looks different it probably is the wrong corner and/or monument.

The local GIS programs that a lot of counties currently use is good for a starting point, but there can be lots of error in these. One street I know of in Durango shows the lot lines going through the houses consistently for the entire block. That wasn't a surveyor error. GIS=Get It Surveyed.

I'm not a wiz with the hand held gps units, but understand it better than most.

Feel free to PM me with any survey related questions as I probably won't check back here. I'm a map guy.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Be careful with that. Your calls are likely to get you tens of feet if not hundreds of fee out of position.
+1000 on this!

Great explanation by Grreatdog!

As the other Land Surveyor's (I'm one as well) commented and detailed above, there is a big difference between a layman's handheld GPS and the GPS equipment we use which provide survey grade accuracy.
I understand the typical land owner / realtor / speculator just wants "to get close" but I've seen scenarios like this end up in litigation because a Professional Surveyor was not consulted until after problems were created by DIY GPS users.
It's not only knowing how to use the equipment but more importantly, having the experience to perform diligent, thorough research, then knowing how to interpret and use survey / deed / title records.

Consult your local surveyor, even if it's just a quick phone call (which shouldn't cost anything) can very valuable in the long run.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote