User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #31
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Thanks for the good vibes, man.

I'm comin' along, too slow for my taste of course but not unreasonably.

By the last day in the hospital, the fasciotomy incisions were filling in nicely, compared to the first day of unwrapping.

(Way more shallow than they were on Day 1)

They stitched me up and kept me in the hospital for one more day, then sent me home--and wow was I glad for that!

The stitched foot, on a 1-week followup visit (that's my knee scooter in the background)

I should get the stitches out at last (those incisions were pretty deep) on Monday the 3rd, over a month post wreck.

My other project has been weaning myself off of oral morphine...yow. I've made it through 2 nights without, had a definite increase in pain but I have other gentler meds to help with that. Pretty important to me not to get hooked and add to my difficulties; I was struck by a left turner years ago and had a bunch of soft-tissue damage to my right shoulder, and ended up getting hooked on Vicodin. Nasty withdrawal, and I had to get acupuncture to help with that process.

Interestingly, when I went in for a checkup earlier this week, the senior podiatry resident suggested that I stop my daily 800-1000mg of ibuprofen, and replace it with Vicodin. I was a little unhappy about that, but he said that there is a certain amount of evidence that ibuprofen (as well as most other NSAID-category drugs) inhibit bone healing. Did some research online and it seemed to back him up, so I made the switch. Too bad, because ibu helps with the swelling a good bit as well as being a quite decent painkiller.

I did dream last night that I was on my 919, complete with my injured foot and steel half-boot, and had a gigantic load of Citybike newspapers to deliver. I was hurting like hell, making sure I stopped and always put my right foot down, and tried to shift with the projecting toe of my half-boot rather than the broken instep. Getting on and off the bike was a mess, of course, and the left boot kept sliding off the peg, so I painted tool dip on the bottom for grip. I kept trying to borrow a car, but all I could find were manual transmissions. Woke up and I had squirmed almost completely out of the half-boot; no wonder it hurt!

Rex Nemo screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 11:26 PM
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
TripleTigerIII
NW Rider

Oddometer: 3
Whoa! Gnarly pics dude!
TripleTigerIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #33
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
plus one on the disapearing calf,and the habitual limping.Its been two years since an ruptured achilles and i made a concerted effort over the last cpouple of weeks to do ten one legged calf raises as high as i could every morning and night.I noticed the other day that i was walking downstairs normally instead of favouring my left leg
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
Thumper Pilot
BMW makes a motorcycle?

Oddometer: 6
This thread has cured me of reading "Face Plant" while eating dinner.
Thumper Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
OMG! I am so sorry this happened to you.

Just reading the story made it hard to walk on my left foot. And my left foot is fine!

-Eff
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #36
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Oddometer: 158
Rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Again, it's really good to hear peoples' recovery stories! Gives me hope. I intend to follow the doc's orders and my physical therapy regime (when not clearly detrimental to me) with a fervor.

I was released from the hospital a couple of days ago, after a second surgery to close up the fasciotomy incisions. It is SO GOOD to be home. In fact, the experience of the wreck, hospitalization and surgeries made the simplest most everyday things so precious and lovely: hanging out with a friend, good food, a night of sound sleep, privacy and my own space, human contact, getting to the bathroom alone, showering...I'll never be able to take that stuff for granted so easily again.

I've got one of those knee scooters that a friend found on craigslist, and it's hilarious but helps me get around the house. The support from my friends and family has been overwhelming, and has made this a far better experience that it would otherwise have been.

I also got a few more of my girlfriend's iphone photos.

Here are my boots after the drop--the left one doesn't have a mark on it, but the foot has multiple breaks and dislocations inside

Here's what the foot looked like when we first wiggled it out of the boot

X-rays (note that the 3rd metatarsal is completely obscured by the broken 1st and second metatarsal which crossed over it)

Compartment syndrome setting in

Healthy foot/busted foot comparison, Day 6 post injury (toenail polish courtesy of my friend Holly)

It's gonna be a long road to healing but I'm glad to be further along it. I am strictly ordered to be off the foot utterly for 8 weeks--the K-wires with the external heads will remain in at least until that point. And even slightly bumping or resting those against anything....gaaaa! makes me obey.
Sorry for the ROFL, That really sucks, and I am pleased to hear you already have plans to ride again! But the nail polish caught me by surprise and I am still laughing as I type this.
Just goes to show you that if you weren't wearing protective boots, your foot would have been amputated most likely hanging off by a thin sliver of skin with shoe on it.

I dodged a bullet big time on my wife's new 2013 Ural on May 20th which I just made a post about. Every year at the start of the serious riding season and prior to going on any long trips I ALWAYS !!!!!! come to the Face Plant pages to ground myself and refresh the serious of the potential looming situations out there from all of the cages bumping into each other. I try to keep my confidence of riding from all of the miles I have ridden in check. Thats when a rider gets into trouble, overconfidence. Get well soon brother.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #37
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Pilot View Post
This thread has cured me of reading "Face Plant" while eating dinner.
I just had lunch, and I think I'm going to skip dessert... If you could bottle this and sell it, you may create a diet revolution!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #38
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

My own boundaries have been pushed out there to the point that I wanted a nice rare steak the last time I looked at those photos...oh dear.

And thanks for the laughs--I'm a gal, though. My GF assures me that my hairy legs and green toenails no doubt made me well known in the hospital orthopedic department, possibly among the entire 7th floor nursing staff as well. Ah, well! At least I was wearing clean underwear.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #39
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Finally got the fasciotomy incision stitches out yesterday! As always, they try to tell you that removing stitches isn't painful--which was, as it so often is, bullshit. Fortunately I had a rolled-up sweatshirt to bite while they pulled out all 30.

Feels like angry leprechauns stabbing your foot with cocktail swords. As always, my skin and tissue grow over stitches really quickly, which adds to the unpleasantness, though I am glad I heal well.

The foot looks really deflated, and the skin is sloughing off. But at least it doesn't need to be kept wrapped anymore, just a sock and a little gauze to keep the weeping from the k-wires from sticking. I can scrub off the dead skin, which will be a relief.

Pulled stitches, looking like dead bugs

Not-so-great news is that the bone has shifted, and the surgeon wants to do another surgery at some point in the next couple of months to insert some permanent screws in between the cuboid and first metatarsal bones. So another round of general anesthesia, another incision, more bone healing, time in the hospital, etc. etc. Damn. That is no fun. He assures me that I'll be able to hike the Pacific Crest Trail once the healing is done, though.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,408
Wow is about all I can say. Ankle/foot injuries worry me more than some of the other breaks I have seen people get. Amazing that a seemingly "small" crash did so much damage.

It almost seems that there is no boot that can save your ankle/foot if things get twisted or smashed just the right way.

I wear the Sidi Adventure rain boots and am well aware that the leather is too soft and flexible around the ankles. I plan to get the newer model which at least has some hard parts around the ankles.

Wrists are my other concern. I quit wearing my Fox soft moto gloves and have gone to a pair of Olympia all leather gloves with gauntlets and several padded areas around the wrist.

Good luck with a full recovery!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #41
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Wow....that is disgusting!
Glad your okay and hopefully ride soon.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #42
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
small pleasures

So angry leprechauns aren't first choice as party pals? Nasty little gatekeepers at the half-way point to getting the K-wires out. I imagine those next guys will be a bit meaner but at least the stitch/incision annoyance slips away. No weight bearing is one of the worst conditions. Those wires protruding down and behind the toes are the real deal killer. No way to just rest the bottom of your foot on mother earth and maintain that sole connection. Hopefully those bones are knitting well and this pending screw insertion will tidy things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #43
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

The stitches are out, and the foot is continuing to heal. It went through a weird phase in which ALL the skin dried, got scaly, and peeled off. Yuck!

Fortunately with a good bit of gentle exfoliation that stage passed. I did get a
knee crutch in addition to the scooter, and after the steep and wobbly learning curve, it's great. I can't drive or ride yet, but I can get out of the house, do my own damn laundry, cooking and garbage-taking-out, and even have a little fun...

Best of all, they let me pull my own pins out of my foot. What a freaky experience--feeling pressure from inside your body and the tugging of the K-wires as each resisted, pulled free from the bone, then slid out of the skin, followed by a small gush of blood...whoa.

The doc tossed the first one into the sharps container, but I insisted on keeping the rest of the K-wires as souvenirs.

These were touching my bone marrow!

The doc pulled the first one, then we talked him into letting me pull two:

And my girlfriend pulled the last two--the longest ones. The last one, unlike the others, was intensely painful!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #44
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
deluxe martini spears

Yea, you go girl. Been wondering about you. You make me appreciate my feet even more. Hope the weight bearing, walking part starts soon. That rig's gonna need an alignment.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #45
Apaluq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
On that note what are some really good armored boots?
Apaluq is offline   Reply With Quote