Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #6526
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
And your answer was...?
Ha. I just smiled and shook my head NO.

I was in full control, he got me. No point in making excuses. Usually hit triple digits on that stretch. Gotta tame the connection between my brain and my right wrist a bit.

SlowRoll screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 09:33 AM
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #6527
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I was waiting at a light when I heard a Harley ride up 2 lanes to my right and almost even with me. After a few seconds he honked so I looked at him. He fulfilled my stereotype for a "typical Harley rider": Leather face, beanie helmet full of slogan stickers, leather vest, bare arms. He was on a Sportster with a slightly louder than stock and pleasant sounding exhaust.
He must have looked at my Kawasaki Versys with crash bars, skid plate, and "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank, because with a big grin he yelled at me "that's cool, that's very cool", then nodded and rode off as the light had turned green.

...I'm sure there is a "stupid question" in there somewhere, still working on that.
It was the first time that I got any reaction from a Harley rider about that decal.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #6528
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
I was waiting at a light when I heard a Harley ride up 2 lanes to my right and almost even with me. After a few seconds he honked so I looked at him. He fulfilled my stereotype for a "typical Harley rider": Leather face, beanie helmet full of slogan stickers, leather vest, bare arms. He was on a Sportster with a slightly louder than stock and pleasant sounding exhaust.
He must have looked at my Kawasaki Versys with crash bars, skid plate, and "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank, because with a big grin he yelled at me "that's cool, that's very cool", then nodded and rode off as the light had turned green.

...I'm sure there is a "stupid question" in there somewhere, still working on that.
It was the first time that I got any reaction from a Harley rider about that decal.
What was his tone of voice? I could read that as sarcastic, as an insult, or as humor.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #6529
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
What was his tone of voice? I could read that as sarcastic, as an insult, or as humor.
His tone of voice was loud, to reach across 2 lanes. :)

He seemed like a good-natured guy to me and his grin seemed genuine.
There were no signs of sarcasm in his face or manners that I could discern.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #6530
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
About 10 or so years ago, I pulled up at a light on my old XS650, alongside a loud Harley. The rider lookd across and yelled something that sounded very much like "Why don't you get yourself a REAL f***ing bike?" Thinking I must have mis-heard him, I tried to ask what he said but he looked away and started revving the engine like mad to drown out any possibiltiy of reply - Real classy jerk! Just as the light changed, there was a loud clatter and his air cleaner fell off. Nearly pissed myself laughing as I rode away.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #6531
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post

Whenever I'm out on my Harley and I see an adventure/ Dual sport style bike, I always yell(if it's noisy, I have the stock exhaust and never rev) "Ride the world!" Half the time they look at me like I'm crazy, half the time they smile and give a thumbs up, and the other half they flip me the bird and laugh like a maniac.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #6532
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
Whenever I'm out on my Harley and I see an adventure/ Dual sport style bike, I always yell(if it's noisy, I have the stock exhaust and never rev) "Ride the world!" Half the time they look at me like I'm crazy, half the time they smile and give a thumbs up, and the other half they flip me the bird and laugh like a maniac.
What do they do the other half?

Once when on my KTM 950 SM I had a helmetless guy on a fairly tricked out (chopper type) HD give me a thumbs up and yell "cool bike!" while in traffic. Seemed genuine.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #6533
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 378
Yesterday I pulled into a restaurant, parked and started taking off gear. I noticed a younger guy (mid-early twenties) was watching from the front seating area. After putting my helmet in the side cases, he proceeds to walk up and ask me "what kind of bike that was?"
I replied nicely, "It's a FJR."
Then I got this back, "Oh, I wasn't that impressed."
My tone changed a little (but not much) when I said, "Well I guess it's a good thing you don't own it then."

After a few more short sentences, this man proceeded to tell me that he was impressed that my helmet fit in a side case but his wife wants to buy herself a Harley so she probably won't have them.

He was a couple fries short but I think he was trying to be nice and just didn't get it, lol!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #6534
Haven't Ben There
searcher

Oddometer: 20
A lot of the Harley Riders I know ride or used to ride dirt. Some of them also have duelsports. So they "get it." Many of them ride year round unless it is snowing or ice is on the roads. We laugh at the guys that go into the shop to get their preseason service done They cannot figure out why their new batter went dead when they have not road the bike in three months
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #6535
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven't Ben There View Post
A lot of the Harley Riders I know ride or used to ride dirt. Some of them also have duelsports. So they "get it." Many of them ride year round unless it is snowing or ice is on the roads. We laugh at the guys that go into the shop to get their preseason service done They cannot figure out why their new batter went dead when they have not road the bike in three months
Motorcycles are like tools. No one single tool will do every job in the garage, and neither will one motorcycle.

Harley makes a great, comfortable, mile eating machine. They have a very valid purpose in the world of motorcycles, and while I don't own one at the moment, I'm definitely not opposed to adding one to the arsenal in the future. I've met more than a fair share of HD owners who really knew motorcycles, and had been stacking miles on various two-wheelers for decades. I like these riders.

However, HD's marketing department does a great job of selling a lifestyle, not actually riding. It is unfortunate, because it attracts a lot of mouth-breathers to the brand, so much so that these idiots are starting to define the brand. Sadly, it is also this type of HD owner that tends to make this thread.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #6536
Haven't Ben There
searcher

Oddometer: 20
Riding Donkeys I agree with you and it is unfortunate. But most of the HD riders I know are riders and they do not care for the "pirates" either. Some of them are in the local clubs and they really laugh at some of the "pirates." Most of the ones I have talked to have told me it does not matter what you ride as long as you ride. That is what they are concerned with, you actually ride and do not just talk about it. And I have found out it is hard to keep up with someone on an HD who knows how to ride it.
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #6537
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven't Ben There View Post
Riding Donkeys I agree with you and it is unfortunate. But most of the HD riders I know are riders and they do not care for the "pirates" either. Some of them are in the local clubs and they really laugh at some of the "pirates." Most of the ones I have talked to have told me it does not matter what you ride as long as you ride. That is what they are concerned with, you actually ride and do not just talk about it. And I have found out it is hard to keep up with someone on an HD who knows how to ride it.
Agreed on all counts.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #6538
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 248
I was riding through Rogers, MI today, a small town right on Lake Huron. Passing by an O'Reilly's Auto I remembered I needed oil, so in I go. My outfit consists of a hi-viz jacket, hi-viz hit-air vest, motorcycle pants and my boots. Just across from the window is where I parked my bike. This conversation takes place as I am purchasing 2 litres of motorcycle oil.

Cashier: Wow, you are dressed very bright.
Me: Yeah, I prefer to be seen.
Cashier: Are you going boating?
Me: Um, no riding a motorcycle
Cashier: Oh that red one in front of the window?
Me: Yeah.
Cashier: Nice bike.

Really, now can you confuse motorcycle gear for boating gear - especially when I am purchasing motorcycle oil.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #6539
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I was riding through Rogers, MI today, a small town right on Lake Huron. Passing by an O'Reilly's Auto I remembered I needed oil, so in I go. My outfit consists of a hi-viz jacket, hi-viz hit-air vest, motorcycle pants and my boots. Just across from the window is where I parked my bike. This conversation takes place as I am purchasing 2 litres of motorcycle oil.

Cashier: Wow, you are dressed very bright.
Me: Yeah, I prefer to be seen.
Cashier: Are you going boating?
Me: Um, no riding a motorcycle
Cashier: Oh that red one in front of the window?
Me: Yeah.
Cashier: Nice bike.

Really, now can you confuse motorcycle gear for boating gear - especially when I am purchasing motorcycle oil.

In their defense, Rogers City is a boating / fishing community.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #6540
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
In their defense, Rogers City is a boating / fishing community.
Are you suggesting that boaters and fishermen are not very bright?!!?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote