ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #6526
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
And your answer was...?
Ha. I just smiled and shook my head NO.

I was in full control, he got me. No point in making excuses. Usually hit triple digits on that stretch. Gotta tame the connection between my brain and my right wrist a bit.

SlowRoll screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 09:33 AM
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #6527
pretbek
Studly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 864
I was waiting at a light when I heard a Harley ride up 2 lanes to my right and almost even with me. After a few seconds he honked so I looked at him. He fulfilled my stereotype for a "typical Harley rider": Leather face, beanie helmet full of slogan stickers, leather vest, bare arms. He was on a Sportster with a slightly louder than stock and pleasant sounding exhaust.
He must have looked at my Kawasaki Versys with crash bars, skid plate, and "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank, because with a big grin he yelled at me "that's cool, that's very cool", then nodded and rode off as the light had turned green.

...I'm sure there is a "stupid question" in there somewhere, still working on that.
It was the first time that I got any reaction from a Harley rider about that decal.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #6528
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
I was waiting at a light when I heard a Harley ride up 2 lanes to my right and almost even with me. After a few seconds he honked so I looked at him. He fulfilled my stereotype for a "typical Harley rider": Leather face, beanie helmet full of slogan stickers, leather vest, bare arms. He was on a Sportster with a slightly louder than stock and pleasant sounding exhaust.
He must have looked at my Kawasaki Versys with crash bars, skid plate, and "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank, because with a big grin he yelled at me "that's cool, that's very cool", then nodded and rode off as the light had turned green.

...I'm sure there is a "stupid question" in there somewhere, still working on that.
It was the first time that I got any reaction from a Harley rider about that decal.
What was his tone of voice? I could read that as sarcastic, as an insult, or as humor.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #6529
pretbek
Studly Adventurer
 
pretbek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
What was his tone of voice? I could read that as sarcastic, as an insult, or as humor.
His tone of voice was loud, to reach across 2 lanes. :)

He seemed like a good-natured guy to me and his grin seemed genuine.
There were no signs of sarcasm in his face or manners that I could discern.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #6530
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,772
About 10 or so years ago, I pulled up at a light on my old XS650, alongside a loud Harley. The rider lookd across and yelled something that sounded very much like "Why don't you get yourself a REAL f***ing bike?" Thinking I must have mis-heard him, I tried to ask what he said but he looked away and started revving the engine like mad to drown out any possibiltiy of reply - Real classy jerk! Just as the light changed, there was a loud clatter and his air cleaner fell off. Nearly pissed myself laughing as I rode away.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #6531
Tip Over
Whoopsie!
 
Tip Over's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
I was waiting at a light when I heard a Harley ride up 2 lanes to my right and almost even with me. After a few seconds he honked so I looked at him. He fulfilled my stereotype for a "typical Harley rider": Leather face, beanie helmet full of slogan stickers, leather vest, bare arms. He was on a Sportster with a slightly louder than stock and pleasant sounding exhaust.
He must have looked at my Kawasaki Versys with crash bars, skid plate, and "Hardley Davidson" decal on the tank, because with a big grin he yelled at me "that's cool, that's very cool", then nodded and rode off as the light had turned green.

...I'm sure there is a "stupid question" in there somewhere, still working on that.
It was the first time that I got any reaction from a Harley rider about that decal.
Whenever I'm out on my Harley and I see an adventure/ Dual sport style bike, I always yell(if it's noisy, I have the stock exhaust and never rev) "Ride the world!" Half the time they look at me like I'm crazy, half the time they smile and give a thumbs up, and the other half they flip me the bird and laugh like a maniac.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #6532
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
Whenever I'm out on my Harley and I see an adventure/ Dual sport style bike, I always yell(if it's noisy, I have the stock exhaust and never rev) "Ride the world!" Half the time they look at me like I'm crazy, half the time they smile and give a thumbs up, and the other half they flip me the bird and laugh like a maniac.
What do they do the other half?

Once when on my KTM 950 SM I had a helmetless guy on a fairly tricked out (chopper type) HD give me a thumbs up and yell "cool bike!" while in traffic. Seemed genuine.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #6533
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver
 
doc4216's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alameda for now
Oddometer: 378
Yesterday I pulled into a restaurant, parked and started taking off gear. I noticed a younger guy (mid-early twenties) was watching from the front seating area. After putting my helmet in the side cases, he proceeds to walk up and ask me "what kind of bike that was?"
I replied nicely, "It's a FJR."
Then I got this back, "Oh, I wasn't that impressed."
My tone changed a little (but not much) when I said, "Well I guess it's a good thing you don't own it then."

After a few more short sentences, this man proceeded to tell me that he was impressed that my helmet fit in a side case but his wife wants to buy herself a Harley so she probably won't have them.

He was a couple fries short but I think he was trying to be nice and just didn't get it, lol!
__________________
"A straight road never made a skilled rider"
'13 Tiger 800 Roadie
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #6534
Haven't Ben There
searcher
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 20
A lot of the Harley Riders I know ride or used to ride dirt. Some of them also have duelsports. So they "get it." Many of them ride year round unless it is snowing or ice is on the roads. We laugh at the guys that go into the shop to get their preseason service done They cannot figure out why their new batter went dead when they have not road the bike in three months
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #6535
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven't Ben There View Post
A lot of the Harley Riders I know ride or used to ride dirt. Some of them also have duelsports. So they "get it." Many of them ride year round unless it is snowing or ice is on the roads. We laugh at the guys that go into the shop to get their preseason service done They cannot figure out why their new batter went dead when they have not road the bike in three months
Motorcycles are like tools. No one single tool will do every job in the garage, and neither will one motorcycle.

Harley makes a great, comfortable, mile eating machine. They have a very valid purpose in the world of motorcycles, and while I don't own one at the moment, I'm definitely not opposed to adding one to the arsenal in the future. I've met more than a fair share of HD owners who really knew motorcycles, and had been stacking miles on various two-wheelers for decades. I like these riders.

However, HD's marketing department does a great job of selling a lifestyle, not actually riding. It is unfortunate, because it attracts a lot of mouth-breathers to the brand, so much so that these idiots are starting to define the brand. Sadly, it is also this type of HD owner that tends to make this thread.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #6536
Haven't Ben There
searcher
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 20
Riding Donkeys I agree with you and it is unfortunate. But most of the HD riders I know are riders and they do not care for the "pirates" either. Some of them are in the local clubs and they really laugh at some of the "pirates." Most of the ones I have talked to have told me it does not matter what you ride as long as you ride. That is what they are concerned with, you actually ride and do not just talk about it. And I have found out it is hard to keep up with someone on an HD who knows how to ride it.
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #6537
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven't Ben There View Post
Riding Donkeys I agree with you and it is unfortunate. But most of the HD riders I know are riders and they do not care for the "pirates" either. Some of them are in the local clubs and they really laugh at some of the "pirates." Most of the ones I have talked to have told me it does not matter what you ride as long as you ride. That is what they are concerned with, you actually ride and do not just talk about it. And I have found out it is hard to keep up with someone on an HD who knows how to ride it.
Agreed on all counts.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #6538
revrandy
The Riding Rev.
 
revrandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Strathroy, ON
Oddometer: 248
I was riding through Rogers, MI today, a small town right on Lake Huron. Passing by an O'Reilly's Auto I remembered I needed oil, so in I go. My outfit consists of a hi-viz jacket, hi-viz hit-air vest, motorcycle pants and my boots. Just across from the window is where I parked my bike. This conversation takes place as I am purchasing 2 litres of motorcycle oil.

Cashier: Wow, you are dressed very bright.
Me: Yeah, I prefer to be seen.
Cashier: Are you going boating?
Me: Um, no riding a motorcycle
Cashier: Oh that red one in front of the window?
Me: Yeah.
Cashier: Nice bike.

Really, now can you confuse motorcycle gear for boating gear - especially when I am purchasing motorcycle oil.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #6539
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I was riding through Rogers, MI today, a small town right on Lake Huron. Passing by an O'Reilly's Auto I remembered I needed oil, so in I go. My outfit consists of a hi-viz jacket, hi-viz hit-air vest, motorcycle pants and my boots. Just across from the window is where I parked my bike. This conversation takes place as I am purchasing 2 litres of motorcycle oil.

Cashier: Wow, you are dressed very bright.
Me: Yeah, I prefer to be seen.
Cashier: Are you going boating?
Me: Um, no riding a motorcycle
Cashier: Oh that red one in front of the window?
Me: Yeah.
Cashier: Nice bike.

Really, now can you confuse motorcycle gear for boating gear - especially when I am purchasing motorcycle oil.

In their defense, Rogers City is a boating / fishing community.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #6540
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE
 
DOGSROOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: DOGHOUSE
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
In their defense, Rogers City is a boating / fishing community.
Are you suggesting that boaters and fishermen are not very bright?!!?


.
.
.
__________________
In what sense can economics still claim to be a science if its predictive capacity is so dismally low?
Timothy Garton Ash

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014