ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #4411
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 405
Cry RIP Greg.

We lost a good one this weekend.

My friend Greg passed away on Saturday afternoon on Squaw Pass Road. He was leading a group from the Denver Eurotrash Motorcycle Club down the road and coming into a blind switchback corner, hit a car head on. The car was over the double yellow line while passing a bicyclist.
Greg was killed instantly from the impact.
Greg was a very accomplished motorcyclist. He, like all of us, liked to have the spirited ride but he always knew his limitations and never rode on the ragged edge on the street.
He was also simply a good human being. Between bikes and wanted to ride? Greg was always the first to offer up one of his. Need advice? Greg was always there. Just needed an ear when it seemed no one else would listen? Greg was always happy to be that ear.
He had a passion for motorcycles. He loved watching races both in person and on TV.
He and his wife spent several weeks last summer in Italy going to races and visiting those places most of us only dream of some day visiting.

I last rode with him last year at Ducati in the Rockies. We spent Saturday together. The first couple of hours in the morning, we had a much slower rider with us and Greg pulled over, waited for him to catch up and then called some other riders to meet up with us that were going to be riding at a pace that was much more what this other rider was used to.
Once the other group caught up to us, we sent them on their way and went on ours.
Our pace was pretty quick but it was also well within what both of us were capable of. We stopped for lunch in Pagosa Springs and talked about the mundane. I got to know him better and am very thankful for the short time that I was able to call him my friend.

I last spoke to him on Thursday afternoon. I wanted some advice on a seat for my Multistrada and knew that he had been through a few so I wanted to pick his brain. He asked about my wife and kids and we chatted about other, far less important things. We ended the conversation by promising each other that we would have to ride together again soon.

Greg is survived by his wife and best friend of 30 years, Izzy. Another amazing soul in her own right. My heart is absolutely broken for her.

As I have tried to come to grips with Greg's loss, I wonder when the tears will come. I keep telling myself that I am still numb. That the tears will come in their own time. But I am not being honest with myself. I don't know if the tears will ever come. Not because I don't care for Greg. But because of the opposite. He died doing something he loved. Something that he had a passion for. He died showing others the way. And to that, I say we all should be so lucky. To die doing what one loves is to die truly happy.
We all have asked ourselves that question..."What would I do if I only had 6 months to live?"
I would be on my bike every waking hour. I would ride until the very end just like Greg. I would blast through heaven's gates in a third gear power wheelie, all while laughing into my helmet.

We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love.

I miss you terribly Greg. You are one that I will always and truly consider a friend. But I will hold on to the hope that some day we will meet again and that you are up there now, scouting out the great rides for the rest of us.

RIP my friend.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #4412
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post

My friend Greg passed away on Saturday afternoon on Squaw Pass Road.

RIP my friend.
Sorry about your friend. :( Always sucks to see somebody go too soon. Makes you wonder why we all do this thing sometimes, but we keep on doing it because we love it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #4413
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:

RIP my friend.
Very sorry for your loss. That sucks.

I know events like this make you question your own life. I know my wife shoves such events in my face whenever she can. But, here's how I see it. My Mom was petrified that my Dad would die before her leaving her issues she would be unable to handle, like a farm. She died in a hospice at 72 from a heart blockage that destroyed her brain. I had to convince my family members that it was time to let her go and to stop the life-sustaining efforts.

My Dad was petrified of dangerous things all his life and considered things like unnecessary travel and exploration as foolish endeavors. He died at 77 in a nursing home after a severe stroke left him a jumble of random thoughts. I had to make the decision to stop feeding him through his G-tube to end his suffering.

After the experiences I've had with my parents, I believe I'd much rather die doing what I love. I would bet your friend felt the same.

And if any of you inmates here find me mumbling in a nursing home one day, please put me on a bike and point me towards a high cliff.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #4414
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Sorry about your friend.
It sounds like we all lost a riding partner with his passing.
It's not how we die that matters, we all have to die, It's how we lived that matters.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #4415
KLR 41B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Sorry to hear of the bad news.
KLR 41B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #4416
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Hay Zimmerman
How did your trip down the Des Moines river go?
Where did you end up camping?
any pictures?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #4417
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

It's one of my most squidly pieces of clothing but I have a t-shirt that says, "I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death."

Words to live by.

My mom constantly gives me shit about my bikes. She asked me why Robin wanted to ride and got mad at me when I told her that because she doesn't let the worry of death dictate how she will live life.
She also doesn't like it when I point out that her and her husband's "disability" is caused not by accident or injury but what they ate, drank and smoked.

Anyway, enough morbid death talk shit. Greg loved life and I do his memory more honor by continuing to live mine to the fullest. So who wants to ride around the world with me?!?!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #4418
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's one of my most squidly pieces of clothing but I have a t-shirt that says, "I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death."

Words to live by.

My mom constantly gives me shit about my bikes. She asked me why Robin wanted to ride and got mad at me when I told her that because she doesn't let the worry of death dictate how she will live life.
She also doesn't like it when I point out that her and her husband's "disability" is caused not by accident or injury but what they ate, drank and smoked.

Anyway, enough morbid death talk shit. Greg loved life and I do his memory more honor by continuing to live mine to the fullest. So who wants to ride around the world with me?!?!

Hey, did you see the used Multi that Doug had for sale the other day? Preeeettty. Had me craving for a bike that actually runs. It looked like this one minus the chick:

Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #4419
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:

Words to live by.

I have in-laws that asked my wife why she "gave me permission" to by my bike and ride. Pffffft to them!!!!!

I'd ride around the world with ya...if you don't mind a BMW thumper chasing you like a little kid yelling,"Hey you guys...Wait up!!!" :)

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #4420
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter noob View Post
I have in-laws that asked my wife why she "gave me permission" to by my bike and ride. Pffffft to them!!!!!

I'd ride around the world with ya...if you don't mind a BMW thumper chasing you like a little kid yelling,"Hey you guys...Wait up!!!" :)
I already made the decision to do any long range/chance of falling over trips on a KTM single or the like. Much easier to fiddle with on the road and a lot easier to pick up when you fall over.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #4421
Motorcyclelad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
It's hard to justify the dangers of riding sometimes, especially when you have four young children like I do. But on the other hand, people die of silly stuff all the time like choking on a low fat raisin cluster organic granola bar.
I definitely ride differently than I did back in the day before I had kids, but I can't quit riding.
I guess the enjoyment and benefits far outweigh the chances of injury, dismemberment, paraplegia, and death.
Plus it's an addiction, or a genetic disorder. Either you have it or you don't. Or in some cases you may just not have it YET.
Many of my first memories are of standing near motorcycles or scooters or any motorized two wheeled machine admiring them and wising I could ride them.
It's just like shooting up heroin with a stranger, yes it's risky, but it feels good (ok, I'm kidding about that one).
I guess it can be best demonstrated by the actions of my best buddy from college, who I've ridden thousands and thousands of miles with. He got T-boned by an Asian foreign exchange student and lost all his toes and most of his left foot smashed between her bumper and the crankcase of his XT350, yet he used the insurance money to buy another bike (a DR250 which he couldn't ride for about six months because he first had to learn to walk, then make a homemade prosthetic to shift with). The bottom line is this: Yes, riding cost him his foot, but it was also the motivation for re-learning to walk and making it through all those surgeries and therapy, so maybe it's more of a catch 22. In other words, of what value is life if you don't have anything worth dyeing for.
Sorry about the rambling rant, it didn't make much sense to me either, and I wrote it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #4422
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclelad View Post
. . . it didn't make much sense to me either, and I wrote it.
I'm a lawyer, and I think the same thing every day.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #4423
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
It's hard to justify the dangers of riding sometimes, especially when you have four young children like I do. But on the other hand, people die of silly stuff all the time like choking on a low

Bla...bla...bla

Sorry about the rambling rant, it didn't make much sense to me either, and I wrote it.
Man, please make some paragraphs out of your rambling... could not read your rant!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #4424
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
It's just like shooting up heroin with a stranger, yes it's risky, but it feels good (ok, I'm kidding about that one).
are you sure
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #4425
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Rode + 400 miles today.
I took Mike up to Baxter Cycle so we could test ride the Explore.
I rode the XC and Mike rode the standard.

I was impressed, very nice street bike!
I don't know if it could go the places the Tenere has been but is a nice ride.
I also found my next Adventure bike.

Well maybe not.

Steve