Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #1276
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Probably been posted here in this thread before but - LET THE CAR BEHIND YOU KNOW THAT YOU'RE SLOWING DOWN.

I see this all too often following cruisers in a cage and it drives me nuts. Followed a guy and his gal in the rain on a cruiser today for 20 or 30 miles. I was in a cage. Even though he slowed numerous times, he was always using engine braking so his brake light never lit up to let me know he was slowing. Being a rider, I can understand why someone might use engine braking and downshifting to reduce speed but if you don't light up your brake light then the cage behind you might not be aware that you're slowing down and inadvertently plow you.

My advice is that if you're using engine braking to slow down it doesn't hurt to ride your front or rear brake just a little bit to light up your brake light to let the person behind you know that you're slowing down so they can react accordingly.

JMHO but part of situational awareness includes communicating to other road users what you're up to.

duck screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 08:42 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #1277
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Probably been posted here in this thread before but - LET THE CAR BEHIND YOU KNOW THAT YOU'RE SLOWING DOWN.

I see this all too often following cruisers in a cage and it drives me nuts. Followed a guy and his gal in the rain on a cruiser today for 20 or 30 miles. I was in a cage. Even though he slowed numerous times, he was always using engine braking so his brake light never lit up to let me know he was slowing. Being a rider, I can understand why someone might use engine braking and downshifting to reduce speed but if you don't light up your brake light then the cage behind you might not be aware that you're slowing down and inadvertently plow you.

My advice is that if you're using engine braking to slow down it doesn't hurt to ride your front or rear brake just a little bit to light up your brake light to let the person behind you know that you're slowing down so they can react accordingly.

JMHO but part of situational awareness includes communicating to other road users what you're up to.
Good point. Drives me nuts as well when I see that. When I use engine braking, Ill just tap the front brake a few times just to light it up.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #1278
gunnirider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
push right....turn left. push left....turn right. my first experience on pavement (when i was 16) almost sent me off the road. learning on dirt was great, but all it taught me was how to use the throttle and clutch...brakes optional.
gunnirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #1279
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
push right....turn left. push left....turn right. my first experience on pavement (when i was 16) almost sent me off the road. learning on dirt was great, but all it taught me was how to use the throttle and clutch...brakes optional.
huh? and huh?

push right, turn right. push left, turn left.

and i use my brakes in the dirt all the time. the alternative is to use trees to slow you down...
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #1280
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,392
n00bs Please do NOT take advice from this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #1281
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Demonstrates that dirt riders know nothing except details of what crippled them. This one is mentally crippled.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #1282
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,281

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #1283
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,400
Best advice:

Don't get too full of yourself.

Right now in Malaysia, a 15 year old girl is doing the same thing you are with 1/4 of the cc's and in much heavier traffic (and her 5 year old brother is on the back)
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #1284
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 92
What is behind you - IS - important! (if its moving)
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #1285
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I don't know if this is good advice or not.

I read on some fjr forum to cover the clutch and take up the slack with your fingers when leaned over in a corner when you're about to crack on the throttle. This makes it so that if you hamfist the fueling and upset the bike, when your body is thrown towards the rear you will pull in the clutch a bit to get power off the rear wheel. This effectively gives you some traction control
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #1286
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I don't know if this is good advice or not.

I read on some fjr forum to cover the clutch and take up the slack with your fingers when leaned over in a corner when you're about to crack on the throttle. This makes it so that if you hamfist the fueling and upset the bike, when your body is thrown towards the rear you will pull in the clutch a bit to get power off the rear wheel. This effectively gives you some traction control
I'm not going to say "Don't do that," but as far as I can figure, and with many miles on a sport bike through many a corner... I've just not experienced that it would work anything like that, nor that ham-fisting the throttle when leaned over would cause anything much at the low-end of a fuck up, and at the high-end a low-side or high-side - both of which are gonna happen pretty fast, with neither seemingly jerking the rider back enough to engage the clutch.

I'm gonna wait and hope for someone's more insightful input on covering the clutch that tightly.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 06:54 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #1287
Muddobber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
noob

Look where you want to go! Oh and if you're riding a torquey bike hard in twisties, ride the back brake a little when you transition from no throttle to throttle. It smooths out the hit on some of the snatchy EFI systems we have today.
Muddobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #1288
SkxSkiBum
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Riding....

The best advice my Dad when he gave me a Honda CB/CL (it was both) 350 to ride (he also never gave it to me, says he) was that everyone, EVERY ONE[!] is drunk and out to get you. Never trust anybody in a car.

That advice has served me well whether I'm in a car or on a motorcycle or on a road bicycle. Everyone is trying to kill you, ride/drive as though they were. In 40 years of driving something on the road I've had one accident and it was when I was pulling a Uhaul trailer and couldn't get out of the way.

I really miss my ol' Dad. He'd really like the BWM F800GS until he found I bought with his money ;-)
SkxSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #1289
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Although you're certainly not the first person to post this little gem of misinformation, pretending that everyone is drunk and out to kill you is really fucking stupid advice which has no basis in reality. The truth is that if drivers WERE out to kill us then they probably could and would kill/maim us with impunity.

A much more reality-based approach is to recognize that due to inattentiveness and/or physiological imperfections in human vision processing that's it's very possible for a driver not to be aware of your presence. Do they want to kill you? Nope. If for no other reason than they don't want dents in their car and being taken away from their normal activities to deal with the hassle of an accident.

Can someone "look right at you" and still pull out in front of you? Yes, sure enough, happens all the time. Does it mean they aren't sober or are homicidal? Nope.

If I actually rode like "everyone is drunk and trying to kill me" then I'd probably end up with a shitload of tickets and my license being pulled.

And, as a driver, if I'd really wanted "try to kill MC riders" then, at my age, I'd already have a quarter panel full of rider silhouettes by now.

"Pretend you're invisible" is much better advice which has a grounding in reality.

duck screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 08:00 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #1290
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Trail Braking Basics

Noobs--for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfaBt3sJSCs
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote