ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #76
markflip
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I did read your post but I also read the one just before it that said to use the gpx converter...
markflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #77
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
No, there should be no advantage to doing the kml-to-gpx conversion. That is what BC does when it imports the kml file.
I have not done this, but ....
1. convert kml-gpx and import into BC.
2. export the BC generated file as gpx.
3. import the kml file directly
4. export the BC generated file as gpx.
5. compare the two newly exported gpx files.
I bet they are the same, or at least functionally the same.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by markflip View Post
So i still get two answers here, do i have to use the kml to gpx converter or not? Im aware now that I may be converting the imported kml file to a route incorrectly (too many points) but is there an advantage to converting the kml file to gpx prior to importing it?

:screwy:
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #78
guavadude OP
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
When I started this thread, I don't think BC was able to import the KML directly. I tried it last night and it appears to be the same as using gpx2KML.com so that's good.
Unfortunately BC kept getting hung up when trying to convert a track to a route. I tried to filter the track points and it got hung again and I had to force quit.

I can see using just BC for creating routes when it has terrain view, street view and aerial view and let's me email links so my family can see the routes. If you already know your route then yeah BC is fine. If you are creating a route and haven't already bought every map Garmin sells, then Google is the much better tool and its not even close.

When viewing Adventures, even Garmin uses Google maps!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #79
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
When I started this thread, I don't think BC was able to import the KML directly. I tried it last night and it appears to be the same as using gpx2KML.com so that's good.
Unfortunately BC kept getting hung up when trying to convert a track to a route. I tried to filter the track points and it got hung again and I had to force quit.

I can see using just BC for creating routes when it has terrain view, street view and aerial view and let's me email links so my family can see the routes. If you already know your route then yeah BC is fine. If you are creating a route and haven't already bought every map Garmin sells, then Google is the much better tool and its not even close.

When viewing Adventures, even Garmin uses Google maps!
Very cool. One night this week I am going to try this as well. I was only converting the file since all the directions out there stated to do so! And it worked...

Very cool if we can just download the KML from google and go straight to BC.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #80
markflip
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
No, there should be no advantage to doing the kml-to-gpx conversion. That is what BC does when it imports the kml file.
I have not done this, but ....
1. convert kml-gpx and import into BC.
2. export the BC generated file as gpx.
3. import the kml file directly
4. export the BC generated file as gpx.
5. compare the two newly exported gpx files.
I bet they are the same, or at least functionally the same.
-ceej
Thanx!
This is clear now, I have to give it a shot again.
markflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #81
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
Choose Off Road Tracks, then select Google-Track; it will be uploaded.
Then choose Trip Logs and select the same Google-Track. You can let the GPS recalculate the route, or you can cancel it.

Let me talk about the off-road track first. It took me quite a while to figure out how to use it.
First go to tools, manage trip logs, and select the track. I suggest you change the color so that it is obvious when you see it; I used orange. Then make sure that Show On Map is selected. Go back to the Home screen and select View Map. You should see the track. It is "just another map feature." You do not get any voice notifications or popups when you are on or near it. You just "follow it."

What about the imported track-to-route that was allowed to recalculate? Voila! It worked just as you want a route to work, with verbal notifications of turns followed by distance to travel. Interestingly, when I re-attached my GPS to BC and 'opened' the route, there are just Begin and End via points.

So, ....
It seems to me that if you want turn-by-turn directions, you should upload the Google-Track to the gps and have it changed to a route there. At least if you have a Zumo 660!

I'd love to hear that someone else could reproduce and validate the above.
-ceej
Ok Ceej, hoping you can save the day again. So I tested this method out a few weeks back. Worked FLAWLESSLY. I loved it.

Now OF COURSE, when it's 72 hrs until my month long trip, something is borked.

I did everything the same.

Brought in my KML through Base Camp. Renamed all of the tracks (I did it by date). Highlighted those tracks, sent them to device via USB.

Then went to MY DATA.

Then IMPORT DATA.

Then OFF ROAD TRACKS.

Then selected JULY 3

Then MANAGE TRIP LOG

I select JULY 3rd. And it doesn't give me an option to route. It just displays "Show on Map" "Set Color" "Change Name"

Where did I go wrong?

73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #82
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Well I may have sussed it out.

I may have chose the incorrect trip logs. I went to MANAGE TRIP LOGS.

I should have used TRIP LOGS -- within the IMPORT DATA menu.

PHEW.

73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #83
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Glad you figured it out!
Have a great trip.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
Well I may have sussed it out.
I may have chose the incorrect trip logs. I went to MANAGE TRIP LOGS.
I should have used TRIP LOGS -- within the IMPORT DATA menu.
PHEW.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #84
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,975
New Google Maps- AAAGGGHH!!

Dammit Google why did you have to go and mess up a good thing???

I have been using Google Maps to plan out multi-destination routes and use the mouse to change sections of the route based upon my preferences. Once complete I'd run gmaptogpx and it creates a .gpx file I could then edit, drag & drop into the GPX folder on my Montana and be ready to go. Very simple and effective.

Recently Google has updated to a new version of maps and there is no more multi-destination routing, no adding of destinations by right clicking on the maps and worst of all gmaptogpx doesn't work with the new version.

Google is keeping the old version (now called Classic Maps) around for the time being but that won't last forever.

Does anyone know of a similar map-to-gpx utility for Bing Maps as an alternative to Google Classic maps?

Thanks.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #85
guavadude OP
de-composer

I think the new Google maps is still in beta. Maybe it will have more functionality when it's complete. Maybe not.

I finally got a reply from my report to google that damn near all the farm roads in Texas are missing labels. It only took six months and they replied "you're right."

So now I see that they have put the labels back but it's a new format with little squares around the road numbers. The only problem is that they're using this same format for all the County Roads too which are much smaller than farm roads. These use to only show up when you zoomed in but now someone's driveway is labeled with just as much weight as a farm road. Awesome.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #86
guavadude OP
de-composer

Just an update...the latest version of Basecamp imports KML files so the gpxtokml.com steps aren't necessary anymore. Just save your KML files from google maps and import, then convert to a route if you want.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #87
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Just an update...the latest version of Basecamp imports KML files so the gpxtokml.com steps aren't necessary anymore. Just save your KML files from google maps and import, then convert to a route if you want.

This works well. I tested 3 weeks ago for my trip to the VA/NC/TN area. Worked great, in fact!

Key thing for some guys just tuning in: TURN OFF AUTO-RECALCULATE!!!

If you don't turn it off and you get off-track, it will recalculate to your destination and use its own preferred route. I turned mine to "PROMPT."
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #88
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,063
You have turn off the "avoid highway" under options to have the "save to my maps " appear. You can set up the route with the avoid on and then when ready to save turn it off, select "get directions " again (won't change the route) then the "save to my maps" reappears.
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #89
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Great thread, and I've used this info with great success. However, some issues:

1. I use a lot of "Add a Destination" points. Each one of these becomes a Waypoint in Mapsource and denotes the end of a track. So I end up having to use the Join Track Tool to get one continuous track. Is there an alternative, other than “Dragging” the route where I want it to go? Using Add a Destination seems so much easier.
2. I just did a route with 13 Google Maps points. It truncated the .XML file. Left off the last, homeward leg.
3. Once the route is saved to My Maps, how can I recall it to the standard Google Maps page with continuous Turn by Turns? There is no way to print the entire route out of My Maps. That I can find.

BTW, IMHO the "New" Google Maps sux. Hard to use, not intuitive, ands appears to be lacking some functionality of the Classic version. Maybe I haven't worked with it enough.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #90
guavadude OP
de-composer

I only use the beginning and end points, getting directions and then drag to the route I want. Not sure how to help but if you do this you can easily add several points to lock down the dragging as you build the route. Maybe try it this way instead of multiple destination points which are obviously confusing the Garmin app.
Also have you tried Basecamp instead of Mapsource? I always break my multi-day routes into different days and often different sections depending on what I'm doing.

Please post back if you figure it out. And yeah, the new google maps sucks. Now instead of a My Maps list containing my saved routes, it saves every single search for me so the list is a mess. I've written to them asking to divide saved routes separate from searches, so I'm pretty sure they'll just delete the route saving option and will only let me see recent searches in the name of progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk