ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
mrmagoolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Backing up basecamp

How do I backup basecamp? I have two computers and want to back up my main computer and then use that backup on my netbook so they are the same. Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
mrmagoolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Think I have it figured out.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
mrmagoolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Let me change

what I am asking. How do you sync two or more computers? I want the info to be the same on all of them.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoolin View Post
what I am asking. How do you sync two or more computers? I want the info to be the same on all of them.
There are a number of good software products that can sync folders or entire file systems between two computers. One is Goodsync (works across a network); another is Dropbox (works over the Internet).
The problem, however, is that BaseCamp works with a (single) database which holds all of its information. So if you make changes on Computer-1, then sync (or copy) the database to Computer-2, you can safely make changes on Computer-2 (and vice versa). HOWEVER - if you use BC on both computers without syncing in between, then there will be different changes on each computer, with no good way to 'merge' them (sync programs can't do that).

I searched and found this post. Start reading at post #26.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoolin View Post
How do I backup basecamp? I have two computers and want to back up my main computer and then use that backup on my netbook so they are the same. Thanks
You can use Basecamp's Backup/Restore utility.

Backup and Restore will only save the list structure and data you have in BC. You'll do a BC 'Backup' on your main computer then do a BC 'Restore' on the netbook. Where you store the backup file is totally up to you.

But be warned, Backup/Restore doesn't write any changes you've made to any *.gpx files you imported into 'My Collection'. To save or write any changes back to a specific imported *.gpx file, you need to do an 'Export'.

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 05:06 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 650
The newest betas allow designation of a cloud or network drive as the location of your data file. Syncing is then automatic. Expect the feature in the next full release, or download the latest beta. So far it's working well on my Macs, window$??? dunno.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

I don't want to use the f^%$#ing cloud!
I want the software to let me designate the folder location in which to store my active files.
And, preferably, allow me to designate a different location for my backup files should I want (and I do!).
Geeze - just give me basic software functionality before you give me the damn cloud!
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
The newest betas allow designation of a cloud or network drive as the location of your data file. Syncing is then automatic. Expect the feature in the next full release, or download the latest beta. So far it's working well on my Macs, window$??? dunno.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
I don't want to use the f^%$#ing cloud!
I want the software to let me designate the folder location in which to store my active files.
And, preferably, allow me to designate a different location for my backup files should I want (and I do!).
Geeze - just give me basic software functionality before you give me the damn cloud!
-ceej
Which the latest Betas allow, including thumb drives and SD cards... Or didn't you read my post? The OP was looking for options to sync computers.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, Steve.
Your post only said 'cloud'; I reacted too quickly.
I then went to the Garmin forums and pawed around; found FALAGAR's sticky on the latest beta w/other posts. I'll probably put it on my laptop; I'm a sucker for testing. I'll keep the most current/official version on my desktop.
So, a belated thanks.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Which the latest Betas allow, including thumb drives and SD cards... Or didn't you read my post? The OP was looking for options to sync computers.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Just a comment, I've been using my cloud storage from MyGarmin account since last winter to keep my info synced on both my Macs. I dont see anything that indicates its a beta. (not saying it's NOT a beta, just that I haven't noticed any indication that it is) It's worked like a charm for me. I keep all my favorite waypoints/routes/tracks etc on it so I can play from whichever computer Im on or plug in the Garmin to either computer to upload or download. It works real slick. And you can load updated info on your laptop from the road, and someone at home can view or modify your route or whatever from the other computer. Makes a nice traveling companion.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Steve W
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
Just a comment, I've been using my cloud storage from MyGarmin account since last winter to keep my info synced on both my Macs. I dont see anything that indicates its a beta. (not saying it's NOT a beta, just that I haven't noticed any indication that it is) It's worked like a charm for me. I keep all my favorite waypoints/routes/tracks etc on it so I can play from whichever computer Im on or plug in the Garmin to either computer to upload or download. It works real slick. And you can load updated info on your laptop from the road, and someone at home can view or modify your route or whatever from the other computer. Makes a nice traveling companion.
The current releases do this, but it's data only, none of your list structure is preserved and you have to have your total collection there. The Betas allow you to have multiple Library locations, in different folders, all with your data and structure intact. For example, with MapSource I filed everything by year, tracks routes and waypoints. I also had a "Base" file that contained all of my waypoints used to start a new planning session.

BaseCamp will soon allow this, once the next release is ready. The Mac beta still has a few issues.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
mrmagoolin OP
Studly Adventurer

I will be trying out the new versions soon. I just need some time to get it going. Thanks for all the info so far.