ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #8416
dbern
outsider

Oddometer: 60
Maps

I have read a bunch of this stuff but did not see this question... Would it be possible to do the TAT with the base map package on the 600? And I assume it would not, what package do I need the CN or the 24k topo or both??
dbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #8417
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
If you create a new Profile for each of your activities, you can name them CN, 24K, etc. Within each profile, you then are able to select which maps are enabled for that profile.

Try creating a default or base profile, set things the way you want them, and then copy that profile to create the others, modifying only the new profiles you created from your default.
This is what i did, but when i create the others it does not let me change the map choice. Strange.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #8418
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
If you create a new Profile for each of your activities, you can name them CN, 24K, etc. Within each profile, you then are able to select which maps are enabled for that profile...
This has never worked reliably for me. It sometimes works and often times doesn't. I tried creating shortcuts to enable/disable certain maps but that was a complete waste...somethings messed up that it won't create the discrete "setups". POS...

Something else has been a nuisance.... it seems that 80+% of the time I come to a stop in the car, the thing won't keep pointing the direction I'm headed. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether the compass is enabled or not although compass enabled generally works pretty well when handheld. I can set an old fashioned compass next to the unit in the car and it seems to point close enough to true so I'm not sure why the unit won't. More bugs I guess...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #8419
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 910
Earlier today I tried to install CNNA 2014.10 on the Montana (using garmin express) I thought it installed OK but when I checked closer it was a failed install.
I tried to install few different ways still did not install correctly.
I have the Garmin Lifetime Map Update Card.

So what I had to do is install the map update using an old version of GarminMapUpdater
It installed the new version of CNNA and "It Said It Would" uninstalled the old version.

It did install the new version but it did not uninstall the old version.
So I had to run MapInstall to remove the old version of CNNA.

So if you have similar trouble this worked for me.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #8420
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post

Something else has been a nuisance.... it seems that 80+% of the time I come to a stop in the car, the thing won't keep pointing the direction I'm headed. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether the compass is enabled or not although compass enabled generally works pretty well when handheld. I can set an old fashioned compass next to the unit in the car and it seems to point close enough to true so I'm not sure why the unit won't. More bugs I guess...
I'll take a stab at this: by "the thing" can I assume you just have the map open, not navigating and you're talking about the the blue pointer...?

If that's the case I believe the movement you're seeing is a result of the error factor inherent in a GPSr. It assumes you've moved 3 feet and re-orients the pointer to reflect this movement. It as annoying and I don't recall my 2720 doing this. And, of course, I could be WAY off on this so take it for what it's worth
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #8421
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What do you think of the ones that come with the AMPS mount?
Nothing wrong with them as long as you don't get them to hot as they are thick enough to "pop" the touch screen and make the GPS think you touched the screen - somewhere. I prefer a clear screen protector. The Garmin ones are Anti-glare and just a bit of a mat finish. My eyes don't care for that.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #8422
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
I'll take a stab at this: by "the thing" can I assume you just have the map open, not navigating and you're talking about the the blue pointer...?

If that's the case I believe the movement you're seeing is a result of the error factor inherent in a GPSr. It assumes you've moved 3 feet and re-orients the pointer to reflect this movement. It as annoying and I don't recall my 2720 doing this. And, of course, I could be WAY off on this so take it for what it's worth
Correct on my technical jargon (the thing). I agree that it is prolly due to error, and my other GPS's occasionally do this but waaaay less often...maybe 10-20% depending on sky coverage. This one is much worse by far, doing it most of the time I stop.

Turning on the compass doesn't seem to help at all and I thought that's one of the things the compass is sorta for...and it seems to work when level pretty well but not so good when vertical... They claim it's a "tilt-compensated, 3-axis"...
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #8423
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Correct on my technical jargon (the thing). I agree that it is prolly due to error, and my other GPS's occasionally do this but waaaay less often...maybe 10-20% depending on sky coverage. This one is much worse by far, doing it most of the time I stop.

Turning on the compass doesn't seem to help at all and I thought that's one of the things the compass is sorta for...and it seems to work when level pretty well but not so good when vertical... They claim it's a "tilt-compensated, 3-axis"...
The Montana, being a versatile GPS, needs to have the sensitivity of a handheld as well as support motorized, marine and aviation needs. That's a lot of requirements in a single unit. We could all ask Garmin to add a "desensitize" feature but I'm sure most customers would never use it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #8424
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Nothing wrong with them as long as you don't get them to hot as they are thick enough to "pop" the touch screen and make the GPS think you touched the screen - somewhere....
FWIW, even in my car in AZ sun with car interior getting up around 65°C when parked with Montana in it and the Garmin touch protectors, I've not seen any false touches (yet) when I power it up and it's likely around that same temperature.......
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #8425
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Montana, being a versatile GPS, needs to have the sensitivity of a handheld as well as support motorized, marine and aviation needs. That's a lot of requirements in a single unit. We could all ask Garmin to add a "desensitize" feature but I'm sure most customers would never use it.
I'm sorry but that is nonsense. My other handheld units when used in the car don't do this... And why doesn't the compass work?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #8426
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I'm sorry but that is nonsense. My other handheld units when used in the car don't do this... And why doesn't the compass work?
Nonsense?

The last thought I'll share with you: If I had a GPS that worked as poorly as your's seems to, I'd either send it back for a replacement or I'd sell it and find a better GPS. I've done just that more times than I can count.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #8427
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nonsense?

The last thought I'll share with you: If I had a GPS that worked as poorly as your's seems to, I'd either send it back for a replacement or I'd sell it and find a better GPS. I've done just that more times than I can count.
I'd certainly considered selling it. The unit hardware doesn't appear to be a problem it's the shlock firmware so I don't see any reason to waste time sending it back - none of my complaints seem to be anything no one else is seeing. Frankly I hear about other common problems that I don't see (e.g. losing GPS fix)! The only thing about the hardware that comes to mind that I'd change in an ideal world is adding buttons (cheap), a better touch (not as cheap), a better SD socket (cheap, I worry about breaking that) and maybe GLONASS.

I'd certainly considered selling it. I've got a fair bit of time and money invested in it (and maps/accessories) and selling it wouldn't help either of those things much since I'd spend even more time selling it (I don't have a ready place to go do that anyway), losing a large portion of the money spent and either spend more on another or live with the other older GPS's I've got. I've resigned myself to getting a couple of years out of it as a primary, getting a better unit later and relegating it to secondary/redundant/backup....it would be pretty good for that. It sucks as a primary for me though - I am a very demanding user on nav equipment and have been for a very long time.. LORAN, VOR's, ADF's and even CNAV or map and compass (fun and good to stay current!) and this unit *should* IMO function much better than it does since they *could* be fixed with the appropriate software effort. I'm not counting on Garmin to fix the problems or validate the features though. If they couldn't/wouldn't get it a whole lot better in the two years it's been out the hope seems dim...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #8428
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
If I had a GPS that worked as poorly as your's seems to, I'd either send it back for a replacement or I'd sell it and find a better GPS.
Or at least save the rest of us the grief and stop the constant complaining in this thread.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #8429
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 580
@SteveAZ, I just want to say in complete contrast that this is my very first gps.
I had a very hard time pulling the trigger on any gps since I thought my iphone could pretty much do all I needed. Now that I have the Montana, it's taken me places I never would have gone. It's let me carry tracks from other people and create my own and I've gotten farther off the beaten path a little more every ride.

Nothing's perfect and I send requests to Garmin too, but damn I've had a lot of fun with the help of this thing.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #8430
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
... Turning on the compass doesn't seem to help ...
Do you use the automount?
When in the automount the compass is switched off automatically. Garmin did this, because the magnet in the speaker of the automount makes it totally useless. Try it yourself by holding the Montana near (but not in) the automount while watching the compass page.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote