Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 202 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #29431
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of an ESD event. Something that disables the toy for a bit. MAybe I can get the collective working on it?
Lots of cell jammer plans on the 'net. My understanding is that it's totally illegal to use one, but I'm not sure about possession.

My big concern with something like that is that you take their split attention completely away from road while they try to figure out why their call just disconnected.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #29432
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
ESD... where cyclists are kings!
There goes your GPS and phone in jersey pocket!

Di2 becomes single speed post event
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #29433
HondaBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I'm late to the party here but glad I found this thread!

Avid cyclist here, no where near kbasa, Rapid, Gummee, etc. but love me some riding. Road, dirt, cyclocross, tandem, love to do it all.

Just got back from BRAG (bike ride across Georgia) where I clocked 480 miles for the week in south Georgia. Nice and flat which allowed my crew to clock a 5:40 century. Great times.

I'm also a hasher like Gummee and we have a mountain bike hash here in the Atlanta area (hash=drinking club with a running/riding problem), wheelhopper.com

Tons of great information in this thread, thanks for posting and hope I can contribute!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #29434
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,388
Welcome Bob... better a hasher than a Cutter I guess.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #29435
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,656
One of my teammates has a Cutters jersey.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #29436
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,523
I don't want to jam it, I want to shut the car, and the phone off. Even the guys big ugly watch.

It would be nice if people could get the idea into their own heads that doing anything other than driving, while driving is bad. Speaking of which, saw two girls riding bicycles the other day.
Yeah, both were texting.

Remember when the phone company counted text messages?

NSA servers would explode. "... Hey Murph, this guy is supposed to be working right? Well, he's texting some hooker in Bangkok and pricing espresso machines, and streaming Kenny G. I think we better put a watch on him!"
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #29437
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
I don't want to jam it, I want to shut the car, and the phone off. Even the guys big ugly watch.

It would be nice if people could get the idea into their own heads that doing anything other than driving, while driving is bad. Speaking of which, saw two girls riding bicycles the other day.
Yeah, both were texting.

Remember when the phone company counted text messages?

NSA servers would explode. "... Hey Murph, this guy is supposed to be working right? Well, he's texting some hooker in Bangkok and pricing espresso machines, and streaming Kenny G. I think we better put a watch on him!"
Everyone's special....rules don't apply to them.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #29438
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Ah yes the window-licker rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Everyone's special....rules don't apply to them.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #29439
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,465
Fuck fuck fuck.

Sorry for the language- I know this isn't jomamma but man - this is tough.

Maria Parker is out of RAAM - one of her support vehicles was rear-ended near Tuba City AZ.

For someone - anyone - to have worked so hard, invested so much time and effort only to have it all nullified by someone's negligence is a crying shame. Yes - accidents occur but nearly every accident can be prevented.

I'm so sorry that it ended this way for all the Parkers and their support team and I'm happy that everyone is relatively unharmed - only bumps, bruises and a chipped tooth to Maria's son.

I can't tell if this was 89 or 160. Our brevet group has US 89 on a 600-km. This is the one main route out of Flagstaff going north. Tuba City is off of 160 - again, the only route in that area. I flat-out refuse to ride either of them on a bicycle - too dangerous in either direction and as this incident has shown, even a vehicle with lights, flags, etc isn't immune.

k7 screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 10:22 AM
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #29440
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,656
Ugh. I saw that on FB. Be careful out there, kids. That just sucks. She was riding to raise money for brain cancer. If my fundraising instincts are right, this might actually help her raise money, I hate to say. I like that she has a text number to donate $10 to her cause. That's freaking awesome. But it still sucks that she's out. The recumbent she has is pretty sweet.

I'm heading out to the Sierras for a couple days of altitude camp in a couple hours.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #29441
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Ugh. I saw that on FB. Be careful out there, kids. That just sucks. She was riding to raise money for brain cancer. If my fundraising instincts are right, this might actually help her raise money, I hate to say. I like that she has a text number to donate $10 to her cause. That's freaking awesome. But it still sucks that she's out. The recumbent she has is pretty sweet.

I'm heading out to the Sierras for a couple days of altitude camp in a couple hours.
Be careful man.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #29442
k7
Ancien cyclist

From RAAM via FB:

MARIA PARKER OUT OF THE RACE
By Vic Armijo
June 14, 2013
Pagosa Springs, Colorado

Maria Parker had been having a good race. Her pace was going well, she wasn't far behind Kathy Roche-Wallace and she hadn't encountered any problems—that is until a motorist who was reportedly texting crashed into the back of her follow van outside of Tuba City, Arizona. Word is that fortunately none of her crew members were seriously hurt, but the same can't be said of her back-up bikes that were on the back of the vehicle; the were crushed. With her equipment destroyed along with the morale of her crew Parker had no choice than to pack it in.

This is a heart-breaking end to an inspiring effort, “My sister was diagnosed with brain cancer back in October and I decided that I wanted to do something that would make a difference,” Parker related back in Oceanside, “Race Across America is the biggest platform that I have available to me with the skills that I have. We decided to do RAAM and raise a million dollars for brain cancer research.”We're hoping that during RAAM we'll raise a lot and then we'll just keep on going. I've got a team of young people helping me on this. We're really using social media a lot. My nephews did 'Drive Across America' a couple of weeks ago. They drove this route to raise money. We've got Facebook, Twitter, the website is 3000MilesToACure.com. And we have a Text To Give number. If you text the word 'Race' to 20222 you can make a ten dollar donation. And essentially that's what we're looking for—we want 100,000 ten dollar donations. We hope that when people think about cancer and want to do something that this will be an easy way for people to give.”
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #29443
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

How does one rearend something like that? Asleep?

Glad nobody was hurt. Crazy people out there on the roads.

Anyway in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
MARIA PARKER OUT OF THE RACE
By Vic Armijo
June 14, 2013
Pagosa Springs, Colorado

Maria Parker had been having a good race. Her pace was going well, she wasn't far behind Kathy Roche-Wallace and she hadn't encountered any problems—that is until a motorist who was reportedly texting crashed into the back of her follow van outside of Tuba City, Arizona. Word is that fortunately none of her crew members were seriously hurt, but the same can't be said of her back-up bikes that were on the back of the vehicle; the were crushed. With her equipment destroyed along with the morale of her crew Parker had no choice than to pack it in.

This is a heart-breaking end to an inspiring effort, “My sister was diagnosed with brain cancer back in October and I decided that I wanted to do something that would make a difference,” Parker related back in Oceanside, “Race Across America is the biggest platform that I have available to me with the skills that I have. We decided to do RAAM and raise a million dollars for brain cancer research.”We're hoping that during RAAM we'll raise a lot and then we'll just keep on going. I've got a team of young people helping me on this. We're really using social media a lot. My nephews did 'Drive Across America' a couple of weeks ago. They drove this route to raise money. We've got Facebook, Twitter, the website is 3000MilesToACure.com. And we have a Text To Give number. If you text the word 'Race' to 20222 you can make a ten dollar donation. And essentially that's what we're looking for—we want 100,000 ten dollar donations. We hope that when people think about cancer and want to do something that this will be an easy way for people to give.”
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #29444
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,388
Donated, thanks for the link and information!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #29445
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
How does one rearend something like that? Asleep?

Glad nobody was hurt. Crazy people out there on the roads.

Anyway in!
Several having mentioned texting but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed.

Here's the area:

I've driven these roads many, many times over the last 18 years and about half the time, I see accidents. I'm not sure if it's boredom, speed, alcohol or what but these are dangerous roads.

Here's another update from FB:

WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS! Maria wants to get back on the bike and finish what we've started. In the next couple of hours, the crew will meet and outline exactly what we need to make this happen!

Due to damage to the vehicle and destruction of equipment, we can no longer officially participate in RAAM but we are still going to do what we set out to do. We are all so overwhelmed by the incredible outpouring of love and support from all of you. This is the power of WE. And WE have the power to end brain cancer.

Like I mentioned, Maria and Jim Parker are good people.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: