Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #17311
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,352
I started on the 12,000 mile service on my 2012 T800 tonight. It has seen minimal off pavement use, but has seen mostly a combination of commuting, touring, and some aggressive street riding. Based on that, my findings are as follows:

1) Air filter - it is called for at this mileage. Glad I decided to buy one. I wouldn't want to run it to 24,000 miles.

2) Valves - glad I decided to check them. The exhaust valve clearance specs are .325mm to .375mm. Converted to inches that is roughly .013" to .015". In fact, .015" is ever so slightly larger than the maximum, which is really .01476378". I can fit a .015" feeler gauge under a couple of the exhaust cam lobes with some force, which tells me these valves are on the edge of being too loose. If I really try to force it I can get a .016 feeler gauge under one lobe, but I believe I forced it hard enough to start opening the valve a hair. If I really wanted to make it perfect I would measure the shims and buy the replacements .025 mm smaller (.001") to get the valve clearance into the middle of the spec range, but I don't see the point. A little loose isn't going to hurt anything, so why hassle with it? All intake valves were in spec. The intake valves have a wider clearance range (.004" - .008"), so I'm not surprised by this.

By the way, apparently you are supposed to either remove the throttle cable bracket or move the throttle bodies back to remove the valve cover. I was able to simply push down on the throttle bodies and deflect them a bit to work the cover out of the right side. It took all of an hour to remove all of the trim, gas tank, air box, valve cover, and check all valve clearances. I estimate another half hour to reassemble tomorrow, though I won't do that immediately since I still have other parts of the service to complete.

3) Throttle Body Sync - I know the manual says to do this electronically, and I have the software & cable to do so. But just for fun I'm going to see if there are fittings to hook up a Morgan carb tune and see how close the electronic readings are to actual vacuum measurements.

4) Spark plugs - The service manual says to replace at this mileage. After inspecting them I see no point in replacement and will reinstall them.

5) Valve cover gasket - Likewise. I will reuse the old one.

6) Coolant and brake fluid - I will replace as indicated

7) Steering head bearings and shock linkage - I will grease as suggested.

8) Drive chain guide - this piece is supposed to be replaced every 6,000 miles. That would be a complete waste of money. I expect it to last about as long as I expect the chain and sprockets to last, and intend to replace all items at the same time.

So far there is nothing out of the ordinary. This bike continues to impress.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified

Bueller screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 09:14 PM
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #17312
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,512
^^ great service report, thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #17313
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,753
Bueller - I think if you compare your spark plugs to new ones you will find that the center electrode will be visibly worn as mine were.

My air filter after 12K miles, mostly street, some gravel.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #17314
Bueller
Cashin?

I was able to see the wear, I just don't think they are worn enough to warrant replacement. Not that it's a big deal anyway. Rather than pay the $9.99 asking price from triumph, if I wanted to replace them my local autozone two miles up the street has that exact plug in stock for something like $5.39 each.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #17315
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Iridium's. 18 months and going strong.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #17316
eram310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Great report and something to consider to those of us who are contemplating the 12K mark service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I started on the 12,000 mile service on my 2012 T800 tonight. It has seen minimal off pavement use, but has seen mostly a combination of commuting, touring, and some aggressive street riding. Based on that, my findings are as follows:

1) Air filter - it is called for at this mileage. Glad I decided to buy one. I wouldn't want to run it to 24,000 miles.

2) Valves - glad I decided to check them. The exhaust valve clearance specs are .325mm to .375mm. Converted to inches that is roughly .013" to .015". In fact, .015" is ever so slightly larger than the maximum, which is really .01476378". I can fit a .015" feeler gauge under a couple of the exhaust cam lobes with some force, which tells me these valves are on the edge of being too loose. If I really try to force it I can get a .016 feeler gauge under one lobe, but I believe I forced it hard enough to start opening the valve a hair. If I really wanted to make it perfect I would measure the shims and buy the replacements .025 mm smaller (.001") to get the valve clearance into the middle of the spec range, but I don't see the point. A little loose isn't going to hurt anything, so why hassle with it? All intake valves were in spec. The intake valves have a wider clearance range (.004" - .008"), so I'm not surprised by this.

By the way, apparently you are supposed to either remove the throttle cable bracket or move the throttle bodies back to remove the valve cover. I was able to simply push down on the throttle bodies and deflect them a bit to work the cover out of the right side. It took all of an hour to remove all of the trim, gas tank, air box, valve cover, and check all valve clearances. I estimate another half hour to reassemble tomorrow, though I won't do that immediately since I still have other parts of the service to complete.

3) Throttle Body Sync - I know the manual says to do this electronically, and I have the software & cable to do so. But just for fun I'm going to see if there are fittings to hook up a Morgan carb tune and see how close the electronic readings are to actual vacuum measurements.

4) Spark plugs - The service manual says to replace at this mileage. After inspecting them I see no point in replacement and will reinstall them.

8) Drive chain guide - this piece is supposed to be replaced every 6,000 miles. That would be a complete waste of money. I expect it to last about as long as I expect the chain and sprockets to last, and intend to replace all items at the same time.

eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #17317
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:

Did you notice any carbon build up on the valves? As I looked down through the butterflys when I changed the air filter, I noticed some carbon on the valves. I wonder how much is too much?

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #17318
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:

By the way, apparently you are supposed to either remove the throttle cable bracket or move the throttle bodies back to remove the valve cover.
I noticed that in the manual as well. I ended up just taking the throttle cable bracket off using a long philips screwdriver. Worked a treat. Just be careful not to drop the screws.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #17319
Nortonrocks77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Got my Tiger

I am back from my trip to Chattanooga with my new 2013 Tiger. The end up knocking another $400 off my bike because they didn't tell me it wasn't fully financed. So I paid $1000 under MSRP for my new/used Tiger. Good to be back in Indianapolis. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0
Here is a pic.
Nortonrocks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #17320
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
Did you notice any carbon build up on the valves? As I looked down through the butterflys when I changed the air filter, I noticed some carbon on the valves. I wonder how much is too much?
There is some minor accumulation that I'm sure could be cleaned up by using some high quality fuel. For instance, shell nitrogen enriched fuels are pretty reputable for cleaning away deposits over time, whereas "grocery store gas" without a recognized name brand refiner probably contributes to deposits. I should start using shell for a while and see if it gets better over time, but honestly I'm just not worried about it.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #17321
Charrito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeier View Post
Does anyone on hear have a sargent saddle for their Tiger 800? I just bought the low version and have two issues.

1. I can't install the riders seat when both bars under the seat are set to low. The issue is that I can't get both the front and rear bars under the lips at the same time. I've verified that any other bar combination (low, high or high, low) work.

2. The passengers seat latch pin doesn't latch. I've tried pushing down (and almost tipped the bike) and I've verified that nothing is in the way.

Any ideas, thoughts or experiences with this situation and saddle?

Thanks!

Yes...#1 read the instructions. After you're done with that, change the rubber bumpers under the seat.

#2, don't push, tap until you hear the click.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #17322
Bueller
Cashin?

Some final notes about my 12k service -

After going through the bike and doing pretty much everything Triumph recommends, I've come to the conclusion that at least with my usage I could effectively double the mileage interval on most of the recommended items with no ill effects. The items that really needed to be done at the recommended time/mileage on my bike were the air filter, oil & filter, and brake fluid change. The jury's still out on the coolant, which looked fine but I replaced it because it was two years old. The coolant itself is a whole other subject. Triumph recommends an ethylene glycol HOAT coolant. Good luck finding that in the typical auto parts store nowadays. Due to the "coolant confusion" of the '90's and 2000's all of the big name antifreeze peddlers are selling coolant labeled for "all makes, all models, all years" in an effort to capitalize on consumer frustration. Is it really compatible with everything? I don't know, but I bought a jug of Prestone so I suppose I'll find out. It is an ethylene glycol base "extended life" coolant, but has some other chemicals on the label too. Hopefully it will be ok.

The suspension linkage was fine and easily could have made it to the 24k service, but I took it all apart and greased everything anyway as the maintenance schedule indicated. I probably won't touch it again for a very long time.

I will check the valves at 24k again just to see if they've moved at all. If not, I'll probably move to 24k valve check intervals, assuming I would keep the bike long enough to get there.

I haven't priced having the service done at the dealer, but I would imagine if they followed the book and did everything recommended it would be expensive. I took my time today, but when all was said and done had several hours into the job.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #17323
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,636
Road trip mileage

Just got back from a 2500km road trip. Highways and back roads. I was happy with my mileage on the first leg of the trip, 55mpg Imperial, but on the way home today I averaged 62mpg on two tanks of gas, again that's Imperial but thats still 52mpg US and bloody amazing. Speeds were a little higher going out around 130-140km/h and I was going slower coming back around 110-120km/h but this was over several 5-7000' mountain passes on twisty mountain roads so I wasn't taking it easy trying to get good mileage either.

Running the latest tune 653, bone stock.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #17324
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Have anyone installed Universal Mud guard from Touartech? I found OE Triumph one in AU, but shipping is gonna kill the deal.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #17325
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
I will check the valves at 24k again just to see if they've moved at all. If not, I'll probably move to 24k valve check intervals, assuming I would keep the bike long enough to get there.

For what it's worth -- last time I checked the valves on my Tiger (at about 27,000 miles) they were in spec. I'm now at about 39,000 miles and will check them again in the near future, and I expect they'll still be in spec. Bike continues to run great, and I have no doubt it'll continue to for a long time to come.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015

markbvt screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:06 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote