Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Deer poo may be bad, but vulture poo is indescribable... ask me how I know.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Explain to me the logic behind not braking? I've heard that before but can't really fathom why.

Amazing how little damage your fairing took!
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
Explain to me the logic behind not braking? I've heard that before but can't really fathom why.
There's no logic to this. The idea that you'll somehow do less damage to yourself and your bike by not braking is, well, retarded. Because it's impossible to predict what the deer is going to do. It might jump, it might squat and freeze, it might veer off out of your path... Impossible to know.

Brake as hard as you can, don't swerve, stay as upright as possible before impact, and just take the hit if it comes. Bikes and parts can be replaced. Risking extra harm to yourself by not slowing down is just dumb.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
That makes sense to me! Remembered someone told me - while driving, you don't brake so you don't swerve, lose control and crash more.... But the answer to that is to brake like you aren't a moron.... See dear, brake as hard as safely possible. Makes Sense!
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
So that truly is Holy sh*t all over your bike.

I read once that the worst thing to do is brake when a deer gets out in front of you.
Here's what former inmate Ozymandias (RIP) has to say about that:

Quote:
"Two donkeys were on the left side of the road. One looked kind of skittish as I approached. I immediately remembered something from my motorcycle safety course about evading pursuing dogs by speeding up at just the right moment. I also simultaneously realized that this didn’t apply but was feeling a bit aggressive and impatient just then. I ... was just a little impatient to reach Guatemala. So as soon as the idea of accelerating occurred to me, I did it. The donkey, probably alarmed by the sound of the engine, started suddenly into the road, jumping like someone had whipped it. Then just as suddenly it relaxed, casually trotted along, and stopped directly in front of me. A message should have gone from my brain to my right hand and foot, telling them to operate the brakes, but the situation somewhat perplexed me so I didn’t react properly. I have zero experience with donkeys so to me this was almost as bizarre as if it had been a hippopotamus. “A donkey?” That is what my brain said. “Donkey?!”
So instead of braking I tried to go around him to the right but his head was just about to the edge of the road and there was a ditch for a shoulder. This all happened in a matter of seconds. The vivid detail with which I remember these last moments is quite pronounced in my mind. (snip)
To digress for a moment, here’s my advice for those who conduct motorcycle safety courses and write the books that go along with them. Include somewhere the following sentence. “If you see an animal on the side of the road ahead of you, slow down immediately.” (snip)

Whatever the case may be I can say with some confidence that if I had read that precise sentence in my safety manual my brain, instead of going to the file about evading menacing dogs, would have pulled the file concerning animals on the side of the road. The idea “brake” would then have suggested itself instead “accelerate”, and I might just be happy and having the time of my life studying law in Venice right now, with wine and gondolas and pretty girls."

Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
So deer only poop when they suffer a mortal wound?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
KicknGravel
Lurker turned nOOb

Oddometer: 15
Wicked Scary

I don't think there is anything more terrifying than seeing a deer or elk cross your path. Eyes peeled and be safe out there.
KicknGravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
Here's what former inmate Ozymandias (RIP) has to say about that:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
fastredbike
ready to go

Oddometer: 482
I just took a ride down your way, from New York to Tennessee I must have seen a dozen road-killed deer. I had no idea there were so many.

Coming back I saw two standing in the grass beside the NY Expressway about 2 miles from the Tappan Zee bridge - in the middle of the day on Sunday with a million cars whizzing by... jeez, somebody oughta do something...
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
So deer only poop when they suffer a mortal wound?
This is deershit. A couple of years ago I narrowly missed a deer on my BMW, when I say narrowly I mean all I saw was a brown flash. This happened right down the street from my house. When I got home the bike was covered with deershit. It happens when they are scared and stressed. If the deer didn't even crack the fairing most likely I lived to see another day.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Amazing save to send one flying like that and walk away with such minor consequences. He probably was mid-leap over you when clipped him, sending him spinning.

I've hit three while riding.... four more while driving, 4 of the 7 strikes the dumb shit ran into the side of me/my vehicle. Some guy here posted a pix of a huge deer strike dent in the side of his hood......... on his LAWN TRACTOR!

Infested around here and deer are by far my greatest fear in terms of death, injury and health (ticks and Lyme too). My favorite time of year to ride is actually winter since, with the foliage down off the trees, you stand half a chance of seeing the dumb forest kamikazes coming.

I invited a couple of bow hunters to my property last fall/winter - they took five and I got to learn a little field dressing/butchering too. I'm becoming afraid to ride during rut season (all my strikes were around then) so I might as learn to hunt them.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #27
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Yesterday morning, riding thru the White Mountains in NH, it's 6 am and I'm on Rt 16 doing @ 60mph. Super paranoid about hitting a deer or moose, my eyes constantly scanning both sides of the road for any wandering beasts and WHAM!! A freaking crow pops out from behind a concrete barrier and explodes on my front fender. It happened in a split second and surprised the $hit out of me.

I really feel for the guys who have hit deer... You just never know when you head out on a bike. Ride safe out there!
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Relaxed

The restrictions of deer hunting, need to be relaxed, much more!
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #29
rhafe123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hit a deer with my car the other day or,

rather, he ran into me. Now I'm paranoid to ride my motorcycle. Thinking about selling it. Saw two big ones about half a mile from my house on the way to work on the bike this morning.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,530
I remember breaking hard but when I realized that this was gonna hurt, I opened it up. When in doubt...... blowing through it I think is what saved me from going down

Still trips me out to this day when I think about it though. Things definatly could of went a whole different way.

Divorce Sale
merickk is offline   Reply With Quote