User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Aurora Rally Equipment - Roadbook Holder

Welcome to Aurora Rally Equipment (www.aurora-rally.com)

Who We Are:
My name is Dimitri and some of you have been following my venture in building a new generation of rally roadbooks in the rally navigation bracket photo thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684282). Last year we started from scratch designing a new generation of roadbook holder and with the help of other inmates we are now in position to say that the design and testing has been completed and we are putting the finishing touches for this innovative device.

Why even care for this roadbook when there are so many others out there, proven in the rally racing field? Well, if you want to know, read below and then follow the link for a teaser video, technical stuff etc....

Feel free to ask anything technical about the unit, details and such, either here or by e-mail in the addresses shown on the website.

Before mentioning the features, we would like to express our appreciation to those inmates who helped in completing this development either with their ideas or with supplying parts, we are heavily in debt to Paul (TheAntiPaul) and without his nav tower this would have taken a lot longer. More info for whom when and what, can be found on the website under the ''Special thanks to:'' tab

Mk I (its name... ) , among others, will have:

Removable interior. You can take the interior of the unit out, change rolls and place it back in. In addition to that, you can use it as an autonomous manual roadbook outside of the main shell! In case of a two stage day for example, the shafts are completely removable so that you can carry a spare shaft with you, take out the cartridge, load the second stage shaft and off you go! And all that in a matter of seconds!

Rare earth magnetic transmission for smooth scrolling which can take axial and angular misalignment. Transmission will always self align so that you do not have to take any special care while taking out or sliding in the removable cartridge. In the event of an accident and if the hit is very violent there is an air gap which can take the axial, radial and angular misalignment should they occur.

Up to 50mm paper roll. Using the detachable paper shafts you can now load up to 19m of A5 (92 pages). And if you feel that this is not enough, you can always carry spare shafts with you and load a new shaft in a matter of seconds! In addition, because the paper is rolled by hand (and you can tight it as match as possible), twice the information can be fed in this roadbook compared to others.

Efficient transmission means that this roadbook will operate effortlessly, even for rallies such as Tuareg (where the roadbook is rolled top to bottom), without the need for manual assistance. Going forward or rewind this roadbook will operate from the start till the end of the race!

Special o-rings, guaranteed for life. No more transmission failures. Safer navigation throughout the entire life of the roadbook! We are so confident that these o-rings will stay intact, that we will give you a life guarantee.

Unbreakable shell. Thin Aluminium shells are light, but they deform permanently in the event of a crash taking all sorts of parts with them. Mark I is the only roadbook with a tested, unbreakable shell. Combined with a transmission which can take axial misalignment you have a 'bomb proof' unit!

Paper Support. How many times you had to write your personal notes outside of the roadbook with the rolls all over the place? Well, not any more. The cartridge features a special paper support so that you can write your own notes when you have it outside of the unit. After finishing you just slide it in and you are ready to go!

Hybrid bearings. Rubber sealed, stainless steel outer races, combined with ceramic Silicon Carbide balls. Sealed for life they will never fail as ceramic balls can even run dry. Rolling smoothness is guaranteed.

High performance motor. Although motor failures are not common in roadbook holders we went a step further. The motor used rare earth magnets to increase its torque (while maintaining its small size), it is equipped with a stainless steel shaft and it is rated for up to 600 continuous hours!

Choice of LED colours. You can now match ICO, IMO and RNS products by choosing the LED colour for your unit.

Easy maintenance. While the cartridge is out you can service/clean all the parts of the roadbook easier and safer. Taking the cartridge apart is very easy if you want to upgrade internal parts (Full ceramic bearings for example) or if you just want to clean it. Even if both paper shafts have bent due to an accident, they can be replaced straight away without the need of any tools on the roadside in less than a minute.

Industrial cable glands and IP67 connectors. Waterproof connectors to ensure that water, sand and dust stay out of Mark I. The unit will be completely waterproof.

Read more in www.aurora-rally.com

If you need more info and looking to pre-order sent us and e-mail to preorders@aurora-rally.com or if you would like to become a member of our test team send us and e-mail to testers@aurora-rally.com and someone will contact you with details of what and when. If, on the other hand, you are looking for brochures or just more info, info@aurora-rally.com is your email address.

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 06:31 PM
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Price range?
txbear55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,119
Congrats on getting the project finished up and bringing a product to market.

Can't wait to see them in use.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Muecke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Amazing! :)
do you have first real fotos?

If you need a reseller in Germany, please contact me.
Congrates to you Dimitri. :)
Muecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Hi txbear55, appreciate the interest.
Unfortunatelly we do not have a fixed price yet, we will have a definite answer at the end of this month so please bear with us for a couple of weeks. I would not want to say something today and take it back at the end of June because the suppliers change their minds so a little patience here is appreciated....

Paul thanks for the support, coming from you it means the world to us!

Muecke, thanks for the congrats, we do have photos of the latest prototype which is what you see in the video and I will upload these as we go along.

Let me start by uploading a little history about this project and after a week (or so... ) of uploading we will reach the today's date

Below you can see a wooden part, in the beginning we started by doing all parts out of wood in order to check geometry and size.

We quickly moved to Aluminium... Here you can see the transmission detail of our first prototype, back in Dec 2012.

In the next photo you can see a motor controller. With this programmable unit we can write programs to simulate races. So we can leave the motor running to measure its life in working hours. The hole assembly was enclosed in a box to raise the motor themperature to 60 deg C.

Here you can see the very first version of the cartridge. This would hold up to 60mm rolls

And now of to the cartridge with the magnetic transmission. Normal o-rings back then, until we foundthat the obvious, that they suffer failures

We went through lots of trials and error test in order to find the best combination of materials, parts and design. Notice the hammer, always helpful when things go wrong

Here is the CNC laser at work. Having such an equipment in house is really a lot of help as you can make changes almost on the fly.

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 05:17 PM
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
stabak
n00b

Oddometer: 1
good luck Dimitri and all the best, a new kid on the block is always promising news
stabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,762
Looking like a revolution in roadbook equipment! I'm looking foward to seeing the real thing in action.

Not that I ever plan to dump the bike in a river to the extent that I wish the road-book was waterproof, but I consider that as a great feature. I also love the promise of ability to hold more scroll without the usual problems of load binding the motor. This will be useful in the Australian Safari for one, as there are normally two, and sometimes three, scrolls each day. You then have to change the scroll in a short interval at the same time as trying to eat as much food as you can and the service crew are trying to fill the fuel tanks you're hovering over. This is also where the removable cartridge design will be useful.

Like I said, I can't wait to see it for real.
Best of luck with it. (As we all know, the harder we work the better the luck - and it looks like you've done some hard yards to get to this point).
Cheers
JayBo
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Hi Jay,

Indeed in rallies where there are more than one scrolls per day, the detachable shafts come pretty handy. You can always carry spares with you and change them in refuelling stations or if the size allows it you can fit two or three scrolls inside.

There will be a manual with graphs showing a good approximation of roll diameter against pages/number of tulips. So, if your roadbook is numbered (page numbers are most of the time present) you can get a very good estimate of the roll diameter, therefore you can plan ahead.

We updated the site and now there is a Gallery (http://aurora-rally.com/Galleryuk1.html) and you can scroll down the gallery button to find more photos and a Video from testing the unit back in May. More videos will be uploaded soon, so you can understand the unique features this rb holder has.

The unit you see below is one of the latest prototypes, were most the development was carried out. Soon you will see the newest version tha we are running which is very close to what you see in the videos.

The menu also has been changed and a ''News'' tab was added to inform people about our progress and site updates.

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:05 PM
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
I can not wait to recive my new Roadbook !!!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Thanks BajaDad,
We prioritise for the test riders at the moment so you will get yours soon, indeed!

A small site update with some minor changes in the Video area, where now you can choose the quality of the test video based on you connection.

All the social media links are online since yesterday, so you can now follow us for the latest news on

Twiiter - @AuroraRally

Youtube - Aurora Rally channel

and Flickr Flickr photos and videos

Instagram will be online later today.

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 03:11 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Simply:

WOW!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Hi all,

A small update so you can visually see what the parts of Mk I are and how the patented removable cartridge/shafts work.

Full zirconia ball bearings. These bearings will be added as an option. They have the ability to run completely dry for life and the friction factor is way smaller than that of steel bearings. The big advantage is that even if dirt gets inside these bearings, you can wash them using water or alcohol and they are good to go!.

1Nm Torque wrench for the magnetic transmission testing

O-rings. Special o-rings mean no more o-ring failures!

Standard A5 - 150mm side scrolls were used to make sure that Mk I operated during different scroll diameters.

Now let us show you how the cartridge approach works.

Step 1 - Take the cartridge out of the unit.

Step 2 - Roll the paper onto an empty shaft. Make sure you tight it as much as possible to increase the information/roll diameter.

Step 3 - Put the shafts onto the cartridge.

Step 4 - Turn the cartridge upside down to fasten the paper onto the empty (driving) shaft.

Step 5 - Turn the cartridge right side up.

Step 6 - Turn the driving shaft a couple of times to ensure good paper adhesion.

Step 7 - Put the cartridge back into Mk I. Transmission will self align without the need of any user input. You just slide it in and you can start using it.

Step 8 - Cover on and off you go !!

Another addition for organisers who run the course beforehand in order to create the roadbooks. The main window is removable so the rider can write notes without the need of taking the cover out every time he stops. And because of the paper support there is no possibility of damage to the paper while writing.

Once the race is over, or during multi stage days, you can swap shaft in a matter of seconds. You just repeat the above process and you carry a spare, pre loaded, shaft with you.

Details of different parts.
Motor connectors.

Motor stress test controller detail.

Magnetic bearings.

The power of magnets!

Transmission test parts.

Let me know if you need any more information,
Till later
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 08:53 AM
Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

It is now official, Mk I will be launched in Serres Rally 2013 which takes place between 26th and 31st!
On Monday the 1st of July the price and the exact specifications of Mk I will be announced as well.

Read more:
Press release

Till later,
D.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
This is one of the nicest and well thought out products I have seen in quite some time!

Very well done!!

I really like how frank you have been on the testing/prototype phase..........mainly admitting to needing a hammer during testing!!

Cheers
Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Many thanks for the comments Droptarotter,

Below you can see the transmission test. Mk I's internals allow it to move axially, radially and at an angle in the event of a crash so that the roadbook holder continues to function even if the internals have moved out of position. This feature allows Mk I to have far more greater chances of surviving a heavy hit. Magnetic transmission is tweaked so that +ve and -ve misalignment (angular, axial and radial) are handled without a problem.

For this demo, a 50mm scroll was used.

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 12:18 AM