Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #31
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,010
Some good (quiet!) sleep last night, and all ready to conquer today. Well be doing Union Springs in both directions, as well as, a scouting run to Second Mountain. Have a good ride today everyone!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #32
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Some Day 1 Vids from yesterday:

EOD3MC calls ditch!

Not exciting vid, but sound is funny:

EOD3MC can't seem to keep that front end down!

Conquering the hill climb
Old 06-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,920
looks like fun
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Humvees, Bears and Coons Oh My!

Today, we got 140 miles done. Union Springs both directions, Dunkle Hollow, Westside, Camp Run, German River, Vepco to Long Run. We had intended to trot down Second Mountain, but decided that starting it as the last dirt of a very long day was probably not the best move.

So, we've plotted a nice 80 miles to do in the morning before we load out.

The "best" ditch call for the day though goes to the Military convoy we were following as we traversed RT33. The driver wasn't paying enough attention (probably due to the boring speed), and kept putting the wheels on the shoulder. Well, just as we crested the mountain, he makes a sharp turn into the mountain. Next thing drops the right rear tire into the ditch, and damn near flips it as he comes out.

Somehow, we missed the actual events, but have some vid of the vehicle dog tracking after the incident. It's clearly broken some (expensive) kit and going to need a tow back to base.

Weather was perfecto, high 50s to low 80s.

Will be cutting vid later.

Got some vid of a trio of adolescent raccoons, a bear and of course the Humvee

Dorito screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 02:56 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #35
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

The after effects of calling "ditch"

Husky's First Blood
Somehow, Blaster had his camera on and no SD card, and EOD3MC was filming! But we did catch this.

Good thing Blaster turns the camera off and not "on" when he sees these juvenile Raccoons
>

Dorito screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 02:21 AM
Old 06-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #36
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

We did some new line scouting on Union Springs. EOD3MC takes the hard line

Blaster practicing lofting the bike

EOD3MC..think Fly Dave, not wheelie Dave

Water XCings everywhere yesterday
Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #37
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Some more Day 2 Photos:

Husky Photo op:

Here's a photo taken about 1 year apart:
Then:

Now:

This guy wouldn't stop getting on the camera, so here's his mugshot:

Neat old tractor:

You might be a redneck when...or you happen to have spare jointed mannequin

Stopped by an inmates house, but all we got was a belly rub:

Still more vid that needs to be edited...

Dorito screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 02:47 AM
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,050
Great thread inmates. Now I know why Bruce got the Husky... Breakdowns are a bitch. Safe travels and hopefully once I'm home for more than a couple weeks we can make a run for sushi or Starbucks.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #39
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

In which we finally conquer Second Mountain Trail

Sundays are always a hustle and bustle of activity. There is the over-whelming urge to suck up every last bit of great dirt time, and yet the need to get back home. It's probably a bad choice to try a really challenging new trail, when you somewhat time constrained. But you see, Second Moutain Trail had been taunting us for the better part of the last 8 or so months. Never seemed to have enough time, daylight, will power, or horsepower to go. Until today.

Like the previous time, everyone was up before first light of day. We had saddled up and were on the move by 0650. While the air was brisk, it was a nice relaxing morning. We slabbed over to the base of Second Mountain Trail on RT33. As soon as you exit RT33, you are within 100 ft of some road sign which state "not a thru road". Curious, I review the GPS track, and it shows a forest road designator. While I might agree given its' ominous reputation of steepness, it is not a rental car thru road, it is in fact a road.

The more we looked at the signs, the more we played "what's wrong here". The road signs are not mounted in typical DOT fashion (e.g height/study pole), nor do they contain the DOT verbiage. Someone has added the word "thru" in red marker. In fact the more you gaze at the signs, the more one realizes the signs have been stolen from some other location.

As we press on, the road gets markedly steeper and more rutted as it passes through the few homes speckling the area. Then, the homes stop. There is a forestry type gate that we pass, which is in horrible disrepair. And with that, the game is on. The trail goes quite steep and rocky for the first mile or so. There are some notable rock outcroppings, but what appears to be multiple rideable lines. I believe the entire track is 7-8 miles. The first 1 miles is very steep, miles 2-4 have some water holes and larger rocks, and the last 5-8 miles is quite easy.

I would say it's probably very comparable to Union Springs in technicality. No carnage on our little bikes , probably doable (but not much fun) on a big bike with a competent rider that can place a wheel/stick a line. We did pass a sign a for the Dictum Ridge Trail. It stated something to the effect "Advanced ATV riders only beyond this point". Maybe next time when we have more time to scout we'll go for a lap on that one too.

More later...

Dorito screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 03:38 PM
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #40
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

I would have thought a few days riding and few hundred miles would have calmed the village idiots. Nope, they were at their antics all.day.long

Dorito screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:34 PM
Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #41
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Here's a clip of the lower 1 mile of Second Mtn, which is the most challenging section of the track.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #42
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,636
Not many pictures and Dorito is much better at this video editing stuff, but here is what I got..

Though I live on a fairly quite street, i'm apparently getting too complacent. On Friday morning, I had the bike and gear staged in driveway waiting on my ride. Sitting in the family room I hear what I assume is the neighbor starting his lawnmower. a few minutes later the door bell rings...now the dogs start barking. Great they're here. But when I look outside I see my bike is already on the trailer and my gear is already in the truck... I need to get better dogs

Arrived on Friday at our favorite home away from home Sugar Grove Naval Information Center. Trailered the small bikes in for bit of hooligan antics on the local forest roads and trails

Thought we might be walking into a weekend of bad Karma when I noticed the odometer on the DRZ

Rode all afternoon Friday (about 145 miles)(easy roads at a good pace), All day Saturday (another 145 miles, much more technical trails, slower pace) and a quick little ride Sunday morning (about 80 miles, half pavement, half technical off road)

Over all, great weekend....Love the DRZ , it didn't care what we threw at it, just kept right on going

Got this shot on German River rd...one of my favorite roads

EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #43
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Though I live on a fairly quite street, i'm apparently getting too complacent. On Friday morning, I had the bike and gear staged in driveway waiting on my ride. Sitting in the family room I hear what I assume is the neighbor starting his lawnmower. a few minutes later the door bell rings...now the dogs start barking. Great they're here. But when I look outside I see my bike is already on the trailer and my gear is already in the truck... I need to get better dogs ]
Now the "real" version. We arrive a bit early and see a bike sitting lonely on the driveway. As we walk up, we notice the key is in the ignition. Great, why ring the house door bell? This rig has built-in-door bell or two. So we flip the ignition and give a few (pathetic honks) of the horn. Apparently, the horn hasn't been the same since it snorkeled some water at an "unknown" water XC.

Surprised that nobody magically appeared to protect their much loved bike, we do the next best thing. We fire it up. Nope, ain't nobody going to come save this steed. Then we start walking it towards the trailer (still running) and give it a few good revs. Nope still nobody.

Fine, we are now at the base of the trailer. Ain't nothing left to do but load it up and go ring the house door bell We are hopeful that he has a really good story why he didn't save his bike (like he was on the porcelain thrown running down the hall with one pant leg or something).

Dorito screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 04:42 AM
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Village Idiots

Do you remember Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr Suess?

This vid demonstrates the dangers of adding water to your village idiot!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #45
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,636
That would have been much better from a chase bike perspective

But fun as hell either way

EOD3MC screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 04:35 PM
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote