User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Panama Day Ride Part 1

Last Thursday and Friday I had meetings in Panama and one of my work colleagues gave me a heads up that BMW Motorrad Adventures has a new partner in Panama City: Moto Tour Panama. The good folks at Moto Tour are based within the very nice offices of BMW's Panama Importer, Bavarian Motors. They offer several multiday tours across the country, but I just had Saturday available for a ride and they were great about setting me up with a bike (800GS) and guide for the day to head for Valle de Anton and its surrounding area. Anton is a town within the crater of a former volcano. They also accommodated a friend of mine who moved to Panama last year and had his own bike (a new Super Tenere).

Our guide, Ricardo Conte was at Bavarian Motors at 8:30 and one of the Moto Tour owners, Francis Cover, stopped by to say hi before we headed out just past 9am. Moto Tour is a well organized & friendly outfit. BTW their policy is to replace their bikes every 2 years max and my GS had just under 10K Kms on it...it was nearly new.

Saturday morning was wet in Panama City. We sliced through traffic and after crossing the bridge across the Panama Canal we found ourselves picking up speed on the four lane Pan American highway heading west along the coast as the rain dissipated. Past Coronado beach we made a right hand turn and headed for the hills to Valle de Anton on a winding two lane local road. At Anton we stopped at the local market:

From the market we headed north to a local waterfall...a bit touristy but what the heck:

After the waterfall we headed north, stopping at a crest where we could take in the Valley below:

sjp3003 screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 09:46 PM Reason: Fixed typos
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Panama Day Ride Part 2

From the crest we could see the curves that awaited to the north:

After a a few gravelly patches we found sinewy roads that led us to a remote eco tourism spa where we had lunch:

After a healthy lunch we headed south, back towards the Panamerican Highway to return to Panama City. If this link works (fingers crossed) , this video gives an idea of the riding conditions on the Pan American Highway leading to the city. I'll be posting more interesting video from the curvy bits once they are uploaded to my Dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Ride%202b.mp4

Before cruising into the city, we clambered up a muddy hill to take in a view of the Panama Canal:

All in all a fun day of riding in the tropics.

sjp3003 screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 09:08 PM
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote