Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
I definitely get anxious, but I have never owned a car for the last 20 years. I only drive a couple times a year so my skills just arnt there compared to on a bike. I am way overcaustious.

I find myself trying to cover brakes which you cant really do in a car without being jerky. Most people hate driving with me
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #17
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,051
I do get anxious. Traffic freaks me out. I know how to handle it, I am a good driver, but the street is not the track and the strategies I would use to handle traffic on the track do not work on the street. I do not get bothered by the size of my car - I drive a very low Golf III. It is not exactly huge. It is very slow (TDi), but so is my bike.

If I lived somewhere where there was no ice, I would seriously consider giving up driving and only using the cars for track work.

The bike alleviates all of the issues because of manoeverability and visual field. For me, it is like being on the track, only with traffic signals. So like driving on the Nordschleife.....

Like GoUglyEarly, I mitigate by driving stick and riding whenever possible. I leave early, keep my eye on Google traffic, and remind myself that whatever I am headed to is still going to be there. Having live traffic on the phone or navi helps me a lot.

Of course, if I was on the bike.....
Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
Ironfish653
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 61
I get impatient, too. My 4-wheeler is a Honda Element, and while the visibility is good, I miss the power-to-weight ratio on the bike. My Wee has ~1/3 the hp of the car, but 10% of the weight. Plus it's only as wide as the handle bars.

The biggest thing I did after long bike-only stretches was clipping curbs with the right rear wheel. Now I have to take a few minutes when ever I start driving the car to re-calibrate for the size of the vehicle.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
great post

A year ago when I got my first "real" bike, I went all in.

Committed to giving up the truck for six months. Figured that would ramp up my skills the fastest and make the bike pay for itself with gas and time savings. And I actually pulled it off-used bike for commuting, errands, gym, meeting clients, meeting friends out, everything. All in.

When I got back in the cage it was weird. Awful actually. No lane splitting, stuck in traffic, no more instant parking, can't see anything, etc. I didn't panic, but just realized how much cages suck when you live in a congested, urban, gridlocked area.

Why don't more people use motorcycles as car replacements? Especially in cities, especially in Socal.

Tomorrow, June 17th, is RIDE TO WORK DAY. Do it!
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 458
I got in a car and drove for the first time since getting my bike a month ago. Freaked me out a little bit that I had such ridiculous blind spots, also, didn't have a real strong sense of what was going on around me.

Oh, and I got a speeding ticket. Cars suck.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
The blind spots get me. I feel like i'm going to merge into someone because i can't see shit. Drive like a grandma because the car has absolutely no power compared to the bike. Not even worth the wasted gas of trying to accelerate.

My bike blew a radiator at deals gap last year and a guy gave me a ride to Robbinsville in his truck to get some JB weld. I almost threw up at the first corner. That was a nerve racking ride.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 789
I won't go as far as to say I get panic attacks when I drive a "cage" after using the bike 95% of the time.

I do get a little uncomfortable and I more or less refuse to drive my wife's car unless for some reason I have to. Feel really closed in and like I can't see anything.

In my truck, I feel like I'm taking up the entire road and can't fit anywhere. Takes me 10 minutes or so of driving to get readjusted to driving it. When I get back on the bike I almost let out a sigh of relief because I'm out in the open again.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,934
What the fuck is wrong with you guys?

You can learn how to ride safely but you can't handle driving safely?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 789
Just get used to different vehicles.

When I spent 99% of my driving time driving a CMV, I experienced the same thing when I was home and drove smaller vehciles. I'd drive my pickup like it was a 65 foot long combination vehicle until I got my brain back into "4 wheeler" mode. Didn't operate unsafely at all, just did silly things like take turns wider than I needed to and would reach for a shifter that wasn't there. Oh, also felt like my ass was dragging on the pavement. In the wife's car it was as if I was going down the highway sitting on a skateboard.

Simple psychological conditioning. Brain gets accustomed to a particular environment and when that environment changes it takes a few minutes to readjust. Or, in the case of my wife's car I just plain hate driving it because the visibility out of the windows is horrible. Dodge Intrepids suck.

ShardPhoenix screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 02:58 PM
ShardPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
No car/truck since 1990. I do drive friends cars now and then. But as a passenger when friends drive, man, do I notice how bad their driving is. It doesn't do any good to tell them either, I have, but they just keep it up. I know 2 of them will have a certain kind of accident, hopefully when I'm not with them. Crass to say, but they are not taking any advice - what can you do?

As far as traffic and locus of control issues: Last week coming back from a hike the traffic got (predictably) bad on the freeway, stop and go. The same driver and spouse as above driver decide surface streets, up into the hills and back down. Very clever they think. I know, know, it will take 40 minutes vs 15 minutes, even on the clogged highway. They will not have it. Off we go. Half way in the hills the driver says "shit, I'm running out of gas (to make it better, its diesel). "I only have 2 miles left". No good to tell them, hey, we just climbed a big hill/mountain, its calculating off of that. What do they do? They cut short their short cut and, to them, barely make into town and then spend 15 minutes looking for diesel - all the while the computer is saying 4,5,7 miles left, counting up. Total time for "I beat the (15 minute) traffic jam": 1 hour.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
rob30
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
I have spent about 90% of my time on the bike and only about 10% on the bike.
Not sure I understand this...
rob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30 View Post
Not sure I understand this...
The other bike?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
I got in a car and drove for the first time since getting my bike a month ago. Freaked me out a little bit that I had such ridiculous blind spots, also, didn't have a real strong sense of what was going on around me.

Oh, and I got a speeding ticket. Cars suck.
I think when you first get a bike, you're "hyper aware" of what's going on around you, so the differences of getting back into a car are even more pronounced than they would be for a more experienced rider. At least that was my experience.

Besides the ridiculous blind spots, like someone else mentioned here, I don't even bother to accelerate the truck much to get it up to speed. Once you get used to a motorcycle, it's kind of like, what's the point?
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote