Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
millahtime OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I don't golf, bowl, sail or play poker, I ride.

and been riding for 44 years now.

Dad, for whatever reason you brought that step thru ct-90 home for me one day.

Thanks!

I've been smiling inside my helmet the whole time.

Hope they have your lucky strikes in heaven and sometime this weekend I'll have a Budweiser for you!

p.s. thx for not kicking my ass, that time in'73 when i asked you out to the backyard.

Happy Father's day Dad

millahtime screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 05:20 PM Reason: pic addage...
millahtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Mine dragged me to the old shed. You know, the one that had every childhood monster you can imagine in it.
Well, what it had was his old '48 HD. It was in some kinda sad shape after sitting in there some 20 odd years. We rebuilt it and when he sold it I got a street legal ride out of the deal.
He created a monster. 35 years, a little over a million miles, one wreck, and a happy pillion later here we are. I wish he was still around to ride.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by millahtime View Post
p.s. thx for not kicking my ass, that time in'73 when i asked you out to the backyard.

Happy Father's day Dad
]
Ha ha good times.

Thanks dad for not kicking my ass when the cops brought me home that day in 1975 - and gave YOU the ticket for allowing a minor to drive a registered vehicle (your bike) on the highway.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
okennon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
You guys are making my eyes water

Wow dad...thanks for the old Cushman. It's amazing how those little things will define our later years. My brother would break things and I'd fix 'em, decorate them and soup them up. 50 years later I still do.
Thanks dad
okennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
He made me work to buy the rest, to teach me the value of $$.

This he surprised me with one day and got the whole ball rolling.

Funny thing is; he was never really a big bike/car guy. Love ya dad thanks for everything!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
My old man wasn't a car or bike guy, but the parents got me a new CT-70 in 1971 or so, and it hasn't stopped yet. Thanks Pop.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
trasbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
This guy brought home several boxes one day, around 1969 or so. There was a Yamaha 80cc in there somewhere. Fixing that pile into something resembling a motorcycle was the best way to show me that you had to work to get something. Also developed whatever wrenching skills I may have. Dad died just over a year ago. Father's day not so easy yet, but memories are a wonderful thing.

trasbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Thanks Dad in 1964 you gave me a Honda Trail 70. Followed by a 175 Scrambler, 305 Scrambler, Suzuki X-6 and all the other great bikes that have led me to over 40 years of riding. And am now riding a BMW R1200GS, riding that brand for over 30 years.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 333
Mine was a Rupp Sprint

3.5 Hp of pain-in-the-ass-to-start back in 70 or so but it was FUN to Ride!!.I was the only one of his seven kids with a Motorhead, but he saw it me. years later it was a CJ5. He Knew.. Thanks Dad! Happy Fathers day!!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
mitchapalooza
Rider is Air-cooled

Oddometer: 103

The only picture that exists of my dad in his hippy phase, riding his 1973 (I think) tiger.

He always defended me from my mother on the topic of motorcycles. He also made the rule that if I were to ride something, it better have soul. Cheers, dad.
mitchapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,049
I was into cars ever since I could crawl and push one along the floor.

My father always had a thing for motorcycles. His father always had one on the farm, the last being a Matchless that was still there when he died and they auctioned everything off. Dad probably would have kept it, but it was a "ass backwards" English bike with reversed controls he could never get used to. He didn't have a bike of his own after getting married until I was probably around seven or eight.

I wanted a go-kart in the worst way but there wasn't anywhere for me to ride one. Instead, he bought me a Tecumseh powered mini bike that failed to start more than it did. Dumped that for a well-used Honda Trail 50. Around the same time he bought a brand new Honda CT-90. Got a Holsclaw 3 rail trailer and would tow the bikes up to our hunting camp so we could ride the dirt roads together.

When I got to be about 14 or 15 I was given free reign on the Trail 90. The intention was that I would ride it on a few of the dirt roads around our trailer. What actually happened was I rode that thing for hours in ever widening circles, including paved roads. No license. No gear, other than a helmet. Incredibly, I don't ever recall dropping the thing, and I picked up valuable gravel riding skills.

Once I got my license it was all about cars for me. Dad graduated to a CB360 and later bought a new CX550. It wound up sitting in the garage a lot and he sold it and gave up riding because of problems with his throttle wrist.

My father and I were wildly different people (I was adopted, which was some of it) and didn't get along that well as I got older. He was in a assisted living facility by the time my interest in bikes renewed a few years ago and I bought my KLR. It was one of the few topics of attempted conversation that really got him interested. He died last year before I got the Wee Strom, a bike he would have been very impressed with.

My childhood memories with my father are few. He was a distant and detached figure and we didn't do much together. But the one happy memory and gift he passed along was the joy of motorcycling.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
I dun used ta play all them sportz when I wuz a wee lad, but the 1st time I threw a leg over mah bro's doodle bug, (In '68) it wuz all over.
Thanks fer continuing the addiction w/ the CL175 Pa!

(Dunno wut yer so happy 'bout, ya dun just married yer sister! )
Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,069
Damn! Great thread! Helps me feel better about my motor head addiction (I couldn't give flying rat's ass about ANY stick & ball sport)
I remember my Grandfather saying (about my Dad) "He's got gasoline in his blood!" Dad rigged a 3/4hp Briggs washing machine engine on his bicycle at 10yo, felt the need for speed all his life.
Thanks Dad, for taking time explain HOW stuff works, fix stuff, and be safety aware as we rip it up! Your lessons have served me well.

concours screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 02:54 PM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I don't smoke, drink or play the lottery. So I have little reason to go inside a "convenience store". What was this thread about?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote