Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #481
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmo View Post
added a rad guard - totally must have if you are going even close to the small gravel on the roads - the radiator looks totally unprotected (shame on you, kawasaki!)

added Trax aluminium cases (2x45L) - these are using the quick-lock sw-motech.

also added heated grips (what kawasaki is offering) and they saved my hands several times - maybe i should also add handprotectors

generally i spent ~19000 km in 2012 on my Versys 1000 and i am totally happy with the bike
Sure agree on the exposed radiator. Been using some old soft saddlebags, but think I'll go with the same cases you've got. Going to add barkbusters for wind protection, but probably not heated grips. Up here, by the time you need heated grips it's going to be winter so quickly there's not much cold weather riding to be had. Still waiting for spring....
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #482
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
For my fellow Canadians and Europeans: Hows does it compare to the DL1000?

What I saw online was a match with the tiger and not the DL1000
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #483
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 174
Let's revive this thread!

I know it's not an off-road worthy bike, so there are other forums more fit for it but, I'll let you know my experience.

I have a 650 Versys 2010 and have been thinking of upgrading it. That said, I have test-driven most of the newer bikes out there. I've driven the Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, the Honda Crosstourer for 212km, the new WC BMW R1200GS, the Aprilia Caponord 1200, the KTM 1190 Adventure and lastly the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

Well, much for my surprise, it was the kawi that made my heart race!!! Sure, all other bikes were pretty dam good, sure, I loved testing them but, if they all were priced the same (or if price didn't matter) I'd pick the Versys 1000. It was the onçly I finished the test-drive saying: "It'll be my next bike".

Why you might ask? Well, to each it's own, and you probably don't share the same view, but that motor is SWEET. It has an amazing torque, pulling from low revs all the way up, making you grin along the way! It corners pretty dam well and, for a newb like me, the suspensions were spot on! Confort was superb, wind protection was par to the BMW and it's fuel range is adequate (KTM's better but after 350km I think I deserve a break)

Being that, in Portugal, the Versys 1000 is, at least, 3.000€ cheaper than the others (KTM, HONDA and APRILIA) and a whooping 8.000€ cheaper than the BMW, my choice is pretty obvious.

From the others... Moto Guzzi Norge is a sweet ride, a true tourer, but it's a little out-dated, Honda Crosstourer I just felt... BIG (being 1.70m) and HEAVY, Aprilia Caponord 1200 was really nice ride but it sure eats up gas and it was made to a price point (buttons felt cheap, plastic covers flimsy), BMW R1200GS is really well made and it's a torque monster, probably the best bike of the bunch but way too expensive, and too jerky, kawasaki's I-4 is just smoother (though I was really impressed with the progress they made regarding this new version). KTM's 1190 is a hell of a machine, but with a sport driven engine I felt like I had to pull it too up the revs to awake him. The way kawasaki's gears are done, you have all the power you need lower in the rev range than even the KTM's 2-V.

Well, let's see some photos of your's

I'll give you 1 of each test-drive ;D

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #484
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Just bought on so Ill keep it living a little

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Old 06-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #485
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
I'm waiting for the 1000 to sit another year or so, then I'm jumping on it. I got an amazing deal on my versys because it was sitting. I expect the same thing with the 1000. What a sweet bike. Here all anybody rides are chromed up cruisers. Not bad ass touring bikes.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #486
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
I'm waiting for the 1000 to sit another year or so, then I'm jumping on it. I got an amazing deal on my versys because it was sitting. I expect the same thing with the 1000. What a sweet bike. Here all anybody rides are chromed up cruisers. Not bad ass touring bikes.

Yep I got 4300$ off sticker for a leftover 2012.

2012 Versys 1000
Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #487
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Yep I got 4300$ off sticker for a leftover 2012.
That is another reason I am a huge kawasaki nut. The local dealer. I get 20% off all parts, and get amazing deals on product. Got my klr for 4899 on the road, and my versys for 6899 on the road.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #488
aquadog
Dude Buddha

My care parcel arrived from A Vicious Cycle, now to find the time to install on my V1000 - rad guard, engine guards, center stand, skid plate, hand guards. It's Christmas!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #489
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Was at the dealership yesterday and they have the v1000 and the s10 right next to each other. Just sitting on them you can really feel the 50lb diet the versys went on. The seating position is much better on the v1000 as well. I think the only place the s10 is better is on really rough dirt. Other than that versys all the way.

That would be lessened with a set of off road wheels too.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #490
aquadog
Dude Buddha

You're just power mad... People talk about inline fours having no character. I like the 4 cylinder wail, and if it's pulling my arms straight, do I care that it doesn't, ah, throb between my legs?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #491
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
You're just power mad... People talk about inline fours having no character. I like the 4 cylinder wail, and if it's pulling my arms straight, do I care that it doesn't, ah, throb between my legs?
I4 have lots of character. Smooth linear power. Love it.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #492
dedecaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
A real torque monster

Just returne from my first long week-end with the V-1000.2000 kms. in New-England.This bike is more than I expect.I take the kankamagus hyway,( rt.112 in N-H.) the east side with mom as a passenger and 2 larges givi full.I let the bike stay in 6 th gear all the way to the top.Very impressive.And in the rain, all my lower body ( waist ,legs and foots) stay dry. I love this bike.
dedecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #493
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedecaster View Post
Just returne from my first long week-end with the V-1000.2000 kms. in New-England.This bike is more than I expect.I take the kankamagus hyway,( rt.112 in N-H.) the east side with mom as a passenger and 2 larges givi full.I let the bike stay in 6 th gear all the way to the top.Very impressive.And in the rain, all my lower body ( waist ,legs and foots) stay dry. I love this bike.

I concur on these comments. The bike does a good job diverting the raiin awy. Better than a Vstrom.

In fact I also went to New England last weekend. I went to NYC thrhu VT - NH and CT using the side routes.

Let me know next time we go somewhere together and I have all my fridays off for the next 8 weeks.

Jean-François

2012 Versys 1000
Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #494
vaslyk
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I stupidly started another Versys 1000 thread under Road Warriors, but as I like my Versys I thought of presenting my few photos here as well to keep this thread going.

Cheers!

vaslyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #495
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaslyk View Post
I stupidly started another Versys 1000 thread under Road Warriors, but as I like my Versys I thought of presenting my few photos here as well to keep this thread going.

Cheers!

Beautiful bike, can't understand how so many dish them because of the looks, then again, I do have the 650