View Results: Can we VOTE for a Sticky?
Yes 1 100.00%
Nah 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #46
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Smaller bikes are easier to kick over- even with a high comp ratio. The 270 is a beast in comparison. Getting that big piston, flywheel and crank spun up quickly to produce a healthy spark can be a challenge. All things even, an Irdium plug can improve starting if your struggling to kick it over with speed. If your a light weight, make sure you get above the bike to get more of your weight behind the KS lever.
\
Good luck -
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey View Post
Hi,

My partner and I just got our first trials bike this year, a 2007 Beta Rev-3 270.

Although I can start it on a curb in the driveway every now and then, I had an impossible time time trying to start it at our buddy Boom-Boom's property this past weekend.

My partner, who is 6-ft, 4-in, also had some difficulty (we usually ride e-start, 4-T trail bikes). I'm 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam at 133lbs.

I was able to kick Boom-Boom's new Beta evo 290 okay in the woods; not as easy as some other trials bikes I have tried, but easier than the 270.

If I decide to try another used Beta for easier starting, should I be focusing on the compression ratio figures?

I see, for example, in the new Evo 2-stroke lineup:

290 ratio is 9.5:1,
250 ratio is 8.9:1, and
200 2T is 11.8:1.

For reference, our Rev-3 270 is 10.8:1.

Is the 250 the easiest bike to kick-start?

Any suggestions on an easier-starting Beta model?

Thanks,
Janet
BTW, we will be practicing our kickstart technique this weekend on the 270.

Beta are more awkward to start than some other bikes due to high mounted kick-start on the left. However smaller capacity bikes are easier than the bigger ones, as they are always easier to kick over.

For most beginners a 125cc bike will be perfect, but the general opinion on here seems to support the idea of 270/280/300 being best for beginners, which is a shame as in most cases the bigger bikes will always be 2 or 3 steps ahead of a new rider, and mean trying to learn the basics takes far longer than with a smaller bike.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #48
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey View Post
Hi,

My partner and I just got our first trials bike this year, a 2007 Beta Rev-3 270.

Although I can start it on a curb in the driveway every now and then, I had an impossible time time trying to start it at our buddy Boom-Boom's property this past weekend.

My partner, who is 6-ft, 4-in, also had some difficulty (we usually ride e-start, 4-T trail bikes). I'm 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam at 133lbs.

I was able to kick Boom-Boom's new Beta evo 290 okay in the woods; not as easy as some other trials bikes I have tried, but easier than the 270.

If I decide to try another used Beta for easier starting, should I be focusing on the compression ratio figures?

I see, for example, in the new Evo 2-stroke lineup:

290 ratio is 9.5:1,
250 ratio is 8.9:1, and
200 2T is 11.8:1.

For reference, our Rev-3 270 is 10.8:1.

Is the 250 the easiest bike to kick-start?

Any suggestions on an easier-starting Beta model?

Thanks,
Janet
BTW, we will be practicing our kickstart technique this weekend on the 270.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Beta are more awkward to start than some other bikes due to high mounted kick-start on the left. However smaller capacity bikes are easier than the bigger ones, as they are always easier to kick over.

For most beginners a 125cc bike will be perfect, but the general opinion on here seems to support the idea of 270/280/300 being best for beginners, which is a shame as in most cases the bigger bikes will always be 2 or 3 steps ahead of a new rider, and mean trying to learn the basics takes far longer than with a smaller bike.
I agree on the 125cc bike being a great first bike and easy to start, my wife has a 2008 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 and it was the first trials bike in the house. She is also at about 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam and loves the bike, easy to ride and has plenty of power for her. I am also quite sure she is learning much quicker on this bike than she would have on a 250 to 300. There are also the Sharco 200's as an option...

On the learning side I am also glad I was on her 125 for the first 2 months of riding trials. It was a great first 2 months of riding and helped tones in preparing me for the Montessa 4RT I am riding now. I am 5-ft, 9-in and 31-in inseam and the bike fits the wife just a bit better than me for reference.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #49
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
I agree on the 125cc bike being a great first bike and easy to start, my wife has a 2008 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 and it was the first trials bike in the house. She is also at about 5-ft, 3-in w/29-inseam and loves the bike, easy to ride and has plenty of power for her. I am also quite sure she is learning much quicker on this bike than she would have on a 250 to 300. There are also the Sharco 200's as an option...

On the learning side I am also glad I was on her 125 for the first 2 months of riding trials. It was a great first 2 months of riding and helped tones in preparing me for the Montessa 4RT I am riding now. I am 5-ft, 9-in and 31-in inseam and the bike fits the wife just a bit better than me for reference.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Glad to see that not everyone in the US is under the illusion that bigger is better when it comes to choosing the most suitable beginner bikes! Smaller bikes will halve the time it takes to acquire basic riding skills, and from the beginners I see struggling with larger capacity bikes, not sure these would ever be feasible for less able riders on 280/290/300 machines?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #50
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 194
Twin Shocker: You claim everyone here is of the opinion that a beginner should have the largest size motor possible.
That is not a true statement.
In the past when you have had these arguments with people it was because people were advising a 250+ pound man that he might be better suited getting a full size machine due to his weight. You claimed he should get a old twin shock machine so he could learn the "right way" or get a 125 or 200.

I saw a 125 trials machine for the first time at the worlds, and also saw lots of guys much lighter than me and much more skilled than I take a 5 on section two trying to go up a hill past a boulder and the bike just didn't have the power to keep their momentum going. I am very glad I got a large bike as a first for me, because my property has steep slopes and I would not be happy stalling a 125 all day halfway up slopes.

Granted in a perfect world we would all have started on old twin shock machines, moved over to small modern machines, and now have 4RT's and splatting 7 foot faces, but that is not the reality most of us are dealing with.

No wonder you get treated the way you do here
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #51
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If you are into riding a trials bike purely for fun, and are not a beginner who is looking to compete seriously, a larger capacity more difficult to ride bike will be just fine.

On the other hand if you are looking to take part in competition, starting out on a harder to ride bike will mean getting the basics will take a lot longer, and riding will be less enjoyable.

Easy way to prove a smaller bike works better is see if you can try one on a section you find difficult/impossible on larger capacity bike. Most times you will do far better on the smaller bike, and will see that the chat room suggestions that bigger is better simply arent correct.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #52
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 74
Laugh Ossa TR280i

Well I only seen a trials bike for a few minutes years ago...

Now I live up north and was still thinking about trials. Decided that the Ossa 280i would be a wicked "beginner" bike...Factory edition at that

I went from a 640 Adv to a GG EC300 thinking that was light, boy will I be in a whole new class with this revolutionary bike. Now I am noticing boulders and faces everywhere for when the bike arrives...I will try to take it one step at a time and keep it simple but sure can't wait to do a double blip!
02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #53
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_8 View Post
Well I only seen a trials bike for a few minutes years ago...

Now I live up north and was still thinking about trials. Decided that the Ossa 280i would be a wicked "beginner" bike...Factory edition at that

I went from a 640 Adv to a GG EC300 thinking that was light, boy will I be in a whole new class with this revolutionary bike. Now I am noticing boulders and faces everywhere for when the bike arrives...I will try to take it one step at a time and keep it simple but sure can't wait to do a double blip!
If you're of age, please make me a beneficiary. I'll take the Ossa if you please.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #54
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 672
Problem

Hi, My name is Larry and I think I might have a trials problem. A couple of weeks ago I went to a NMTA event at Sipapu, NM. I went primarily to dual sport, but lots of people were not so subtly hinting that I should try this whole trials thing. Tony even let me ride on his spare, that was all it took! Next thing I know I have a Guest GasGas in my garage, and i keep sneaking out to the desert to turn in small circles and giggle to my self.
The trials community is the nicest bunch of moto-crack dealers I have ever encountered!

Now this fine example of the Spanish moto arts is coming to live with me, I have joined NMTA, and am planning to embarass myself at the next trials in Taos. Oh Lordy, what have I done?

BEEF706 screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 10:30 PM
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #55
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Glad you could join us!

Welcome to the dark side!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #56
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
If you're of age, please make me a beneficiary. I'll take the Ossa if you please.
Sorry but I'm not even at the 30 Year mark yet ...Although I do own a camper I am not even close to being retired.
02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #57
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF706 View Post
Hi, My name is Larry and I think I might have a trials problem. A couple of weeks ago I went to a NMTA event at Sipapu, NM. I went primarily to dual sport, but lots of people were not so subtly hinting that I should try this whole trials thing. Tony even let me ride on his spare, that was all it took! Next thing I know I have a Guest GasGas in my garage, and i keep sneaking out to the desert to turn in small circles and giggle to my self.
The trials community is the nicest bunch of moto-crack dealers I have ever encountered!

Now this fine example of the Spanish moto arts is coming to live with me, I have joined NMTA, and am planning to embarass myself at the next trials in Taos. Oh Lordy, what have I done?
Hi, Larry. The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is indulging your problem whenever possible. There is no third step.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #58
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
LOL - RideNM.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #59
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Hi, Larry. The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is indulging your problem whenever possible. There is no third step.
Excellent, that is my plan then! Trialsaholics unanimous?
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #60
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I thought step 3 was getting your friends to join the dark side with you...