Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #346
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post

Oh my!

I guess I have to be the guy to throw some cold water on this one - that thing is UGLY! The tail is way too short, and the seat is way to high. Then there is the empty space beneath the seat. What's up with that? It looks like somebody crammed a Z1 motor and tank onto a super motard.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #347
desmoface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I'm quite fond of it. Kawy will never mass produce it, of course.

Steve
05 st3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I guess I have to be the guy to throw some cold water on this one - that thing is UGLY! The tail is way too short, and the seat is way to high. Then there is the empty space beneath the seat. What's up with that? It looks like somebody crammed a Z1 motor and tank onto a super motard.
desmoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #348
basque
Infidel

Oddometer: 679
The space under the seat actually houses the radiator. Maybe not practical in a mass-production sense, but kinda nifty.

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...y-concept.html
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #349
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yamaha built a better Sportster than HD. They can build a better Striple and Brutale than the Brits and Eye-ties.
The tuning fork camp, like Honda and Kaw, is all go and no quit.

This triple will likely be the cat's ass.
I don't think the Brutale is something YAMAHA will go after. Everything they said about the new thing indicates "real world" and sane speeds. They seem to think they have been a bit too brutale in the past and it was getting a bit ridiculous.

The Japanese don't seem to want to do too many Halo bikes. I think they should occasionally. Do some limited run 250HP beasts with 3 minute warranties just to keep the press occupied and prove that they can do it.

The real world seems to be there thing more and more these days. Suits me. It's good to see some small operators trying to do exotic stuff, I don't think the big boys need go there.

Anyway Neil Hodgson may decide it's the new "worst bike in the world". Or maybe MCN will decide to put it up against the S1000RR and bag it out because it has a totally inadequate top speed.

How many people buy a bike just to give people the impression they are of the same calibre as the bike?

Don't know how much that plays into the equation. Seems to be plenty of young people writing cheques their talent can't cash.

On the other hand bikes like the SV1000 and 650's were better than they looked on paper so we will see whether the fun has been done right or not. Too early to tell yet. It should be reliable though.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #350
CAW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I don't think the Brutale is something YAMAHA will go after. Everything they said about the new thing indicates "real world" and sane speeds. They seem to think they have been a bit too brutale in the past and it was getting a bit ridiculous.

The Japanese don't seem to want to do too many Halo bikes. I think they should occasionally. Do some limited run 250HP beasts with 3 minute warranties just to keep the press occupied and prove that they can do it.

The real world seems to be there thing more and more these days. Suits me. It's good to see some small operators trying to do exotic stuff, I don't think the big boys need go there.

Anyway Neil Hodgson may decide it's the new "worst bike in the world". Or maybe MCN will decide to put it up against the S1000RR and bag it out because it has a totally inadequate top speed.

How many people buy a bike just to give people the impression they are of the same calibre as the bike?

Don't know how much that plays into the equation. Seems to be plenty of young people writing cheques their talent can't cash.

On the other hand bikes like the SV1000 and 650's were better than they looked on paper so we will see whether the fun has been done right or not. Too early to tell yet. It should be reliable though.
Good post.

If you like riding motorcycles, it will be a fun bike. How can't it be? Relatively light, thin, wide leverage bars, hp and torque that are higher than anyone needs in the real world. Unless it handles like the original Yamaha 750 triple specials or a tl1000r how can you lose. Sure it won't be everyone's perfect ride. But it has to be fun.

Look at the bright side, even if it handles like a tl1000s, there will be plenty of them bouncing down the road, so cheap salvage triples will be everywhere.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #351
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
If Yamaha is taking styling cues from the Z1000, we're in trouble...

Rumor has it that Mama Kaw has a "retro-style" bike in the works based on the Z's motor/chassis. If it's anything like the concept below, I will own it.

http://blog.derestricted.com/design/...ke-eicma-2012/

RUMOR HAS IT? Please tell me where you heard this "rumor"? I need to know because I think that is about the neatest thing to come out in a very long time. I really do like the Z100, but it has nowhere near the personality that this beautiful thing has.

Please verify that rumor if possible, so that I may dream and start saving $$. I would buy that machine in a heartbeat!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #352
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 600
Quote:

You know, many of you guys come off as old, sour, killjoys. I posted a while back that I love a bike with a bid stupid motor and a lot of hp.

Someone said that I was covering up because I had a small package? Other jeers were thrown around to. It's all good, I don't mind some kidding about, but why slam on someone that has different tastes? My opinion is that slow motorcycles are a waste of time, and the patrons of these vanilla machines are ruining the industry. But, I don't act like a jerk about it.

For me a scary fast machine is part of the thrill of riding. I am not as good as any high performance machine that I have had. Don't pretend to be.

I don't make fun of prudent, MPG concerned NC700/DL650 types. Why bash on somebody who likes something that you don't care for? If you hall monitor sorts were the only types in existence, the world would be pretty damn boring.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #353
basque
Infidel

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
RUMOR HAS IT? Please tell me where you heard this "rumor"? I need to know because I think that is about the neatest thing to come out in a very long time. I really do like the Z100, but it has nowhere near the personality that this beautiful thing has.

Please verify that rumor if possible, so that I may dream and start saving $$. I would buy that machine in a heartbeat!
A member over at zrxoa.org claims that someone at Kawasaki who is "in the know" is hinting at neo-retro roadster in the pipeline.

Hell, I'd be happy with a parts bin special.. Z1 chassis/ZRX motor (torque!)/classic (non-insectoid) styling/11k. But nobody cares what I think.

Back to the regularly scheduled FZ-09 thread..
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #354
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You know, many of you guys come off as old, sour, killjoys. I posted a while back that I love a bike with a bid stupid motor and a lot of hp.
Now listen up sonny .

Let me re-phrase that for you...

Quote:

The Japanese don't seem to want to do too many Halo bikes. I think they should occasionally just for stripple. Do some limited run 250HP beasts with 3 minute warranties just to keep the press occupied and prove that they can do it.
Quote:
Someone said that I was covering up because I had a small package? Other jeers were thrown around to. It's all good, I don't mind some kidding about, but why slam on someone that has different tastes? My opinion is that slow motorcycles are a waste of time, and the patrons of these vanilla machines are ruining the industry. But, I don't act like a jerk about it.

For me a scary fast machine is part of the thrill of riding. I am not as good as any high performance machine that I have had. Don't pretend to be.
Well, so what? What has the size of your package have to do with it? The S1000RR HP4 is still for sale isn't it?

I was talking about what YAMAHA have decided. . It seems there are a decreasing amount of Stripples out there and a volume manufacturer has to make volume.

I see plenty of youngin's on 50cc scooters and oldies on Busa's/K1300's who can actually use them. Most of the world runs on 250cc or less.

What's ruining the industry is the perception of motorbikes as "toys". Things you can easily do without because they are 99% irrelevant to many people in the day to day life and the first thing they will stop buying if things get a bit tight, because in the end they are just not a day to day proposition. Think $1.00 per mile just to run one Think a set of high tech tires that cost $400 a pair and wear out in 3000 miles just to try and get 200HP to the ground. Think fuel consumption that is worse than many cars. Think legislators that get harassed after every death at 250km/h

It's not a young old thing. It's just that some want the compromises leaning more towards fun at sane speeds and YAMAHA seems to have picked up on that. The smaller manufacturers can continue catering for the others. I am sure they don't want to know how big your package is, except the one in your back pocket. I think the R1 and VMax will still be available too if you want one.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:02 PM
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #355
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,353
Any idea if dealers will allow test rides to a serious looker or just during an organized demo day?

Had a Triumph Tiger 1050 and loved the triple. It was bigger and heavier than this bike but the Yamaha looks to have about the same performance numbers so likely quicker than the big Tiger.

I could probably sell the XR1200 and buy this bike with little to no money out of pocket but would not buy without a good test ride.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #356
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
tdm concept

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #357
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
tdm concept
Luca Bar design again..

Looks pretty good actually. Nice update to me anyway.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #358
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Yeah, that's tight.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #359
SLOco.moto
dos ruedas adicto

Oddometer: 53
[QUOTE=MookieBlaylock;21675935]tdm concept

Now we're talkin'. Count me in on one of those.
SLOco.moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #360
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Any idea if dealers will allow test rides to a serious looker or just during an organized demo day?

Had a Triumph Tiger 1050 and loved the triple. It was bigger and heavier than this bike but the Yamaha looks to have about the same performance numbers so likely quicker than the big Tiger.

I could probably sell the XR1200 and buy this bike with little to no money out of pocket but would not buy without a good test ride.
Some Big-4 dealers do, some Big-4 dealers don't. Call around to your local ones to see if they're going to do it.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote