Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #9376
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 359
is there a small inline fuel filter on the 690? Not the one in the tank.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #9377
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
Mine did not boil, this was preventative:

Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #9378
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
I was concerned that the exhaust pipe would heat up the tank, but I can put my fingers between the pipe & tank and it doesn't radiate enough heat to be a problem...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #9379
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Hi,

Tried posting this under a new thread, but got no replies.

I am running the Wings silencer with small tip and the stock air filter with desmog. I am going to try a K&N filter. Is the flow of the K&N different enough to require a remap to a more open filter setting? Is there anyone in the STL area that can do a remap?

Thanks,

MrHix

I know this has been talked about before, and opinions vary. But, fwiw I also run the small tip Wings, and no SAS or Canister and still have the stock map (and snorkel). Rather than the K&N, I rotate between a couple of UNI's.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #9380
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
I know this has been talked about before, and opinions vary. But, fwiw I also run the small tip Wings, and no SAS or Canister and still have the stock map (and snorkel). Rather than the K&N, I rotate between a couple of UNI's.
Thanks SDD04!

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #9381
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have ridden both EVO1 & EVO2 in many hot countries,Morrocco,Tunisia,and Australia,and not experienced any gas boiling issues,can you give an idea of what has happened,and what temperatures etc,as it is not something our customers have informed us about
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.

As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.
690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #9382
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
is there a small inline fuel filter on the 690? Not the one in the tank.
Only the one in the tank.
690 Wiki
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #9383
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.

As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.

Is the tank vent functioning? While gas can boil at a much lower temperature than you might think it, normally doesn't happen because it evaproates relatively quickly. However, if you increase the pressure of the vessel containing it you will lower the temp even further
Oops, got that backwards, lower pressure = lower boiling point. So much for trying to remember 10th-grade science...

sprouty115 screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 08:30 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #9384
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Is the tank vent functioning? While gas can boil at a much lower temperature than you might think it, normally doesn't happen because it evaproates relatively quickly. However, if you increase the pressure of the vessle containing it you will lower the temp even further...
I believe so. When I removed the left gas cap the fuel did not stop boiling until 5 minutes had passed.
690 Wiki
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #9385
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Hey guys!
Read through most of the posts and wanted to thank you all for adding your mods and thoughts.
That being said I cant help being frustrated that i cant find a summary of must do to the bike and proper tuning of the engine.
Electrical connections break or were not done correctly from the factory, the fuel tank may come lose, the throttle may fall apart, the bike might just start stalling on its own, the fuel pump seems to stop working after a certain time, etc.
Some people put on pipes and tune, others dont. Some mod the airbox, tune and other dont. Then there is a huge amount of tuning codes available. Some people just put in a new ECU.
If someone knows where I can get a full one page summary of the info that would be very helpful.
This is either the most complicate motorcycle on the planet or Im terrible with Google.

Thanks guys.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #9386
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth View Post
Hey guys!
Read through most of the posts and wanted to thank you all for adding your mods and thoughts.
That being said I cant help being frustrated that i cant find a summary of must do to the bike and proper tuning of the engine.
Electrical connections break or were not done correctly from the factory, the fuel tank may come lose, the throttle may fall apart, the bike might just start stalling on its own, the fuel pump seems to stop working after a certain time, etc.
Some people put on pipes and tune, others dont. Some mod the airbox, tune and other dont. Then there is a huge amount of tuning codes available. Some people just put in a new ECU.
If someone knows where I can get a full one page summary of the info that would be very helpful.
This is either the most complicate motorcycle on the planet or Im terrible with Google.

Thanks guys.
Check out the http://ktm690.info hall of wisdom. It's not really a how to setup a new bike but it's a compilation of common breaks and fixes or mods.
690 Wiki
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #9387
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks guys.
I don't know of a one-page summary, but this will get you most of the way there with a few pages of reading.
http://ktm690.info/index.php/690_Hall_of_Wisdom
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846888

BTW, it is perfectly acceptable to ride the bike 100%-bone-stock and to expect to have a wonderful time. It is not, as some of might like to imply, a time-bomb ready to drop dead in the darkest corner of the earth. So if you just plan on driving around town you can pretty much ignore all of the mods with no greater risk of mechanical issue than any other modern bike.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #9388
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Thanks guys.
If you find someone that has spent a ton of time with a dyno and trying different air box mods and pipes, please let me know.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #9389
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
I believe so. When I removed the left gas cap the fuel did not stop boiling until 5 minutes had passed.

In your earlier post you mentioned running a non stock map...
Stick your fingers between the pipe & the tank after it's warmed up
If it's hot enough to be uncomfortable, you have map problems...

Is it possible that what you think is boiling fuel is actually fuel gravity flowing into the tank?
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #9390
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
Is it possible that what you think is boiling fuel is actually fuel gravity flowing into the tank?
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but it was definitely boiling. The way their fuel taps are setup wouldn't allow for bubbling unless it was boiling. These were not small bubbles either in the left tank it was somewhat violent churning.

My pipe was way to hot to do that even on the stock map. My map is the KTM factory evo-1 airbox map so I doubt it would make the bike run hotter than normal. The heat feels the same on the left side if not a bit more concentrated (which I would expect) since the tanks were installed.
690 Wiki