ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #9331
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 6,376
Also what has anyone tried doing to reduce the vibrations that come through the evo-2 tanks?
__________________
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"You don't cross the mountains, they let you through."
KTM 525 XC-W // KTM 950 Adventure
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #9332
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 211
Holy smokes! Gas boiling issue?! I'm going to be picking these up myself and the gas.... Boils.... ? Ummm... What?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
__________________
2010 KTM 690 Enduro r (Current)
LOADED 2008 KLR (Sold)
2000 Ducati Monster 750 (Sold)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #9333
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Holy smokes! Gas boiling issue?! I'm going to be picking these up myself and the gas.... Boils.... ? Ummm... What?
I haven't seen this ...

Rode some hot days, before the season turned ...

Others ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #9334
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
We have ridden both EVO1 & EVO2 in many hot countries,Morrocco,Tunisia,and Australia,and not experienced any gas boiling issues,can you give an idea of what has happened,and what temperatures etc,as it is not something our customers have informed us about
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #9335
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
Also what has anyone tried doing to reduce the vibrations that come through the evo-2 tanks?
What vibes are you talking about???

Maybe you are ridding to slow!!!!!
Turn your right wrist and make that 690 RUN !!!!!!!!

just joking

Never had it happen ,
What pipe are you running????
I ran a FMF and Akra with carbon gaurds
I would just wrap the Head pipe if you Ceramic coat the Head Pipe you will KILL your muffler 5times as fast
But then you could install a Rally Low pipe.
" I do have a custom LOW Rally pipe I will sell you

__________________
2015 support: Multitool,GPS IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2, Helmets,
100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #9336
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Also what has anyone tried doing to reduce the vibrations that come through the evo-2 tanks?
No vibrations at all for me ...

Tanks full or empty ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #9337
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Hi,

Tried posting this under a new thread, but got no replies.

I am running the Wings silencer with small tip and the stock air filter with desmog. I am going to try a K&N filter. Is the flow of the K&N different enough to require a remap to a more open filter setting? Is there anyone in the STL area that can do a remap?

Thanks,

MrHix



Probably wont, but the K&N does not filter worth a crap.
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #9338
touser
canned fruit
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: NSW South Coast Aus
Oddometer: 358
is there a small inline fuel filter on the 690? Not the one in the tank.
__________________
I know the voices arn't real, but they do have good ideas.
touser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #9339
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba
 
Bill the Bong's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kalahari South Africa
Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
Mine did not boil, this was preventative:

__________________
KTM 690 R - "Its just a little crush..."
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #9340
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer
 
SKINNY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
I was concerned that the exhaust pipe would heat up the tank, but I can put my fingers between the pipe & tank and it doesn't radiate enough heat to be a problem...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #9341
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Hi,

Tried posting this under a new thread, but got no replies.

I am running the Wings silencer with small tip and the stock air filter with desmog. I am going to try a K&N filter. Is the flow of the K&N different enough to require a remap to a more open filter setting? Is there anyone in the STL area that can do a remap?

Thanks,

MrHix



I know this has been talked about before, and opinions vary. But, fwiw I also run the small tip Wings, and no SAS or Canister and still have the stock map (and snorkel). Rather than the K&N, I rotate between a couple of UNI's.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #9342
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrHix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: MO
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
I know this has been talked about before, and opinions vary. But, fwiw I also run the small tip Wings, and no SAS or Canister and still have the stock map (and snorkel). Rather than the K&N, I rotate between a couple of UNI's.
Thanks SDD04!

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #9343
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have ridden both EVO1 & EVO2 in many hot countries,Morrocco,Tunisia,and Australia,and not experienced any gas boiling issues,can you give an idea of what has happened,and what temperatures etc,as it is not something our customers have informed us about
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.



As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.
__________________
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"You don't cross the mountains, they let you through."
KTM 525 XC-W // KTM 950 Adventure
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #9344
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
is there a small inline fuel filter on the 690? Not the one in the tank.
Only the one in the tank.
__________________
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"You don't cross the mountains, they let you through."
KTM 525 XC-W // KTM 950 Adventure
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #9345
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.



As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.

Is the tank vent functioning? While gas can boil at a much lower temperature than you might think it, normally doesn't happen because it evaproates relatively quickly. However, if you increase the pressure of the vessel containing it you will lower the temp even further
Oops, got that backwards, lower pressure = lower boiling point. So much for trying to remember 10th-grade science...

sprouty115 screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 08:30 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015