Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #9331
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,376
Also what has anyone tried doing to reduce the vibrations that come through the evo-2 tanks?
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #9332
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Holy smokes! Gas boiling issue?! I'm going to be picking these up myself and the gas.... Boils.... ? Ummm... What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #9333
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Holy smokes! Gas boiling issue?! I'm going to be picking these up myself and the gas.... Boils.... ? Ummm... What?
I haven't seen this ...

Rode some hot days, before the season turned ...

Others ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #9334
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
We have ridden both EVO1 & EVO2 in many hot countries,Morrocco,Tunisia,and Australia,and not experienced any gas boiling issues,can you give an idea of what has happened,and what temperatures etc,as it is not something our customers have informed us about
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #9335
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Also what has anyone tried doing to reduce the vibrations that come through the evo-2 tanks?
What vibes are you talking about???

Maybe you are ridding to slow!!!!!
Turn your right wrist and make that 690 RUN !!!!!!!!

just joking

Never had it happen ,
What pipe are you running????
I ran a FMF and Akra with carbon gaurds
I would just wrap the Head pipe if you Ceramic coat the Head Pipe you will KILL your muffler 5times as fast
But then you could install a Rally Low pipe.
" I do have a custom LOW Rally pipe I will sell you

Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #9336
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
No vibrations at all for me ...

Tanks full or empty ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #9337
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Hi,

Tried posting this under a new thread, but got no replies.

I am running the Wings silencer with small tip and the stock air filter with desmog. I am going to try a K&N filter. Is the flow of the K&N different enough to require a remap to a more open filter setting? Is there anyone in the STL area that can do a remap?

Thanks,

MrHix

Probably wont, but the K&N does not filter worth a crap.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #9338
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 358
is there a small inline fuel filter on the 690? Not the one in the tank.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #9339
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Mine did not boil, this was preventative:

Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #9340
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
I was concerned that the exhaust pipe would heat up the tank, but I can put my fingers between the pipe & tank and it doesn't radiate enough heat to be a problem...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #9341
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Hi,

Tried posting this under a new thread, but got no replies.

I am running the Wings silencer with small tip and the stock air filter with desmog. I am going to try a K&N filter. Is the flow of the K&N different enough to require a remap to a more open filter setting? Is there anyone in the STL area that can do a remap?

Thanks,

MrHix

I know this has been talked about before, and opinions vary. But, fwiw I also run the small tip Wings, and no SAS or Canister and still have the stock map (and snorkel). Rather than the K&N, I rotate between a couple of UNI's.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #9342
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
I know this has been talked about before, and opinions vary. But, fwiw I also run the small tip Wings, and no SAS or Canister and still have the stock map (and snorkel). Rather than the K&N, I rotate between a couple of UNI's.
Thanks SDD04!

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #9343
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have ridden both EVO1 & EVO2 in many hot countries,Morrocco,Tunisia,and Australia,and not experienced any gas boiling issues,can you give an idea of what has happened,and what temperatures etc,as it is not something our customers have informed us about
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.

As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #9344
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
is there a small inline fuel filter on the 690? Not the one in the tank.
Only the one in the tank.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #9345
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,769
Quote:
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.

As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.

Is the tank vent functioning? While gas can boil at a much lower temperature than you might think it, normally doesn't happen because it evaproates relatively quickly. However, if you increase the pressure of the vessel containing it you will lower the temp even further
Oops, got that backwards, lower pressure = lower boiling point. So much for trying to remember 10th-grade science...

sprouty115 screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 08:30 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote