Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #2506
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKLR_John View Post
Motorists aren't singling out bicyclists they're just reacting to something blocking their progress.
True, this... Like their right to progress without hindrance is the only thing that counts
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #2507
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
But I know something you don't!
What's that?
I am not left handed!

Since this thread has gotten to the point of a fencing match, I thought it fitting :-)

I hope it brings some joy to those that get the reference.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #2508
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
True, this... Like their right to progress without hindrance is the only thing that counts
We were out riding on Saturday in the Sierras, on the shoulder, which is a designated bike lane. There wasn't any traffic at all, the road was completely straight and some jackass had to give us the brushpass, rolling by with no more than about 6 inches off my elbow.

Why? Why on earth would one feel they had to do that?

The second instance was similar, but the road was curvier, right before a long straight stretch. A guy in an F250 diesel rolled up right behind us and was parked about a foot behind and a foot to the left of the last rider in our group. The road was slightly descending, so the group was a bit split up. The F250 guy puts his foot in it, douses us all in diesel smoke, then jumps out and passes about half the group. A car is coming the other way, so F250boy winds up standing on the brakes, jumping back in his lane and almost hitting a guy on our team as his truck gets squirrely on his mudders. The car passes and this man child feels it necessary to brush pass the rest of the team while playing the coal dust game again. Total elapsed time: 45 seconds. If he'd hung for the entire 45 seconds back there, he would have been able to pass cleanly without stuffing himself into oncoming traffic, endangering a handful of cyclists or being a complete jerk. All that for 45 seconds.

I was thinking about a video I watched where a bunch of people are standing in line at a grocery store register. An older woman is having some trouble finding something in her purse or similar and people in line are getting cheesed off. The video then starts to put labels on people that details what's going on in their life; someone's getting divorced, someone has a sick kid, someone just got accepted to college, that sort of thing.

The general thought in the video was that we need to stop putting ourselves at the center of the universe and feeling that everything is all about us and realize that there's plenty of space for everyone in the planet and that most often, our frustrations are completely due to our own selfishness. In this discussion, that would mean the inability to wait a few seconds for the road situation to resolve it and allow everyone to be on their way.

One of my motorcycle friends just cannot sit behind a car, which leads him to, in my opinion, make questionable passes in order to get by. Why? Two miles down the road, I've caught him and didn't have to make the pass over the crest of the hill or take the super short straight pass or similar. I just don't get it.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #2509
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
I think it comes down to a mindset. We are told to share the road. This implies it was ours to begin with. While we have rights of way we would not have these roads if it weren't for those travelers before us. If there weren't so many people roads would not be multi-lane. Be thankful they are.
My point being that we are all travelers on the roads and we should be more concerned with "driving well" over "being right."
Today a Sheriff almost hit me while I was in a roundabout. It would have been his fault (of course, in court somehow it would be my fault even though I had right of way) but I honked the horn and he finally looked over and hit the brakes while giving me the I'm Sorry wave.
I slowed and used the horn to Drive Well instead of cruising through and Being Right, letting him hit me.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #2510
AWolff
AWolff

Oddometer: 422
Bicycles, like everything else on the road, are a Skill Test

This thread was on my mind Saturday. I spent the day riding back and forth on some back roads along the MN/WI border and passes in and out of some kind of organized bicycle ride. I came across dozens of pack of bicyclists from serious team color groups to tandems to wobbly, struggling also-rans. Probably passed more than 100 individuals in every kind of circumstance from fast sweepers to tight kinks, towns, hills, and valleys. Some hugging the edge of the road, some right on the fog line, some in packs two and three abreast.

And not one goddamn time did it bother me.

Every one of those riders gave me a chance to work on observation, speed estimation, line choice, road reading, and anticipation. Every single one was a chance to smoothly slow, or alter my line, change my setup. Every single time I had to exercise road reading and anticipating traffic. Those are the skills that make motorcycling a challenge and working them, consciously and deliberately, is how I stay sharp.

If passing a bicycle fucks up your ride, you've got emotional problems or you're a shit rider. Or both.

-AWolff
AWolff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #2511
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolff View Post
If passing a bicycle fucks up your ride, you've got emotional problems or you're a shit rider. Or both.

-AWolff
Substitute drive for ride and it still makes sense.

M
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #2512
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Substitute drive for ride and it still makes sense.

When I take our dog Taffy for a ride in the sidecar, its most often on backroads also popular with cyclists, and I can spend a fair bit of time "getting around" them. The typical reaction to us is a smile, a wave, and an obvious effort to make room for us to get by.
I believe its because a dog in a sidecar is an uncommon encounter, and most folks don't have preconceived notions about us, therefore they tend to react in a friendly, cooperative manner.

Before getting all bent out of shape over a cyclists/motorcyclists/drivers behavior, stop and think. How often is what they do in anticipation of, or in reaction to the behavior typically directed towards them.

I think we would all benefit from being willing to appreciate the perspective of others.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #2513
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Be Careful out there!

M
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #2514
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I think we would all benefit from being willing to appreciate the perspective of others.
This is true in every aspect of our lives, IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #2515
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
This is true in every aspect of our lives, IMHO.
Further quoted for truth.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #2516
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Damn, just over the hill from me...

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #2517
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
But I know something you don't!
What's that?
I am not left handed!

Since this thread has gotten to the point of a fencing match, I thought it fitting :-)

I hope it brings some joy to those that get the reference.
It IS one of the more hate filled threads going,and continues on and on.

Lotsa staunch bicycle hating folks on here,something as simple as a two wheeled pedal bike going down the road and it inspires hatred for days.

I wonder if the bike haters also hate the roadworkers who slow their progress?Then there's tractors driving down the road. All sorts of things can cause a slowing,must get old blowing a gasket at every single one.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #2518
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Here too. The gentleman was riding across the U.S. to promote the use of bicycle-powered irrigation pumps in Africa.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #2519
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Another encounter with a jerkoff bicyclist. Approaching a curve on a tight section of road I slowed down and gave the rider a wide berth as I passed him. I then traveled a bit making sure he was well behind me and crawled up to a 4 way intersection. My window was down and as I slowed down to stop at the sign, he then came up from behind me passed me on the right side of my truck, sarcastically said to me thru the open window, thanks for not running me over, and went thru the stop sign without even a pause and turned left in front of my truck and pedaled up the hill in one of those stupid left right jerking motion. I wish I wasn't late getting my daughter because I would have had some fun with that asshole, but anyway I went on my merry way thinking to myself yep, suspicion confirmed, their all assholes, must be the cock pants they wear..
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #2520
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
Another encounter with a jerkoff bicyclist. Approaching a curve on a tight section of road I slowed down and gave the rider a wide berth as I passed him. I then traveled a bit making sure he was well behind me and crawled up to a 4 way intersection. My window was down and as I slowed down to stop at the sign, he then came up from behind me passed me on the right side of my truck, sarcastically said to me thru the open window, thanks for not running me over, and went thru the stop sign without even a pause and turned left in front of my truck and pedaled up the hill in one of those stupid left right jerking motion. I wish I wasn't late getting my daughter because I would have had some fun with that asshole, but anyway I went on my merry way thinking to myself yep, suspicion confirmed, their all assholes, must be the cock pants they wear..

Pretty broad brush, there, buddy. And why are you so interested in cock? Insecure in your sexual identity much?
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote