Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #3436
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Unfortunately my seasoning makes me older rather than wiser, but i have installed a bunch of driving lights, and coaxing electrons to go where they dont want to has paid my bills over the last 30 years. I dont know anything specific about beemers but if you want to pm me any questions i can try to help you out. The bmw forum might be an even better resource than me or this vendor's one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcast View Post
RoundOz
I bow to your Seasoning.
I will peruse and attempt to rectify.

Many thanks!

Oh, wait, did I mention that when I look at wiring diagrams, my brains leak out my ears? They're in Swedish, right?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #3437
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
I want to order a replacement headlight style "drop-in" LED light for my '13 KTM 350EXC, but I only see it for the older KTM's on your web site. I thought you had the same for the newer bikes? Please let me know so I can get it on order.

Thanks

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #3438
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I want to order a replacement headlight style "drop-in" LED light for my '13 KTM 350EXC, but I only see it for the older KTM's on your web site. I thought you had the same for the newer bikes? Please let me know so I can get it on order.

Thanks
Nice to talk with you earlier. We are redesigning the headlight replacement for later model KTMs, expected to be available mid August.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #3439
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
After riding through the back roads of New Hampshire at night, and expecting to do a little more night riding this season, I decided to upgrade the lighting on my Vstrom. Just ordered two model 44's, the dimmer switch, a couple of crash bar mounts, and a couple of waterproof connectors. Can't wait to get 'em all wired up.

You should stock and sell relays on your website as well... save me a trip to the parts store!
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #3440
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Relays?

I've installed 2sets of model 60s 1 set of 40s on three separate bikes...I didn't use a relay on any. Do you need a relay? Mine work great without...15 k on the GS...even more on the KLR and nearly 6k on the Husquvarna TR..it has the rotary dimmer the GS has the key fob.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #3441
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I've installed 2sets of model 60s 1 set of 40s on three separate bikes...I didn't use a relay on any. Do you need a relay? Mine work great without...15 k on the GS...even more on the KLR and nearly 6k on the Husquvarna TR..it has the rotary dimmer the GS has the key fob.
Need? Probably not. Especially not with the draw from LEDs. I've just gotten into dinking around with electrical stuff lately, and I've got room under the seat on the big Vee for things like relays. Plus it's a trendy thing on ADV these days, having relays...
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #3442
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Use a relay if your amp draw will exceed the rating for the switch you are using. 1 or 2 LED lights, even model 60's, would be fine without one on their own separate circuit. But, if you have them wired to come on with a halogen or HID high beam for example, then you will probably want one. Even the cheapest bar mount switches will handle 5-7 amps.
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #3443
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
After riding through the back roads of New Hampshire at night, and expecting to do a little more night riding this season, I decided to upgrade the lighting on my Vstrom. Just ordered two model 44's, the dimmer switch, a couple of crash bar mounts, and a couple of waterproof connectors. Can't wait to get 'em all wired up.

You should stock and sell relays on your website as well... save me a trip to the parts store!
Then the KLR guys would complain they are 30 cents higher than at AutoZone

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #3444
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:

Thanks for your business!

I am just finishing installing lights on my new to me Vstrom. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #3445
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Thanks for your business!

I am just finishing installing lights on my new to me Vstrom. Let me know if you have any questions.
Yeah...where'd you mount 'em? I'm trying to find a place to put 'em that won't cause any damage when my Vstrom takes naps. I ordered the crash bar mounts... I don't think there's enough room to mount them inside the crash bars, but I'm thinking if I hang them off the front of the bars maybe they'll be protected and also not damage the fairing?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #3446
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Yeah...where'd you mount 'em? I'm trying to find a place to put 'em that won't cause any damage when my Vstrom takes naps. I ordered the crash bar mounts... I don't think there's enough room to mount them inside the crash bars, but I'm thinking if I hang them off the front of the bars maybe they'll be protected and also not damage the fairing?
Mounted em on the front fender bolt. Routed wire up the brake line.

Other mounting options: Reflector bracket on lower fork, twisted throttle light mount under the fairing

Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #3447
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
I love the 60's as headlights on the DR with the Dual Sport Fairing. Thinking of the 44's for the FJR as aux lights. Have to figure where to mount them, and the switch.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #3448
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138
Make a plate that sandwiches between the mirror and fairing. Gets them nice and high and able to really throw the light down the road.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #3449
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I love the 60's as headlights on the DR with the Dual Sport Fairing. Thinking of the 44's for the FJR as aux lights. Have to figure where to mount them, and the switch.
Some customer pics FJR1300

Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #3450
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Mounted em on the front fender bolt. Routed wire up the brake line.

Other mounting options: Reflector bracket on lower fork, twisted throttle light mount under the fairing

I like the location of the fender bolt, but I worry that's a spot that'll hit the ground when my Vee gets sleepy. The Twisted Throttle bracket is probably the most protected, but I don't like that the lights are so close to the headlights.

My lights got delivered this morning according to the tracking (woohoo - wicked fast service!) so I'll play around with the crash bar mounting and see if I can come up with something tonight.