Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 681 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #29866
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Old man Herter was kind of unusual. He sold a lot of kits to fiberglass the bottom of wooden boats and all kinds of hunting and camping gear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/bo...s-t.html?_r=2&
I have an old Herter's catalog as well as the "Bull Cook" book. Herter was a hoot for sure. I remember one of his claims was that you could take a fifth of the cheapest whisky you could find and pour a shot of apple juice in it...which of course would turn it into the finest imaginable:-) One of a kind.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #29867
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Herter's was fun to visit. They had a couple of quonset huts with the "sale" stuff, what a flea market that was, canoes, snowmobiles, Herter's brand mini bikes, a total mess.

I loaded more on my Dad's C-press from Herter's than the Rock Chucker I bought him for Christmas 45 years ago.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #29868
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,418
Took a New Yorker shooting today....

So my Cousin, in spite of being from Colorado, is rather sophisticated, and for some obscure reason, married a guy from New York. They have a 12 year old son. So, since we had some time and a nice sunny day, I suggested that maybe his son would like to go pop off some .22's, and did they want to go to the range?

Well, we loaded up a bunch of stuff, including borrowing moms BL-22 "ladies gun", which I have not shot in years.

It was a blast - the boy turned out to be a natural at it, at 25 yards hitting several x rings with the scoped .22 and a good bunch of shots with the BL-22 and iron sights.

I also brought the K-22 pistol and they had fun blasting away with that fun pistol.

I also brought out my PX4 Storm [.40 S&W] but my Cousin in law demurred, it being so powerful. Was a fun couple of hours, as always.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #29869
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The Ballard started life as a standard #9 Union Hill, made in 1883. It was setup as a black powder cartridge rifle (BPCR) competition gun by Ron Long before I purchased it. It has a .45-70 Ron Long barrel with Montana Vintage globe front (with spirit level) and long-range Soule rear sight with a Hadley eye cup. Ron also replaced the original single trigger with an original Ballard #8 double set trigger. I got it in the early '90s. I had the action charcoal case color hardened by the Ballard factory in Cody, Wyoming. Interestingly, Ron Long was working there at that time and enjoyed seeing the rifle again. I had also got a gorgeous block of wood with it and had that stock made (saved the original stock, of course). I cast my own 505gr bullets and loaded with Goex black powder. It shot well under a MOA and was a wonderful competition shooter. Unfortunately, I sold it in a moment of weakness several years ago to someone who wanted it more than I did after I drifted away from shooting competitions. I'm still black and blue from kicking myself for that decision.
Yeah, I would be regretting that too. I guess I have to try to visit the Ballard factory in Cody next time I am up that way. I find the company very interesting and loved to read up on it. Here is a good writeup:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...d=104&magid=12
And some early Ballard art:
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #29870
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Ooops, I did it again.

There is this ban on high capacity mags, and there was this FNS-9 sitting in the LGS, he was all lonely after sitting there at least a month, and I thought to my self that hey, at least he can be warm at my place too....

Plus 3 boxes of 9 mm to go with it.

Now all I need is an FNX-45....snort.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #29871
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
3 Colts and a pair of Winchesters.

vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #29872
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 10,752
I swapped out uppers this weekend. I didn't realize how friggin heavy that 20" bull barrel was until I put the 16" on.

I'm debating on either getting this 16" barrel cut down, or just getting a 14.5" barrel.

I keep saying the next build will be a SBR. I guess I should get that started. I hear that it's anywhere from 6 months to a year to get the stamp right now.

Anywho, before.......

and after, much lighter.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #29873
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post
Just installed a 6.5 Creedmor Krieger on my DPMS upper. Waiting on go = no go guages before I break it in. Wanting to see how well I can run an AR platform between 600 and a 1000.

Reloading supplies were readily available this time. Dies, Hornady Brass, 120 Amax, and 140 Sierra Match Kings.... No 140 Amax in sight.

It was fun to do my own work on it. First time for me on the uppers.
Well, finally got out to break in the barrel on this beast. I am pleased.. I ran 120 AMAX Hornady factory ammo in it to set her up. Bore sighted the 8x32 bench rest scope at a 100 yard gong and then ran the first rounds at paper to see where they would go.
I followed the break in that Krieger suggested (sort of) cleaned between first five rounds, then between each five rounds for about 35 total...

Below is the first five shots out of the barrel. One, then clicked correction, then 2,3,4,5.........

Oh yeah!!

wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #29874
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,046
It has a baby brother .223 Rock River that runs like that at a hundred...

30 consecutive shots at 100. five each target. Harder than it looks.

wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #29875
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,357
Quote:
It has a baby brother .223 Rock River that runs like that at a hundred...

30 consecutive shots at 100. five each target. Harder than it looks.

Impressive groups, spectacular for an autoloader
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #29876
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Well, finally got out to break in the barrel on this beast. I am pleased.. I ran 120 AMAX Hornady factory ammo in it to set her up. Bore sighted the 8x32 bench rest scope at a 100 yard gong and then ran the first rounds at paper to see where they would go.
I followed the break in that Krieger suggested (sort of) cleaned between first five rounds, then between each five rounds for about 35 total...

Below is the first five shots out of the barrel. One, then clicked correction, then 2,3,4,5.........

Oh yeah!!

Outstanding!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #29877
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,271
H&R 308 bull

Got my H&R 308 bull today from Remington.
H&R barrel program is GREAT.
Got an email this morning that my gun was on my way, few hours later UPS was here with it.
The turn around time was about a month, with periodic email updates.

can't wait to try it!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #29878
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,372
In keeping with the little gun collecting I have done lately...here is my newest little toy.

Serial number and markings put it at early 1940 gun....internet pic....dang that photo is bigger than the real thing.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #29879
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:

Oh yeah!!

MUST........CONTROL.......FEELINGSS........OF..... ..ENVY......MUST......CONTROL......

Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #29880
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
NEF fans... Walmart is clearancing the H&R Topper line. I'm picking up a 12ga tomorrow for $89.
That's probably what my brother paid for mine in 1983.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: