Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #256
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
I call bullshit.

its fairly easy for computers to be paced through billions of simulated inadvertant mispresses, in order to find bugs in engine management software. then there is real world testing by engineers, robots, normal drivers, all to prove systems safe.

this sounds like another instance of idiot driver. just exactly as stupid as the camry episodes that made the news.
Did you read the story? It was driver error. I agree though, the mode selection button is too close is too close to the power button. A lot like the Audi pedal error issue.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #257
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Did you read the story? It was driver error. I agree though, the mode selection button is too close is too close to the power button. A lot like the Audi pedal error issue.
yes, if you read the story, you would know he sensationalised the original forum post. go, you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #258
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,571
If the green bouncy ball efficiency gauge causes mental overload, it can be turned off. I'm not a real fan of the Volt's gauges, but they do seem to work and do the job. I'm the type that would prefer retro style gauges, but a tach would be essentially worthless on a Volt. I wish I had the cool KwH gauge in my '12 like Anorak's '13 has. I will agree with anyone that the buttons for the radio and climate control go far beyond sucky.

Any idiot can press the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time. The other day I did it myself, and the logical part of my brain eventually came around, and told the stupid part of my brain "Hey, quit that, take the foot of the pedal, and hit the brake with the left foot." I wasn't going 80, only 5mph, but it was a slightly weird feeling.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #259
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,143
Anorak, how's life with the Volt now you've had it awhile? My wife and I are close to getting one. They are now offering $4000 off 2013's and $5000 off 2012's. Are there enough improvements to warrant the $1k difference? Did you put a charging station in at home? We went to the outlets in Gilroy a few weeks ago, they have charging stations there, but all were in use with Teslas and Leafs(Leaves?). Good thing the Volt has a gas generator!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #260
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,571
2013s have a fuzz more mileage on the battery- about 2-4 miles.
Rumor has it that very late 2012s got the 2013 battery software for the few more miles.

13s default to a slower charge rate on 110v than the 12s Not a big deal if you have a 220v installed

Not all 2012s are approved for the CA HOV pass (early 2012s)

You can get the mylink entertainment sys. on the 2013 I'm pretty happy with the basic radio package on my '12 - not even the bose upgrade.

13s don't have the black section on the rear hatch - just the window.

Probably a few other minor changes.

17000+ miles on my '12 and I'm happy. I've spent about $50 on two service visits for a tire rotation and oil change. I burn more gas than many owners, but heck I bought a nice car with a gas engine I can take on long trips, and get 40mpg on the engine without any diesel or VW headaches.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #261
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Anorak, how's life with the Volt now you've had it awhile? My wife and I are close to getting one. They are now offering $4000 off 2013's and $5000 off 2012's. Are there enough improvements to warrant the $1k difference? Did you put a charging station in at home? We went to the outlets in Gilroy a few weeks ago, they have charging stations there, but all were in use with Teslas and Leafs(Leaves?). Good thing the Volt has a gas generator!
The 2013 gets you a little extra battery capacity, the hold button and in California the H.O.V. privileges. The hold button allows you to choose battery or gasoline operation.

I really like it. So far my driving is about 70% electric and 30% gasoline. I have a 220 volt charger in my garage. I use the charger included with the car at my shop. It takes about 3.5 hours to recharge the battery with the portable charger after my 14 mile drive into Frisco. There are two settings for the included charger. The 2012 and 2011 have them on the charger. The 2013 is switched through the car's information display.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #262
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Thanks guys. Someone on Craigslist is making charging cords to plug into the house 220v dryer plug for $60. Hmm, maybe that doesn't sound so safe. A website called Onestopshop is offering about $2300 in incentives if you buy through them plus the $4k for a 2013, bringing it down to $33k. Federal rebate of $7500 brings it to $25,500. About the same as a loaded Harley. Does California have a rebate program for the Volt?

unknown
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #263
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/te...n-pumping-gas/
Great follow up from the OP
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #264
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,667
I saw 2 volts on a single trip yesterday, it has just become another car and that's saying something good for sales.

I'm seeing a few Leafs and Tesla model S's per week now too.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #265
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Thanks guys. Someone on Craigslist is making charging cords to plug into the house 220v dryer plug for $60. Hmm, maybe that doesn't sound so safe. A website called Onestopshop is offering about $2300 in incentives if you buy through them plus the $4k for a 2013, bringing it down to $33k. Federal rebate of $7500 brings it to $25,500. About the same as a loaded Harley. Does California have a rebate program for the Volt?
The California incentive is $1500. About the charge cord, could you provide a link? I think it must be some sort of adapter. The price is far too low to be a charger. There is an upgrade to the included charger that converts it to 240 volt service and high current charging. The price is about $280 and the charger is no longer usable on 110 service.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #266
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The California incentive is $1500. About the charge cord, could you provide a link? I think it must be some sort of adapter. The price is far too low to be a charger. There is an upgrade to the included charger that converts it to 240 volt service and high current charging. The price is about $280 and the charger is no longer usable on 110 service.

Of course now that I'm looking for that cord, I can't find it. I'll keep looking. Did you have to pay luxury tax on the car?

unknown
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #267
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Of course now that I'm looking for that cord, I can't find it. I'll keep looking. Did you have to pay luxury tax on the car?
No luxury tax.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #268
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
My concern is what will be the resale value of a Volt?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #269
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
Time will tell.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #270
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

I drove from Oakland to Los Altos and the to S.F. today on the range extender only and averaged 39 mpg over 80 miles without any real effort to maximize fuel economy. A mix of driving with freeway, stop and go, urban and varying grades.

I saw six Tesla model S, five Leaves, a couple Volts and one punk ass Prius plug in during the drive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: