User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,685
When I travel over-seas I find the shittiest roller at WalMart for $20. It lasts about 10 trips - 5 round trips. It attracts zero attention through customs versus fancy Prada and Gucci bags these other fellers like to "taut" around.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,645
Be very careful with carry-on bags. For example Itihad airlines allows exactly one carry-on bag. It can only weigh 7 kilos, and must be a very defined size. Soft bags fit the sizers best, but unless you travel very lights, 15 pounds is not much.

Jim

PS I don't play around on international travel, I always check a half empty large bag in case I do some shopping for friends and family.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtIdaho View Post
I use a roller for work http://www.luggageworks.com/browse-p...th-22-bag.html
But it's heavy and the frame and wheels take up a lot of room that could be used for stuff.

When I'm not driving the plane I ditch the wheels and use a http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=48107-0-015

Non wheeled bags fit in more places - if you really don't want to end up checking a bag, they are the way to go.

I'll +1 the Osprey bags as well.
Good point about non-wheeled bags. There's alot more chances of them gate-checking you w/ any bag that sports a chassis/wheels. And it definitely consumes alot of internal space.

And wheels aren't always great. Rolling luggage is great for short stints between the cab 'n the airplane. But it sucks for long stretches of sidewalk, ...even annoying in carpet, and useless in dirt. It's really hard on the wheels, and doesn't go over bumps/curbs/stairs well.

I go wheel-less if I know I'm going to be hoofing it alot. It gets heavy, though, depending on what you're packing. I tend to go for a legitimate backpack with suspension, ergonomics, meant to fit *me*, and a waist belt to keep the weight off my shoulders. And I tend to go for LARGE packs, so I can throw my underseat bag in there too. I'm that guy with the backpack. But by the time I'm on the plane, it's cinched down, with half its contents below my seat.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #19
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Good point about non-wheeled bags. There's alot more chances of them gate-checking you w/ any bag that sports a chassis/wheels. And it definitely consumes alot of internal space.

And wheels aren't always great. Rolling luggage is great for short stints between the cab 'n the airplane. But it sucks for long stretches of sidewalk, ...even annoying in carpet, and useless in dirt. It's really hard on the wheels, and doesn't go over bumps/curbs/stairs well.

I go wheel-less if I know I'm going to be hoofing it alot. It gets heavy, though, depending on what you're packing. I tend to go for a legitimate backpack with suspension, ergonomics, meant to fit *me*, and a waist belt to keep the weight off my shoulders. And I tend to go for LARGE packs, so I can throw my underseat bag in there too. I'm that guy with the backpack. But by the time I'm on the plane, it's cinched down, with half its contents below my seat.
I agree with this. The Osprey I have has the backpack stuff built in, but can also be hidden in the back. I generally keep it all hidden but for one shoulder strap and carry it as a duffle. I wanna say it is the Porter 46.

It has two compression straps, so I can make it pretty small to easily fit an overhead.

Wheeled is great if you have a lot of airport to cover, but once on the ground and outside, a backpack is much better.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
X2 on the Patagonia MLC if you carry on.

Even on the little 50 seat jets you can get them in the overhead, all the wheeled bags go in the cargo bay.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,766
Can you really use adventure when talking wheelie bags?

For a carry on, I use a frameless day pack which fits in overhead or under seat as needed and keeps my hands free, which I prefer.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
A beat up Zero Haliburton. They make a roller case. I couldn't find a beat up one.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
I have a Givi soft bag with hard but flexible plastic edges. It has wheels and a extendable handle. It clips to a bike rack. If you gut the silly internal padded dividers (lap top protection) it is good for a 4-5 days in summer time weather packing and fits in carry-on. I don't know if they make that particular model anymore.

As far as no wheels I have a Eagle Creek soft bag that's been great (I'm on my second one). It has two padded shoulder straps and a soft waist belt. You can easily store these using cover that zips over them which makes the bag a very functional carry-on with a hand handle, like a light suitcase. with planning it easy to carry 2 weeks worth of travel. They may also make one with wheels. But any serious travel I do, especially international where one might get off the grid, the back-pack function is, to me, essential - no matter how old one is.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,354
onebag.com.

My wife and I packed for three weeks in Europe using one carry-on-sized frameless backpack each, and she carried dress clothes for a presentation she had to give plus packed a coffee table book as a gift to someone there. She also had her netbook and her Nook. I toted the cameras and chargers.

Frames and wheels add weight and bulk and take away from storage room and you're not going far with one very easily.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Muggins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Better yet, get one of these super stylin luggage jackets: http://www.skyscanner.net/news/best-...aggage-charges

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: