User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Roundabout + New Tire? = Gear Test

I always hoped I wouldn't have to post in this section but here's my story.

I started the day off with taking care of all the maintenance on the bike: new rear tire, oil change, check valve clearance, etc etc. I take off from Denmark and make my way towards the road I want to head to Germany.

Leaving town I go through a roundabout at around 45km/h (27mph) mid way through my bike slides out from under me. We finish the roundabout together via sliding, which is not the preferred method of travel. I get up and do a quick body check and then go pick up my motorcycle. I may have almost lifted my bike to far and dropped it the other way, luckily I still had enough adrenaline to save it.

The road was pretty good, a few rocks here or there but nothing noticeable. I just finished riding over a 1000km of twisties along the coast of Norway so I was pretty comfortable with the bike and my lean angle wasn't as extreme as some of the stuff I pulled a couple days ago.

The gear did what it was suppose to, I only have a small scratch on my forearm, my knee cap, and then my hand got tweaked from something hitting it or it getting twisted wrong.

Cortech GX-Sport 3.0 jacket:

Tourmaster Caliber pants:

Damage to the bike: quite a few scuffs on the pelican case, front fender, and it tweaked the handlebar. I will grab some pictures of it tomorrow when it's light out.

Lesson learned: don't push new tires that hard and maybe slow down a bit when driving in circles.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Glad you're OK. New tires are certainly a mixed blessing!!!

You'd think that tire manufacturers would figure out a way to wash/scrub the mold release off by now. Or that retailers would have a service they could offer.
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,016
How many miles on the new tire before the get off?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
How many miles on the new tire before the get off?
Probably about 10-15 miles. I knew about how new tires can be slick, but I wasn't thinking.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisezd View Post
Glad you're OK. New tires are certainly a mixed blessing!!!

You'd think that tire manufacturers would figure out a way to wash/scrub the mold release off by now. Or that retailers would have a service they could offer.
"Mold release" is not it, at least according to the manufacturers. The rubber is just greasy until it has been ridden enough to get up to temperature, preferably a couple of times. "Scrubbing" in tires is not as critical as just getting them up to operating temperature. Or so I have read.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
I believe in scrubbing in over operating temp. - I've put on enough new tires in the middle of winter with no way to get a tire as warm as stone cold summer tire. No issues as long as I can go through my usual scrubbing ritual. Maybe it's mold release, maybe the tire surface just need some pockmarks.

Anyway, I also believe those roundabouts tend to be a bit like freeway on/off ramps - slippery from cage droppings. Something about how dangling droplets of oil, diesel, coolant are sudden shaken off by the change in G-forces... In contrast, regular twisties have constantly G-forces.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,485
I have an angle grinder and flap wheel removes almost no rubber, but leaves a nice roughed surface that does not slip for me. Take few minutes, then I balance tire.

Like these

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Avispao
Hornet 900 Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
The first thing i do when i change tyres is washing the bike. I go directly from the garage to the wash-shop.
Avispao is offline   Reply With Quote