ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #7231
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
Have my wife and Kid all in ID now and have been lurking on the Boise ride thread for some time now.

As my wife, and daughter ride and/or ride with me its time to start getting to know people and trail rides.

As things are a little crazy around the house and we have a family reunion on the weekend fallowing the 4th I am not sure when we can ride next but figured it would be good to post so I can get ideas about a day trip out to someplace fun and/or maybe someone who would be willing to ride a slow pace with a wife and Kid along for the ride.

Now...the back story:
So I started riding when I was 11 and by 12 had my first trail bike with 4 speed 80 clutch and all. My wife road a dirt bike a little as a kid but didn't really start riding tell about 7 years ago when we got her a street bike. The kid started when she was 9 on a mini bike auto clutch 70CC 4 speed.

Now... and our bikes:
For the past year and a half my wife and I have been getting into dual sporting and over the last 6 months trials bikes. Our daughter loves to ride on the back of my dual sport even in light single track (beginner level single track only).

I have a G650X Challenge, and wife has a CRF230L for the dual sports. Trials bikes: Mine is a Montesa 4RT, the wife has a Gas Gas TXT Pro 125, and our daughter has a Beta Rev 80.

We are loving all of the rides, I will have our bikes all changed over to ID in the coming weeks, and would love to know more about places to ride with my daughter at the beginner level and the wife at early novice. :)

Thanks in advance.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #7232
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
You could double back to the road and take Corral Crk to the lower section of Sheep to connect Haga. Haga "did" have some gnarly rock exposure that they were going to blast out....not sure if they ever did?
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I'll throw in my Sven Saw which is good up to maybe 10 inch diameters. I'm looking just to check out the area, see the scenery. My wife wouldn't be happy if I got myself stuck out there.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #7233
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
I will have our bikes all changed over to ID in the coming weeks, and would love to know more about places to ride with my daughter at the beginner level and the wife at early novice.
Welcome. We picked up a TW200 for my wife to start riding with me this year and have a son who's a new rider on a TTR110. It would be fun to have company. If you're in Boise then an easy ride, I think, is the dirt roads just up on the Boise Ridge a bit more scenic this time of year than some of the easy desert alternatives.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #7234
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Sounds like fun. Meridian aria for reference, and was thinking maybe a ride on Saturday the 13th or the 20th?

Would the Boise Ridge work for the ORV'ed bikes or would I need to bring the dual sports?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #7235
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Thanks Ryan. BTW I might have an extra set of boots if your boy needs em.
I'd love to! I've been 'meaning' to grab him a set... and just haven't gotten around to it this spring.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #7236
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Welcome. We picked up a TW200 for my wife to start riding with me this year and have a son who's a new rider on a TTR110. It would be fun to have company. If you're in Boise then an easy ride, I think, is the dirt roads just up on the Boise Ridge a bit more scenic this time of year than some of the easy desert alternatives.
Dang... saw your post too late today, or I'd have gone with you.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #7237
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
Dang... saw your post too late today, or I'd have gone with you.

Would love to have more join us. As I have to many chores this weekend the soonest I would be able to go would be next Saturday the 29th, but need to make sure the wife didn't already have plans that weekend. (might already be going out to ride the trials bikes but not sure...)

If not that weekend I would love to on the 13th of July.

In ether case as I don't have a clue where the Boise Ridge is or what I need in order of bikes (ORV, street legal dual sport?) would love to have a PM with the info needed so I can make sure I have my rides situated before setting a fixed data.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #7238
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Park up at the 8th st motorcycle parking lot for Boise Ridge ..... You can get away with your ORV tags on the ridge. Boise Ridge runs from Aldalpe Summit off Rocky Canyon Road all the way up to Bogus.

Most of the Moto trails are along the backside of the ridge....trails 4 and 6 are the only trails heading up from the front side. Newer riders I would just take up the road.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #7239
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I'll throw in my Sven Saw which is good up to maybe 10 inch diameters. I'm looking just to check out the area, see the scenery. My wife wouldn't be happy if I got myself stuck out there.
No problem.....please report back on the conditions. If I hadn't already made a commitment for today I would have joined you.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #7240
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 740
2013 Hells Canyon Rally

got to go to part of the Rally this year... Thanks to Ladybug and everyone for a great Rally!!... I've wanted to do this for a couple of years now and finally got it done... glad I did! Several Boise area riders at the rally this year.

The ADV crowd is a great bunch of folks! Went to Dug Bar on the Snake River in Hells Canyon today with Mike, Brent, Faye, John, Pat and some Fugly guy... had a GREAT time!

the gang at Imnaha store

30 miles of this fun, twisty, rocky road... woo hoo!

the Hells Canyon area never disapoints!

Go Mike!!

Dug Bar on the Snake River... you'll never come here by accident!

Faye's been on the road with her DR 650 for something like a year and half... go Faye!

Somebody likes horses... and somebody else likes Carrots!

Can't wait til next year!...
Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #7241
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
please report back on the conditions
Wow, what a beautiful place. I hit the Lava Mountain trail head from Long Gulch Road out of Smith Prairie. The single track up to the top of Lava was perfect for my tastes. Explosions of flowers out of the white granite. Just amazing.

I continued over to North Star Lake where I had a picnic along the shore. Then some climbing again toward Smith Creek Lake, as it sounds like you well know. That was was the most challenging I did in terms of steep rocky trail. Doable but would have been more fun to watch someone else struggle too.

I had thoughts of going to Rattlesnake Ridge from Smith but it's just as well I missed the turn. Or there isn't one. I went over to Trinity Road. Is that Bear Gulch? That stretch between Smith and Trinity Road was tough. Lots of trees down. I could see it would be fun if you could actually run it. I only kept going because I saw fresh trials tracks. It was a hard workout.

Lots of pictures and video all the way except the last stretch with all the tree hopping. Battery died.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #7242
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Wow, what a beautiful place. I hit the Lava Mountain trail head from Long Gulch Road out of Smith Prairie. The single track up to the top of Lava was perfect for my tastes. Explosions of flowers out of the white granite. Just amazing.

I continued over to North Star Lake where I had a picnic along the shore. Then some climbing again toward Smith Creek Lake, as it sounds like you well know. That was was the most challenging I did in terms of steep rocky trail. Doable but would have been more fun to watch someone else struggle too.

I had thoughts of going to Rattlesnake Ridge from Smith but it's just as well I missed the turn. Or there isn't one. I went over to Trinity Road. Is that Bear Gulch? That stretch between Smith and Trinity Road was tough. Lots of trees down. I could see it would be fun if you could actually run it. I only kept going because I saw fresh trials tracks. It was a hard workout.

Lots of pictures and video all the way except the last stretch with all the tree hopping. Battery died.

Thanks again for your advice.
Sounds like a great ride and workout, I admire people that can ride steep rocky stuff. I can't, at least not well.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #7243
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
I went over to Trinity Road. Is that Bear Gulch?
On a better map I see it's trail 127 along Fall Creek between Smith and Trinity Road. That's where all the trees are down now.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #7244
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Where is this?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #7245
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Lava Mountain to Trinity Ridge

I'll have some pictures later.