Oddometer: 75
Selling g my 96 nighthawk in the nyc area if anyone is interested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #3842
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Just changed the fork seals on my 1984 NH 650. Wasn't too hard...
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #3843
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Good point. Maybe those lowered foot pegs that someone sells that also lowered the corner ground clearance are my last hope. That would be up to 2" more leg room at an angle. But that is about my last hope, so that is what I'll go for, along with raising my seat up at least another inch or two....

I know what you mean as far as knee bend, my knees can't tolerate a lot for too long either. My GS 1200 was barely tolerable. The Adventure I have now is better. I've found that adding 1" - 1 1/2" more distance between the seat and pegs makes a huge difference. If you do both, build the seat up higher and with firmer foam and also lower the pegs an inch or so, you should see a big improvement. Many peg lowering kits additionally move the pegs forward a little which helps even more.

You may already be familiar with this site but if not check it out. You have to click on "add motorcycle" to bring up the list to choose from.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #3844
tlm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have the $170 pegs on mine, worth every penny, lowers the pegs about an inch and made a huge difference in comfort. They require a small amount if filing to fit.
tlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #3845
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
I noticed the 230 gas shock on ebay for $50 less than Progressive sells it, and ebay has it for at $450 (their top of the line I think). It also has the HD springs and 13" length (1" more than 12" stock shocks) which it says will work with stock. I rode around LA all day Saturday in the traffic, and my gas mileage went from 30mpg to 40mpg, but that was going real slow, and my knees were shot (6' tall) at the end of the day. I knew the less than 90 degree knee angle would hurt in the saddle all day, and it sure did.
Have you tried http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ ? I found them to be the cheapest for most Progressive stuff. But I have not looked up prices for the NH. They have free shipping over $99.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #3846
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
I know what you mean as far as knee bend, my knees can't tolerate a lot for too long either. My GS 1200 was barely tolerable. The Adventure I have now is better. I've found that adding 1" - 1 1/2" more distance between the seat and pegs makes a huge difference. If you do both, build the seat up higher and with firmer foam and also lower the pegs an inch or so, you should see a big improvement. Many peg lowering kits additionally move the pegs forward a little which helps even more.

You may already be familiar with this site but if not check it out. You have to click on "add motorcycle" to bring up the list to choose from.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

No I wasn't! That is cool and need to play with it more. However, it does not depict reality for me. Both my bikes, especially the NH pushes my nuts up to the gas tank on braking, and makes it difficult to move back again from knees at 70 degrees - (!) (every time you put the brakes on anyway). That's why I was thinking about the closed cell foam material maybe inclined up to my gas tank to stop the seat crawl: it cramps my knees and endangers my privates simultaneously!

I was looking at the mid position foot pegs. This is the best site I found for my bike, maybe from universal parts. Most of those are for Harley tourers who like to sit in a lazy chair extended 12". That's a little dangerous in traffic, and 3" would be about perfect. I am going to look at my bike to see what I need. There is a $50 extender and $60 brake pivot kit, but maybe that goes with one of the lounge chair controls or for the older CB750's. I think I'm going to ask the guy who will work with you for the $65 lowering kit above to work with me on extending them. It would be a whole new market for him and really what people want and need more.

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.j...rward+controls

The ergo site shows sitting up for me (the ergo standard on startup, nice :-)
with my 2" seat pad that 1" down will give me 4 more degrees on my knees (not skootched up to my gas tank repeatedly anyway). Extending them out gets 3 more degrees to 1.75" forward and then the feet go off the pegs and it jumps 30 degrees, ha ha. From what I've heard, 1" is as low as you want to go and seems to have more impact increasing knee angle per inch than moving forward. EXCEPT moving the pegs/control forward would allow my big leg quad muscles to hold me back and keep from sliding up on the seat as well! So not only would it allow more theoretically knee room, but it would help the 20 degree knee crunches at gd redlights flashing on and off out of control in LA :-)

I'll look at my bike for problems with the 1" down and 3" forward controls and call the lowered foot peg 'Man' up. If this works, everyone over 5'-10" on a NH would love the change! And then finally, the handlebars may need adjusting (they already do with my last 2" seat rise), but how sweet it will be if this all works! I see a lot of NH owners selling their bikes for the same problems and sad they had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm View Post
I have the $170 pegs on mine, worth every penny, lowers the pegs about an inch and made a huge difference in comfort. They require a small amount if filing to fit.
Thanks for the product feedback! They do have up to the 2" lowering option which they do not advise, but other than the high price, they also seemed rough from no rubber on pegs. Maybe that gives them better tolerances fitting than the blocks of machined AL. That is something to reconsider and I might attempt to put the 2 designs on CAD and see how that interfaces on my bike. Common sense would say yours would fit easier due to smaller size. But where am I going to put my big size 14 boots at? ha ha, my foot size went up a size since China started making all our clothes and everything else.

At least I now know the design is pragmatically proven.

rride screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 04:14 PM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #3847
HalcyonDaze
gober guts

Oddometer: 2,794
You can always stand up on 'em

Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #3848
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
How tall are you Kurgan, and are you cramped up after riding long distance? From my height, I would estimate 5'-10" or above would be cramped at the knees bad. Thanks!
5' 10.5"

The stock ergos feel about right to me.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #3849
rride
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
5' 10.5"

The stock ergos feel about right to me.
It looks like a bar from the peg mounts to the front engine mounts with the brake hinge would do it (and a lot of grief). HOWEVER, I just sat behind my cushion (around the strap) and it felt ok, around town anyway. It puts more weight on the rear shock, so I will just get the HD Progressive spring originally planned.

The only thing was carrying my computer pack and books between my sissy bar. But I'm going to get one of those Chromebooks and a small rigid case, and split my books up. It feels ok, and leaning down is cool because it puts me behind my National Cycle III Plexifairing. I never sat back before because always had a 70 lb load behind me in 2 backpacks.

I think this will work. I figured out setting up a 10 speed bike, so this is less in comparison due to the dynamics of pedalling. Just glad it did not involve the $450 shocks and all the other doo-dads. And I get to keep my NH750! It will always be a good backup transportation or main one either way: on a shoestring budget! Once I get it set up for me (at minimum cost), the most expensive thing about it will be $200 tag for it per year. Yeah!

rride screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 09:14 AM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #3850
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
Question NH 750 2003 OEM Hondaline Sissy bar back rest - Installation Hardware

Has anyone installed the OEM Hondaline sissy Bar / Back rest without the hardware kit that Honda used to have available? I have an opportunity to buy a back rest, but it comes with no hardware. If you were able to get hardware locally, any suggestions as to what I would need and where to get it?

Thanks in advance..
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #3851
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,778
The shock bolts should be 70mm long and a 7/16" Nylock nut will work as a spacer. The hardware at the back of the seat I'm not sure about...
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3852
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Has anyone installed the OEM Hondaline sissy Bar / Back rest without the hardware kit that Honda used to have available? I have an opportunity to buy a back rest, but it comes with no hardware. If you were able to get hardware locally, any suggestions as to what I would need and where to get it?
Some of the hardware is not available from Honda anymore and is difficult to locate. I installed one on mine in the past year and had quite a time finding the longer bolts at the top of the shocks. I would get what you can from Honda and the rest wherever you can. I got what I needed from a local automotive fastener place. The installation instructions are on the web that you can print out. It has all the hardware you need listed there.
RobbieAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #3853
SpringheelJack
Vagrant Lurker

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
Some of the hardware is not available from Honda anymore and is difficult to locate. I installed one on mine in the past year and had quite a time finding the longer bolts at the top of the shocks. I would get what you can from Honda and the rest wherever you can. I got what I needed from a local automotive fastener place. The installation instructions are on the web that you can print out. It has all the hardware you need listed there.
^^What he said. I just bought my NH earlier this month and the rack on eBay last week. I found the installation instructions online, googled the parts by number and ordered them from whoever was cheapest (it was cheapcycleparts.com, but please don't consider this a plug as this is my first experience with them.)

Parts should be here next week. They shipped it in two orders and said something was on back order, but not sure which part is what status. When it all gets here I'll update.

In the meantime, anyone have any experience mounting a topbox to the Honda rack, without cutting off the backrest? Saw a picture here, I think, but can't really find any details.

Steve
2005 DL1000 (gone, sadly)
Lots more in the far past ...
SpringheelJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #3854
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
Question NH 750 2003 OEM Hondaline Sissy bar back rest - Installation Hardware

[QUOTE=Foamfollower;21684071]Has anyone installed the OEM Hondaline sissy Bar / Back rest without the hardware kit that Honda used to have available? I have an opportunity to buy a back rest, but it comes with no hardware. If you were able to get hardware locally, any suggestions as to what I would need and where to get it?

Thanks for all the Suggestions.. I do have the instructions and it looks like the parts listed below are the key ones that would be required? You can correct me, this is my best guess... In Any event, the deal to get the back rest appears to have not gone thru.. Maybe next time

Honda - BOLT, FLANGE (10X65)
Item: 90107-KN8-730
*2 Each*
Honda - COLLAR, MUFFLER
Item: 18013-KV3-770
*2 Each*
Honda - COLLAR A, ENGINE HANGER
Item: 50209-MM5-000
*2 Each*
Honda - BOLT, FLANGE (8X22)
Item: 95701-08022-00
*2 Each*
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #3855
rride
Honda NH 750

Yeah, good stuff doesn't stay long on the web now. Too many scalpers trying to make a buck! How much did they want for an incomplete sissy bar?

[QUOTE=Foamfollower;21701182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post

Thanks for all the Suggestions.. I do have the instructions and it looks like the parts listed below are the key ones that would be required? You can correct me, this is my best guess... In Any event, the deal to get the back rest appears to have not gone thru.. Maybe next time

Honda - BOLT, FLANGE (10X65)
Item: 90107-KN8-730
*2 Each*
Honda - COLLAR, MUFFLER
Item: 18013-KV3-770
*2 Each*
Honda - COLLAR A, ENGINE HANGER
Item: 50209-MM5-000
*2 Each*
Honda - BOLT, FLANGE (8X22)
Item: 95701-08022-00
*2 Each*