Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #287
saltspray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post

EXACTLY!

Look at the insurance bike auctions at all the 600cc sport bikes that are available. Because of the speed they are capable of, the kids get killed learning how to ride. I have three wrecks I bought just for the engines, all were fatalities. One was on his first ride. Another didn't even make the long sweeping turn on a 55 mph road, hit a glancing blow on a light post and tore his leg off, bleeding out long before the ambulance arrived.

I am NOT a fan of stunts on the street but if these squids had a Grom and a parking lot there would be a lot fewer families mourning their loss.

Very few of the "young" guys are going to buy a Rebel or a Suzuki TU250.
Those are great starter bikes and great easy riding bikes for experienced riders who want a simple, small bike. But cool they are not.

The young, impressionable boys have to have a 'cool" bike, or whatever the current word is to describe the strict limits of what they can wear, what they talk like, and what is the current "rebellious" individual thing to be/do. If Honda can successfully reach these immature (at any age) boys and get them started on a Grom they may well make future customers out of them, their friends, and their families.
Well said...but could also be solved by parents introducing them to riding at a young age.
saltspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #288
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post

EXACTLY!

Look at the insurance bike auctions at all the 600cc sport bikes that are available. Because of the speed they are capable of, the kids get killed learning how to ride. I have three wrecks I bought just for the engines, all were fatalities. One was on his first ride. Another didn't even make the long sweeping turn on a 55 mph road, hit a glancing blow on a light post and tore his leg off, bleeding out long before the ambulance arrived.

I am NOT a fan of stunts on the street but if these squids had a Grom and a parking lot there would be a lot fewer families mourning their loss.

Very few of the "young" guys are going to buy a Rebel or a Suzuki TU250.
Those are great starter bikes and great easy riding bikes for experienced riders who want a simple, small bike. But cool they are not.

The young, impressionable boys have to have a 'cool" bike, or whatever the current word is to describe the strict limits of what they can wear, what they talk like, and what is the current "rebellious" individual thing to be/do. If Honda can successfully reach these immature (at any age) boys and get them started on a Grom they may well make future customers out of them, their friends, and their families.
This is exactly why many other countries have LAMS and other tiered licensing schemes. Some of these schemes limit you to 17 HP for the first X amount of time, and then, IIRC, the next limit is 47 HP.

I don't know that I agree with 17 HP to start, but certainly 47 HP is a good number. Young boys starting out on a 130 HP sport bike is just asking for fatalities.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #289
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Availability... scarce?

My local dealer had a sit down with his Honda District Rep and was told not to have any realistic expectations on receiving ANY of the 6 Groms he ordered for his August forecasted delivery. I was told this was followed by an argument and no amount of cajoling would change this outcome.

The dealer is not one of the big Power House Honda Shops but they do fairly well selling street bikes. He had no trouble getting confirmation on a Forza he ordered... but sadly no dice on a single Grom as of yet.

Perhaps these bikes will be quite the rare little birds before next spring.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #290
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Short of more govt regulation and a tiered licensing system, I don't know what the answer is. The fact is that the U.S. has the most incompetent drivers and riders of any country in the world, for the most part. The cops focus mostly on speeding, because that is where the easy money is.

I remember what it took to get through flight school back in the early '80s. The FAA controls virtually every aspect of general aviation, and punishment for infraction of any rule is swift and severe. It takes months of training to get a private pilot certification, and it is not cheap. (it was a lot cheaper, relatively speaking) back then than today. But it still required a major commitment.

I think riding (and driving) should require a MUCH larger commitment, and a WHOLE LOT more training than it currently does. I just don't know how to go about that. There is way to much govt regulation already.

The fact that kids who don't know how to ride go out and buy a fast sport bike and quickly kill themselves clearly shows they don't have a clue what they are getting into. But the fact is, these kids are some of the motorcycle manufactures best customers (though usually one time customers, but the dealers and manufacturers can't seem to see beyond today) and any attempt to prevent young unskilled riders from riding these fast (and expensive) bikes would be met with formidable opposition from the manufacturers. They don't care about their customers, only their money, as evidenced by their continued use of tube type tires well into the 21st century.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #291
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Makes me want to go buy a fast and expensive bike.

These companies that only care about money... They'd only build some crazy ass 600 super sport. Not a 125 fun bike.

Let me know when you find a non-profit moto co that specializes in the 1984 virago.

Screw them for only building bikes that allow them to prosper. And then they go selling their bikes to NEW customers! WTF!

Are you kidding me?!
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #292
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The fact is that the U.S. has the most incompetent drivers and riders of any country in the world, for the most part. The cops focus mostly on speeding, because that is where the easy money is.
Have you been to Mexico?
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #293
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post

These companies that only care about money... They'd only build some crazy ass 600 super sport. Not a 125 fun bike.

Let me know when you find a non-profit moto co that specializes in the 1984 virago.

Screw them for only building bikes that allow them to prosper. And then they go selling their bikes to NEW customers! WTF!

Are you kidding me?!

Werd.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #294
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
Tiered licencing is heavy handed where I am (Yurp), and it's not clear if it's bhp that kills young riders or lack of helmet law (which seems to effect southern Yurp more than northern).

The rules seem to financially exclude anyone under 24, as it is very hard and costly to ride bigger before that age.

But, it's not all bad. There are some great 125cc bikes for 17 year olds, and the recent raft of 47bhp machines is good for 19-21 year olds, plus older riders looking to downsize due to cost.

Most Yurpeens live in congested countries with high tax, high fuel costs, and a diminuishing standard of living. It is becoming hard to hold onto a motorcycling way of life, especially if you like to ride a lot rather than own a bike as a object d'art.

So, I hope anyone who buys and rides a Grom loves it. Hopefully some folks will ride this 125cc bike and be inspired to explore various motos in the future.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #295
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post

Are you kidding me?!

It's a conspiracy dating back to the 18th century.

Ever see any pictures of Adam Smith in ATGATT?

Yeah, I didn't think so....

surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #296
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Rebel is a perfect beginner bike, if you fit on it.
...and if you want a cruiser.

If you don't want a cruiser or tupperbike, and you're a small woman, you're SOL. You have to learn on one of those or try to hold up a 300lb+ bike that is way too tall. An experienced rider may not have any issue with this, but a noob likely will.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #297
Dodgerider26
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So many of you seem to think the Grom is only for

A) Small women who can't ride anything else and apparently who all hate dirtbikes.

B) Rebellious teens who suddenly have $3,500 burning a hole in their pocket so they can go buy a Grom instead of a $2,800 R6 used from craigslist....

C) People interested in cheap transportation because they are young, responsible, and poor, but don't want scooters.

You guys missed the really big segment that's actually going to buy these in droves. Guys like me.

That's D (for Dodgerider is friggin' awesome!!!).

D) Guys who have plenty of riding experience, already own/owned insane street bikes with too much power, too little weight, and too much speed too quickly... and now are mature enough to realize that, despite having a 1400 to ride to work everyday, sometimes a nice little 125 with almost no maintenance that weighs nigh more than some pocket lint might actually be the best method to get to work. Sure, I could blaze down the highway at 110 on my Concours14. But seeing as how the majority of drivers are shite, and how the highway is full of drivers... well maybe I want to take the backroads to work. Suddenly I realize that, despite being excellent at so many things, a 1400cc, 680lb sport touring bike is not the ideal mode of transportation on 35-45mph windy inner-city back roads, now is it? Guys like me are looking for something "thrifty", fuel efficient, small, light, fun, low-powered, and practical that has just enough hooligan nature in it that when I feel the occasional balance point wheelie across the work parking lot is in order, the bike will produce one as effortlessly as I require, yet doesn't require a team of engineers to maintain like my KTM 625 SMC supermoto. Yes guys, the Grom will sell in droves to guys just like me who have the disposable income to buy a "toy" bike that it turns out will many times over pay for itself in commuting to work.
Dodgerider26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #298
West Isles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerider26 View Post
So many of you seem to think the Grom is only for

A) Small women who can't ride anything else and apparently who all hate dirtbikes.

B) Rebellious teens who suddenly have $3,500 burning a hole in their pocket so they can go buy a Grom instead of a $2,800 R6 used from craigslist....

C) People interested in cheap transportation because they are young, responsible, and poor, but don't want scooters.

You guys missed the really big segment that's actually going to buy these in droves. Guys like me.

That's D (for Dodgerider is friggin' awesome!!!).

D) Guys who have plenty of riding experience, already own/owned insane street bikes with too much power, too little weight, and too much speed too quickly... and now are mature enough to realize that, despite having a 1400 to ride to work everyday, sometimes a nice little 125 with almost no maintenance that weighs nigh more than some pocket lint might actually be the best method to get to work. Sure, I could blaze down the highway at 110 on my Concours14. But seeing as how the majority of drivers are shite, and how the highway is full of drivers... well maybe I want to take the backroads to work. Suddenly I realize that, despite being excellent at so many things, a 1400cc, 680lb sport touring bike is not the ideal mode of transportation on 35-45mph windy inner-city back roads, now is it? Guys like me are looking for something "thrifty", fuel efficient, small, light, fun, low-powered, and practical that has just enough hooligan nature in it that when I feel the occasional balance point wheelie across the work parking lot is in order, the bike will produce one as effortlessly as I require, yet doesn't require a team of engineers to maintain like my KTM 625 SMC supermoto. Yes guys, the Grom will sell in droves to guys just like me who have the disposable income to buy a "toy" bike that it turns out will many times over pay for itself in commuting to work.
West Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #299
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
I want one for a daily rider.I would like to do the TAT from SC to CA on one.I know I'll do the BRT because I am only an hour or two from the area.I am 36 years old and own 7 motorcycles.It's fun to ride a slow bike fast.I live out in the country and I have to commute to do anything, so good MPG always helps,granted my least fuel effiecent bike gets 50mpg.Grom on.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #300
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I was in Thailand last year and these bikes, and others like them, were everywhere. They are really popular there, especially with the younger crowd, and the older hooligan crowd. It seemed to be the cool bike for teens, and the fun bike for older guys wanting to ride for fun while commuting. The scooter is still the mainstay transportation vehicle, but these certainly have presence. They are fun looking bikes and I wanted to try one out while I was there but didn't get the chance to. I am glad to see they are coming to the US, but I don't know if they will attract the same crowd here. I'd love to have one, and will certainly check them out when they start showing up in showrooms.
aterry1067 is online now   Reply With Quote