Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,438
It will be interesting to see if the incredible success they've had in road cars can translate to motorcycles....
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
It will be interesting to see if the incredible success they've had in road cars can translate to motorcycles....
Ferrari builds pretty cool cars too, but when they tried their hands at bikes it was a disaster. That thing was so ugly it was actually offensive! Yet can build such iconic cars....So no - I don't believe car-building skills translate to two wheels very well at all.

ferrix screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 04:18 PM Reason: finishing the thought
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Ferrari builds pretty cool cars too, but when they tried their hands at bikes it was a disaster. That thing was so ugly it was actually offensive! Yet can build such iconic cars....So no - I don't believe car-building skills translate to two wheels very well at all.
The Lamborghini motorcycle was equally ugly...

What they both have in common is too much bodywork. It seems car makers want to cover all the good bits with a body. Works for cars but not bikes. Hope lotus does it differently and shows the engineering.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
Rugby4life OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
The Lamborghini motorcycle was equally ugly...

What they both have in common is too much bodywork. It seems car makers want to cover all the good bits with a body. Works for cars but not bikes. Hope lotus does it differently and shows the engineering.
Hopefully they will adhere to Colin Chapman's mantra when he founded the company "simplify, then add lightness." I would love to see a 2 wheeled version of a Super 7, a 200hp litre bike weighing in at about 330lbs wet. Most engineers would be concerned with mass centralization whereas Lotus' philosophy is to remove the mass and you don't have to worry about centralizing it. One way to do this is to minimize the amount of bodywork. If you were sitting in on the engineering sessions, what suggestions would you make (real world not fantasy)?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Hopefully they will adhere to Colin Chapman's mantra when he founded the company "simplify, then add lightness." I would love to see a 2 wheeled version of a Super 7, a 200hp litre bike weighing in at about 330lbs wet. Most engineers would be concerned with mass centralization whereas Lotus' philosophy is to remove the mass and you don't have to worry about centralizing it. One way to do this is to minimize the amount of bodywork. If you were sitting in on the engineering sessions, what suggestions would you make (real world not fantasy)?
Kiss

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Bikes are simple
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,854
You've seen his work in movies like Oblivion, Tron and Captain America (the recent one with Hugo Weaving). His design work is regarded as some of the best in automotive circles, on par with Syd Mead.

However, designing for four wheels does not always translate to two wheels as there is a spartan discipline that makes a great motorcycle. If Daniel Simon pulls it off, it will be a motorcycle like no other. The second caveat is financing and distribution, as we have seen marques like Norton fail with the best of intentions.

Examples of D. Simon's work:

More here via Google image search:

Daniel Simon

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
You've seen his work in movies like Oblivion, Tron and Captain America (the recent one with Hugo Weaving). His design work is regarded as some of the best in automotive circles, on par with Syd Mead.

However, designing for four wheels does not always translate to two wheels as there is a spartan discipline that makes a great motorcycle. If Daniel Simon pulls it off, it will be a motorcycle like no other. The second caveat is financing and distribution, as we have seen marques like Norton fail with the best of intentions.

Examples of D. Simon's work:

More here via Google image search:

Daniel Simon
The last one is cool. The rest meh
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
Quote:
Ferrari builds some massively UGLY ass cars. They perform well, I ain't gonna argue against that, but the Enzo is one seriously ugly mother fucker. I was not susprised their motorcycle was hideous as well. They certainly put fuction over form, which is not really a bad thing, but Ferraris haven't been pretty in several decades.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 222
they all remind me of that horrid Ferrari 'bike'... He seems to have a fixation for huge matching size wheels. That alone doesn't bode well. I hope he can get past his or own style and design something that will function.

What works in movie magic won't fly in the real world.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
What works in movie magic won't fly in the real world.

True, but even without trying, it'll look better than any current BMW.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
ferrari

i like ferraris . everyone has different tastes in cars and motorcycles . i did not know that ferrari tried to build a bike . that sounds a bit strange . i have enclosed a pic of the new four seat four wheel drive ferrari ff . imho it is the most beautiful car ever designed in the history of automobiles . but my appreciation of cars is extreme . if i couldn't drive a new 2014 ferrari ff i would rather drive a rusty old 1990 ford pickup .

doggrell3000

doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Earliest days Ferrari raced bikes and cars
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
Earliest days Ferrari raced bikes and cars
Harley's already got the 100 year old technology market cornered.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
i like ferraris . everyone has different tastes in cars and motorcycles . i did not know that ferrari tried to build a bike . that sounds a bit strange . i have enclosed a pic of the new four seat four wheel drive ferrari ff . imho it is the most beautiful car ever designed in the history of automobiles . but my appreciation of cars is extreme . if i couldn't drive a new 2014 ferrari ff i would rather drive a rusty old 1990 ford pickup .

doggrell3000

Wow. Groundbreaking styling there.

Or, better yet.

All beautiful, but the middle one has the best value IMHO.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Can we please get back to the topic at hand?