Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #31
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Worth it, if it's stirs your soul. If they don't, you're probably dead inside and should see a doctor.
I could say the same about any motorcycle really. Taking your point to it's logical conclusion if it takes a Ducati to stir your soul you must be more dead inside then others. My soul is stirred by two wheels, and I take all the soul with me I need on my ride, I don't need my bike to provide it for me.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I could say the same about any motorcycle really. Taking your point to it's logical conclusion if it takes a Ducati to stir your soul you must be more dead inside then others. My soul is stirred by two wheels, and I take all the soul with me I need on my ride, I don't need my bike to provide it for me.
Well said!

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #33
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Ok, lessee. Honda Pacific Coast, vs Vincent Black Lightning. They'll both get you there, but if you've gotta ask. It's all about what triggers things. None of us really *have* to ride........
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Wouldnt that depend how far "there" is.

There are some pretty bland Ducati anyway, which is more soul stirring...a RC51 or a Multi Strada 620?
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #35
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Wouldnt that depend how far "there" is.

There are some pretty bland Ducati anyway, which is more soul stirring...a RC51 or a Multi Strada 620?
42?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #36
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,220
You could always check out a Moto Guzzi Griso. All the Italian flair and the newer ones seem to hold up pretty well.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #37
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
i say yes. they are more expensive to maintain.
just had my 916 at a shop for a service. maybe i could do it on my own, but i want that sticker in the service history book IF i ever sell the bike. it cost me 650euros for belts and all the fluids. and the mechanic, who also happens to be the president of the ducati owners club, knows his stuff. i know the bike is in good hands. but, this year, no valves had been checked.
what im trying to say is, that i think, a ducati is more expensive because even if you could do the service on your own, a full service history is worth much more then on any other brand. and if you plan on selling the bike again (which im not, im already thinking of a spot on the farm where i can put it on display when im to old to ride it....in 40years or so) that might be a deal maker or breaker.
is it worth it? depends. for me, it is, for others, not so much. but i bleed red. ducati red.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,646
"But I willfully pull up to Ducatis at about 4 or 5 oclock in traffic, roll down the window, and turn off the radio in my car just so I can listen.

They're like Maria Grazia Cucinotta and Ronda Rousey had a baby or something.

Worth it, if it's stirs your soul. If they don't, you're probably dead inside and should see a doctor"

Sounds like you are describing a Harley. Now THERE is a sweet sound.

After doing a couple of hours of online research, it looks like Ducatis are not only more expensive to maintain than MOST Japanese bikes, but they are not as reliable either, and have more problems. Not my experience, just what others with experience say.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #39
spdtrpl
Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer: 139
Servicing these bikes isn't as difficult as many people think. The 2V motors are very easy, the valve adjustment on the 4V requires some thought and patience. Buy a copy of L.T Snyders maintenance bible, and do the work yourself.
Yes, they are more expensive to maintain, but well worth it
spdtrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I'm reminded of an apocryphal story about a rookie soldier in barracks writing back to his mum.

"The food here is poison," he reported.

"And such small portions!"

My S4Rs has cost me a small fortune to run over six years and 49,000km. I've replaced the clutch, radiator, front brake master, shock, mirrors and seat. I'm on my third set of timing belts, my third voltage regulator and probably my fourth set of fork seals (an Ohlins quirk). I have shelled out for two valve checks and two check-and-adjusts. And I'm still to do the almost mandatory tune and exhaust.

The instant I can find something I'd rather ride than this POS, I'll replace her.

(Yeah I know, she's riding better than when new, uses no oil, the valves won't need another check until 72,000, the steering remains endlessly satisfying, she's now all-day comfortable, the brakes are better than those on anything new I've tried recently, and the finish has held up so well that I still can't park her without a lingering backward glance. Which means I'll probably end up putting a pipe on her, and doing a bunch of other unnecessary enhancements, and riding a moldering classic into my 70s. And I'll look back on how shitty my life has turned out, and wish I'd had the sense to have bought a house and a Suzuki instead. Some of us are doomed to live with bad choices. It's probably all about something my mum did, or didn't. )
Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #41
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Sounds like you are describing a Harley. Now THERE is a sweet sound.

After doing a couple of hours of online research, it looks like Ducatis are not only more expensive to maintain than MOST Japanese bikes, but they are not as reliable either, and have more problems. Not my experience, just what others with experience say.
Yeah, Harleys sound nice. And my Ducati ownership was marked by short periods of riding separated by repair times, just like with my Sportster.

But the Ducati experience is singular in motorcycling, imo.
It's something everyone should experience.

I'm used to twitchy race machines. I don't mind maintenance. I've had a double handful of BMW's apart doing clutches and transmissions and stuff. I've built a pretty significant number of engines from cases/blocks and parts. And I've resurrected more than a few Japanese bikes.
I don't really balk at maintenance, even like the final drive work on your Vulcan 750.

The Ducati maintenance procedures aren't bad. It's that I get in a bind waiting for parts to float over in a Gondola from Italy. That I mind. But if you buy an older model, it ain't so bad.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdtrpl View Post
Yes, they are more expensive to maintain, but well worth it

Bingo.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #43
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The cars that have always required valve adjustments. An old Triumph still requires valve adjustments. An air cooled VW, a Porsche 911 at least up to the 964 series.

There are a number of late model Toyotas that require valve adjustments. The E-46 M3 BMW is supposed to have the valves checked every 40k miles. It uses shims.
Yep, 2006 BMW M3 e46 with the s54 engine. Last year of the NA inline six...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #44
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yeah, Harleys sound nice. And my Ducati ownership was marked by short periods of riding separated by repair times, just like with my Sportster.

But the Ducati experience is singular in motorcycling, imo.
It's something everyone should experience.

I'm used to twitchy race machines. I don't mind maintenance. I've had a double handful of BMW's apart doing clutches and transmissions and stuff. I've built a pretty significant number of engines from cases/blocks and parts. And I've resurrected more than a few Japanese bikes.
I don't really balk at maintenance, even like the final drive work on your Vulcan 750.

The Ducati maintenance procedures aren't bad. It's that I get in a bind waiting for parts to float over in a Gondola from Italy. That I mind. But if you buy an older model, it ain't so bad.
This. The reason I shy away from European bikes in general is the parts availability. BMW's not as bad as most, but still there are a lot of parts that have to take the slow boat from Germany. Ducati and Aprilia are famous for "parts have to be shipped from the factory".

Japanese and American bikes, however, are usually readily available. In any major city there are probably enough parts available to build a bike in your garage!

Up to you, really. There are quirks, but then even though I'm not much of a sport bike guy, every time I hear a Duc, I wet myself. Just a little...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #45
Lookforexit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
This age old question really is not about maintenance, any more exotic bike is going to be quite a bit more money to keep strait. It is about how you see motorcycles. I've always been a Japanese buyer, but partially due to having run a shop and been on the inside. My old service manager used to work on Duc's all Japanese, Aprilia the whole bit. He indoctrinated me out of Ducati love.

If you are into the Italian passion thing, sure it's worth it, my best friend owns a Fogarty replica Monster and practically blows one every time he gets on, he also wouldn't own the practial machines I choose (FZ1, VFR's etc) to save his life.

On the other side I have never had to worry about condensation under my dials of a 10k machine.

Pick your poison!
Lookforexit is offline   Reply With Quote