Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #406
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
I believe that the Duc 848 Streetfighter was developed from the 848 Supersport specifically to get Ducati into the mid-sized "street-fighter" (performance-naked, with a "back street" look) market. While this market was home-grown by riders stripping-down performance (sport) bikes from their plastic, Triumph and Aprilia "made" the factory side of the market with the STR, S3, and Tuono.

With the success of the "street-fighter" market in general, and the love of nakeds throughout the world, including the US, and Yamaha's declaration of now trying to be more bold, I think that the FZ-09 (MT-09) is their attempt to capitalize on this huge market segment.

Yamaha's desire to provide something new, but with potential longevity, has lead them to three-cylinder motors, at least for the non-Supersport (i.e. racing) classes. A new, useful, motor that can be tuned across a wide range, is a key part of the planning for the new motorcycles.

Add the two together, and you get the FZ-09. And since Triumph and Aprilia were the first on the factory "street-fighter" band wagon, it is only natural that we compare them with the new FZ-09. Because Yamaha started with 847cc, we see comparison to STR, S3, Duc Street Fighter AND Tiger 800 Roadie.

In a recovering world economy, this is just what the street motorcycle world needs to help revitalize interest in motorcycling and in motorcycle sales. Welcome back to the Game, Yamaha!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #407
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
I agree in part. Triumph has done a terrific job with their triple variants. Where I disagree is the idea that the major motorcycle companies will invest the time and resources required to design, market, inventory and manufacture all the components that go into distributing/selling/supporting a motorcycle worldwide, simply because they want to be like their competitor(s). I suspect this bike and any subsequent variants have been years in the making, with only minor regard for Triumph's success.

Thx...nlp
When the competitors are very successful, they will do what it takes for a share of the market. Yamaha built the Super Tenere to go after a piece of the BMW GS market. The Yamaha triple is aimed squarely at the very succesful Triumph Triples, no doubt in my mind. As always YMMV!

Regards, Paul
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #408
Lurg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Are you kidding?

Weights about the same as a Street Triple but has money power, torque, & better ergos without the sewing machine "whine".
The whine comes from all triples, so I think you will get that here as well.
Alot of hype around this bike now, and I can see why.
Triumph has in my opinion at least ruled the mid weight "streetfigther" class with the Street Triple for some time now.
Will be interesting to see if this can give it a run for it's money

It has more power, but the striple weighs less.
So it's a close race for sure.

And this is a brand new motor and bike from Yamaha, so there might be a few bugs to get rid of

Still, it's going to be interesting to see the japans take on triples' that has been the European (triumphs..) go to solution for quite some time, and for many different models.

And figures only tell one side of the story, can't wait to read every single versus between the two bikes in the hopefully very near future!

keeping one finger on the triple tho, cause I just bought one

One thing im pretty sure of tho, triple cylinder is the future!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #409
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
They build that like the artist mock up and price it at $9999 they won't be able to build them fast enough. That looks sweet.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #410
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
As the old TDM has finally stopped production, and the head of the FJR refresh project has hinted of a mid size FJR, i hope that the triple will find it's way into a lightweight touring bike. Like a BMW F800GT that doesn't spend a lot of time in the shop....
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #411
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurg View Post
The whine comes from all triples, so I think you will get that here as well.
Alot of hype around this bike now, and I can see why.
Triumph has in my opinion at least ruled the mid weight "streetfigther" class with the Street Triple for some time now.
Will be interesting to see if this can give it a run for it's money

It has more power, but the striple weighs less.
So it's a close race for sure.

And this is a brand new motor and bike from Yamaha, so there might be a few bugs to get rid of

Still, it's going to be interesting to see the japans take on triples' that has been the European (triumphs..) go to solution for quite some time, and for many different models.

And figures only tell one side of the story, can't wait to read every single versus between the two bikes in the hopefully very near future!

keeping one finger on the triple tho, cause I just bought one

One thing im pretty sure of tho, triple cylinder is the future!

The "whine" doesn't come from all triples or engines for that matter. It comes from something (camshafts, alternator, etc.) being driven by a gear.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #412
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I sat on one yesterday.... I could flat foot it. It is too bad they are going to scrap to proto types they are showing around...I like the instrutment cluster.
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #413
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
The "whine" doesn't come from all triples or engines for that matter. It comes from something (camshafts, alternator, etc.) being driven by a gear.
True....from what I've read Triumph uses straight cut rather than bevel primary gears and that is where the whine comes from...it does not bother me on my Tiger 955 but some find it annoying. The demo video of the new Yamaha being started and reved has no whine. The weight difference between the Yamaha and the Triumph 800 is closer to 100 lbs. if both have all fluids added, full tanks, etc. The only difference I've read of between the MT and FZ versions is that the MT will get LED turnsignals since they are legal in Europe.

victor441 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 01:38 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #414
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Make that "like a BMW F800S..."

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #415
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Probably the only one in Canada...

I was at the Canadian FJR Rally in Huntsville Ont this past weekend. Yamaha was good enough to bring in 2 2013 FJR's for demo rides (velly nice!). But they also brought this in.

No, they wouldn't let me ride it. But believe me, it feels like 415lbs. Very sweet. They did let me start it up. It sounds like a 4 below 4000 but turns into a triple above that.

Interesting VIN on it too.

Definitely pre-production for the show circuit. To bad it'll be crushed afterwards.

I'd love this bike, but I'd love an 'FJR' based on it more.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #416
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Bungie4, is there anything about the bike that you noticed in addition to what can be told by just looking at the pictures? I mean was it more or less than what you thought it would be, or different in some way?
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #417
sodapop
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post
Bungie4, is there anything about the bike that you noticed in addition to what can be told by just looking at the pictures? I mean was it more or less than what you thought it would be, or different in some way?
Great question. I'd like to hear the answer, too.

2007 VFR800A

sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #418
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Pretty much exactly what you would expect given the price point. The seating position is surprisingly roomy given the size - and you can see the gear I'm wearing so for it to have some extra space is pretty remarkable. Seating feels very much like a Ducati Hypermoto, at least the view out front. Gauges seem small and a bit on the gee-whiz tacky side.

The bike is VERY narrow at the waist. Those of short of stature will have an easy time of making the bike fit them. Probably just a set of links and maybe drop the fork tubes to match. One of the girls (who rides an FJR) is probably 5'4 and was able to get the balls of her feet down solidly. Just for reference, I'm 5' 9" so it'll give you some idea of the layout/ergos.

I did notice that access to the oil filter is directly behind the pipes, expect to burn your hands/wrists if your the type who drains warm oil like me.

The bike definitely has a presence especially when it's running. This was a group of FJR guys who had 2 2013's all to themselves (unsupervised 30 minute demo rides WOOHOO!) but they were all drawn to this bike.

I damn near begged them to just let me take it around the parking lot, but no go.

At idle, the bike sounds GREAT, then turns all 4cyl then it turns back into a triple in the midrange. Imagine an R6 with a can on it with a good set of quiet baffles. It's louder than an any other stock japanese bike I can recall.

At the end of the day, without a test ride I really can't add much more to it. It definitely doesn't feel like it weighs much more than my CBR250R. Crazy.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com

bungie4 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 07:04 PM
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #419
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
...sitting on fz-09...
How tall are you bungie4? Also how did the leg room and seat feel? Main reason I want this bike is on paper it has a pretty reasonable seating position.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #420
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
How tall are you bungie4? Also how did the leg room and seat feel? Main reason I want this bike is on paper it has a pretty reasonable seating position.
In his previous post he said 5'9" for reference.....

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is online now   Reply With Quote