User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
KarimADV OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
My KTM 990 Adv 2011 conversion into an SE

Hallo all! First of all, english is not my motherlanguage so you'll have to forgive my mistakes

I always wanted an SE but i wasn't tall enough, and changing the suspension setup wasn't as easy and efficient as i wanted: therefor i "had" to buy an ADV, but i never been a rally raplica fan, and all those plastics didn't give me the confidence i need with my bike.

So i decided to strip the bike down and see what i could do.

The conversion came out pretty easy and everything is reversible to original in a couple of hours.

I bought the SM/SE rear plastics and discovered they fit almost perfectly: you just need to cover the original holes (i used some liquid plastic, scratched and painted it) and re drill 4 new holes for the rear luggage holder. I also removed the key from the seat to be able to quickly remove it.

I moved all the electrical i was able to, behind the filter box: i will do a better job next winter because, to do it clean, you need to strip the electrical down to single cables and group them together with a different order. Made also a support for the original odometer and bought a TrailTech X2 Dual Halogen light.

Moved the radiator expansion box under the seat, where the SAS pump was: it fits perfectly once again :)

Now the bike is ready for a new, smaller, lighter tank! The tank was handly made in aluminium, holds 13 liters ( almost the same as the SE ) but developes more in the upper part: the result is higher weights but smaller bike's section (it's like 20cm more compact than the SE: where the radiator ends, there ends the bike as well). I used an SMR used fuel pump: same connectors and same specifics.

The tank is hold in place without bolts: it's fixed with a lip on the front upper part under the handlebar into a C aluminum support fixed to the frame in an elastic way, and it's blocked into place by the seat.

The result is the bike can now be totally stripped in less than 2 mins for regular maintenance.

The tank was the only expensive mod i had to make: i bought every piece i needed used on ebay and such, for about 200 euros total, but the tank costed me 1ooo euros ( i know i got ripped off, but the problem with this stuff is to find someone actually able to do it properly).

Now the bike is like i always wanted it: slim, with heated grips, with two disc brakes, with ABS ( i also installed a switch on the handlebar to disable the ABS on the fly when i go off road). It weights 210 kilograms with full tank and it's eventually reversible to standard tanks in about 15 mins ( for those trips in which i need that extra fuel ): for my average trips i'll equip it with two 1 gallon Rotopax on the sides (like the Kriega setup but handmade) and eventually with 4 Rotopax if i need more range (but i don't really see the need atm).

Comments and suggestions welcome! :)

Last edit: i thought it would have weighted less, considering all the build threads i saw in which people would reach incredible weights. In all honesty i think i could gain still some ( 3kg from the battery, maybe 2 kg from a newer oil tank, 2 kg from the central stand, 3 kg removing one brake and one caliper, 2kg from the ABS removal ) but then i'd have a bike i couldn't use to travel and i'd still be at 198kg.

This week end i had the new Bimota Dbx under hands for 4 days and had the chance to talk to the guy that made it: using litium bolts, one single brake, no ABS, lots of carbonium, they reached 175kg. I highly doubt anything less than 190kg is reachable without a radical de building of the bike.

Atm i am satisfied with this set up: maybe i'll get me a Shorai but that will be all :p

KarimADV screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 12:09 PM
KarimADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Bootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Molto bravo.

You did all what I wanted ...before getting the SE.
but you got two bikes in one.

Well done,man
KTM 950 SE 06
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
KarimADV OP
Adventurer

Grazie Bootsy :)
Old 06-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,837
Looks great.

Have you got anymore pics of the tank ?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,308
Nice job!!

You could also lose:

Centerstand
1 exhaust
1 rotor

li Ion battery

It all adds up!!

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
KarimADV OP
Adventurer

@DRjoe: nope, but i can take them :)

@sailah: the centerstand weights 2 kilograms but it's priceless to change tyres. The gain is not worth the loss imho :) 1 exhaust i tryed already: it's a 2kg gain but i don't like the esthetic :( 1 rotor: what do you mean? Brakes? Don't like the idea since i use the bike to travel as well as going off road.

Li Ion battery: that's what i'll do next :)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
bravo, I really like it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
KarimADV OP
Adventurer

Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Cool bike
Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
KarimADV OP
Adventurer

Off road travel version: 21 fuel liters (can go up to 26,5/34 of i use stock tanks and 2 more Rotopax on the rear), 210 kilograms.

Some more pics of the tank since i got asked :)