Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
My First Motorcycle Trailer build.
This very old picture was taken in 1977 by a Co Worker. My Son and I were riding around town going after something. Can't remember what but it was big what ever it was. He's 3 in this picture and before the Safety Police jump on me his helmet and gloves are hanging on the right mirror. He'd been riding with me since he was 1 1/2. He's 38 now.

The little trailer worked so well we used it behind my 78 4WD Subaru Wagon to go camping in Colorado and even all the way to Washington State. I used a Sears Car Top Carrier Box and heavy wall square tubing for the frame and small boat springs with some leaves taken out. And of course 8 inch boat wheels. I even made the axle. Ended up adding a rack to the top to tie more stuff on top of it.
Can't find that picture, but I'll keep looking and will edit it in when I find it.

Found it!

The only draw back to pulling these trailers with small bikes is the lack of brakes on the trailer. Braking gets tricky and believe me they will push you around.

I have a funny story about a trailer one of my HD Riding neighbors long ago built out of a Freezer Chest for hauling iced down beer behind his Harley to the Tres Rios Bike Rally. He'd seen me build and use the trailer above and thought he should make one too!
The guy had zero engineering skills and actually connected his trailer tongue right behind the solo seat on his Wide Glide. Needless to say on his first test run he proudly motored off briskly with his trailer in tow through the neighborhood. But being as we lived on a short street with a 90 degree turn at the end of it probably saved his life. Because in typical Harley Worshippers fashion he was wearing a "T" shirt, greasy blue jeans, Stomper Boots and no helmet.
As soon as he leaned it into the corner and tapped his rear brake he found himself hurled face first onto the asphalt and his Harley being shoved across the same asphalt right behind him. That pavement sure made a mess of that 60 YO Bad Ass sporting his pony tailed head, complete with bearded face, and that Scooter. He picked up his disaster and rolled it home and promptly cut the wheels off the trailer and put the deep freeze back in the garage where it belonged.

Built right a trailer will make trips a blast. Wrong and they could kill you and a Bus Load of Nuns!
So build them correctly.
ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro

Curtis in Texas screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 03:57 PM
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote