Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I really like the review on the Blur 220. It's to bad the speedometer is that far off, but I have come to expect it on all bikes. I always use an inexpensive GPS anymore. An actual 69 mph seems fine for top speed, since it would only be ridden on the freeway once in a while. I have 22 freeway miles on my Zuma 125, and the only thing that bothered me was that it was not legal. That could get very expensive in a hurry. My only real concerns about the Blur are reliability over long distances and high speeds, and parts availability, something that neither the Vino 125 or Zuma 125 have ever had any issues with. I sure wish Yamaha made a Zuma 250. The Vino and Zuma 125s are pretty much scooter sized scooters, the Majesty is in a whole nother league. I think a Zuma 250, about the same size and shape as the old Elite 250 would be great.

I also noticed that the Blur actually displaces 220cc, while the Kymco and SYM 200s are actually only 170cc. To me that's pushing it a bit.

I did locate a new SYM HD200, I haven't actually looked at it, but from all my research, SYM support is just a bit too sketchy right now. I also found a couple of '09 SportCity 250s, but they are not new. Never registered, but very dirty and quite a few scratches. Yet they want full MSRP, which is the same as the Blur. There are 2 Genuine dealers around here, I will call them tomorrow and see if they have any "new" Blur 220s in stock. One of them has their Genuine models listed on their website, and the Blur is not on there. Neither is the Rattler 110, which is probably sold out, but the Buddy 170 and 4 stroke Stella are listed, so it seems up to date. Even the Buddy 170 is the same size, and probably has the same top speed as the Kymco and SYM 200 models, just has smaller wheels, which has never been a problem for me. My 220+ pounds do just fine on the Vino and Zuma.
I'm in Canada and when my dealer couldn't get parts they ordered them from Alliance in the US and got very prompt service. They have been steadily expanding the range of bikes in the US so that the Citycom is back and they have the RV200 to go along with the HD200. Both have a claimed 72 mph top speed. Bikes are available, parts are available so if you have ready access to a dealer you're good to go if a SYM is what you really want. The HD 200 is quicker off the line than my bike and a stock one won the cross country Cannonball a few years ago and unlike the other puddle jumpers the biggest problem that bike had was a broken sidestand.

On the SYM forum I see there is a guy with a HD125 with 55,000 miles on it and it's still humming along. I'm glad SYM is back. Now if they could just get things sorted in Canada......

Phipsd screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 01:20 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Vacilando26
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Blur? Bleh!

I have a 2011 220i blur. Yes top speed is around 67, for about 5 minutes. After that it overheats and smells like burning circuit board. After a few months of a twenty minute commute at an indicated 60mph I went for a majesty and never looked back.
Vacilando26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
A Majesty is way to big for what I want. At 400cc I'd want a motorcycle. I enjoy riding traditional sized scooters. A Buddy 250 would be perfect. If Honda could make a 250 scooter without it being to big (the Elite 250) so can anyone else.

I did find a dealer 120 miles away with both a Blur220 and a SYM RV200. I'm going to check them both out, but I get the feeling this may be a ripoff dealer that tries to add a long list of fees. I don't play that game. I already have an OTD offer on a Buddy 170 $200 UNDER MSRP.

After doing some research, I did find some information about there being a problem with the Blur's temperature gauge, and that it had been fixed.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #19
RushBlur
Absorber

Oddometer: 19
I own a 2011 Blur 220i with about 9k miles on it now. Probably 1/3 of those miles have been on the interstate doing 60-70mph. Took a 12 hour jaunt and never had any problems. Never had any mechanical issues with it other than regular maintenance. Replaced my cvt belt and rear tire at 8.5k. Never had a problem getting parts and friendly advise/support from the local Genuine dealer. Max speed is 72mph (85 mph indicated) and about 70mpg. SYM 250 or a Burgman is better if you're gonna be riding 2up. High seat height and wide seat require anyone under 5'6" to rely on only putting on foot (haha or toe) down at a stop. Very pleasurable carefree scooter. It is plug and play.

Most people that buy them tend to want to customize them - increase their acceleration or higher top speed or make them louder- few have figured out how to improve them in anyway beyond stock. They'd be better off getting a Ninja 250 or similar. Scooters are for those that don't want to mess around with wrenching. Motorcycles are for wrenching.

Find me on Modernbuddy.com as simply "Rush"
RushBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #20
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Blur 220i engine failure . . images.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #21
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Blur 220i engine failure . . images.
Genuine will likely regret denying that warranty claim. The bad karma of a customer with a grenaded engine through no fault of his own will be much worse than the cost of the engine replacement. It's already linked on 3 forums...

My friend has a 2012 F250 Diesel that self destructed on I-75 pulling his 5th wheel back from Daytona this year. The dealer had it a day and advised the Ford rep approved a complete engine replacement- this is about a $20k motor. It must not be a rare occurance because a new crate motor appeared at the dealer within a couple days. Suspect Ford is trying to avoid publicity with what could be a sales nightmare.

Genuine might want to take a lesson..

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I wonder if this has to do with the issues that are going on at Genuine. I doubt it is the same company it used to be. I would definitely file a complaint with Genuine. They are required by law to tell you why they are denying the claim. If that doesn't do any good, then it's time to go to the next level, even if it eventually means winding up in court.

A $1900 motor, plus labor? No way would I write that off. And I wouldn't stick some cheap motor in it either. Genuine has had an excellent reputation for a long time. Could be the new owners just don't care.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #23
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Not sure what is going on at Genuine but I am a tad concerned. I got a sour taste in my mouth when I stopped by my dealer for the so called all important 200 mile service. When I bought the bike they were all over Genuine and promised fast service. Fast forward to the first part of September I get a very different vibe. Oh Genuine we don't care about those. We might be able to service it in a few weeks. Now a lot of this is likely just poor dealer service but they quickly went from focusing on Genuine to throwing them in the back and focusing on Vespa and Piaggio. I would not be surprised if they end up dumping Genuine just like they did with Kymco.

Its a brutal market. The Genuine products tend to be overpriced and under performing. They are solidly built (well most are) but today that is just not good enough.

I may be parting ways with my Hooligan 170 when the new Yamaha XC155 comes out. I don't really want to but if Genuine folds or dramatically changes its business model for the worse I might not stick with it.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #24
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Genuine is under new ownership, due to a hostile takeover of the company. I have no idea what the new owners have in mind for it. It would be sad to see such a great company go under. Not long ago, if I had been in the market for a 125cc scooter, I would have been all over the Buddy. Great performance, looks, and reliability. Now I wouldn't even consider a Genuine. Parts availability and warranty service would be my biggest concerns.

I would likely already have bought a SYM HD200 is not for the same issues. Great scooter, but the importer makes me nervous. SYM has already had one failed importer, and there are a lot of complaints about the current one.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #25
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Genuine is under new ownership, due to a hostile takeover of the company. I have no idea what the new owners have in mind for it. It would be sad to see such a great company go under. Not long ago, if I had been in the market for a 125cc scooter, I would have been all over the Buddy. Great performance, looks, and reliability. Now I wouldn't even consider a Genuine. Parts availability and warranty service would be my biggest concerns.

I would likely already have bought a SYM HD200 is not for the same issues. Great scooter, but the importer makes me nervous. SYM has already had one failed importer, and there are a lot of complaints about the current one.
Its my understanding during brief unscientific research that Scooterworks was behind this. It could be that Genuine is actually making some money and Scooterworks wants them under its own umbrella. If we are lucky the only thing that may change is they will now be imported by Scooterworks and we will see the same bikes and service under that label.

At worse Genuine was considered a threat to the existing scooter market and by taking them over they could very well be eliminated. It just depends on what other interest Scooterworks has in the business.

Its my understanding that Scooterworks is a pretty well run company and has good customer service. So for all we know this latest move may be a good thing. However its way to early to tell!

Looks like a lot of Genuine owners are not thrilled at the moment though. I did notice looking at the Hooligan on Genuine's website and the now offer a 3 year warranty. Pretty sure it was 2 years when I bought it. Not sure what I actually get on mine currently.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #26
Spower3119
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Dabears

This is to Dabears. please check your control planel. I sent you a pm
Spower3119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #27
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

This has been posted here several times, but maybe not everyone knows about it. I consider it the probable explanation for Genuine going downhill.

http://cookcountyrecord.com/top-stor...m-from-company

I have gotten parts for my Stella here. http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/ Their ordering system leaves something to be desired. I ordered a stator for my '09 Stella, and they sent me the wrong one. It was for an earlier model Stella. I talked to them on the phone and they admitted they messed up on the part numbers. They didn't even have the one I needed listed. But they did have it, and sent me one. I sent the other one back. I got what I needed, but it took awhile.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #28
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Ok, go back to that thread at Modern Buddy and read between the lines-- this was a 22 year old kid who grenaded his engine. Genuine denied the claim because the bike wasn't maintained--the oil was black. The kid's own dad wouldn't take his side as far as suing Genuine.

I saw this kind of crap all the time in my 35 years working in a Toyota dealership shop--idiot customer never changes oil/drives through 4 ft deep flood/downshifts from 6th to 2nd at 85mph and goes all Ralph Nader.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #29
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Not sure what is going on at Genuine but I am a tad concerned. I got a sour taste in my mouth when I stopped by my dealer for the so called all important 200 mile service. When I bought the bike they were all over Genuine and promised fast service. Fast forward to the first part of September I get a very different vibe. Oh Genuine we don't care about those. We might be able to service it in a few weeks. Now a lot of this is likely just poor dealer service but they quickly went from focusing on Genuine to throwing them in the back and focusing on Vespa and Piaggio. I would not be surprised if they end up dumping Genuine just like they did with Kymco.

Its a brutal market. The Genuine products tend to be overpriced and under performing. They are solidly built (well most are) but today that is just not good enough.

I may be parting ways with my Hooligan 170 when the new Yamaha XC155 comes out. I don't really want to but if Genuine folds or dramatically changes its business model for the worse I might not stick with it.
I've said it here before and I'll say it again. When a Taiwanese brand "piggybacks" to a Vespa dealer it's the kiss of death. They are in the business of selling Vespas not scooters....

Quote:

Real or perceived problems? We have an awful lot of happy SYM owners in these parts that don't have parts problems.

We also have a Genuine dealer that told me today that they treat service on them just as they always have, first rate. Of course they sell Kymco, Genuine and SYM. Not a vespa to be found.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 AM   #30
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Scooterworks was started back in the '80s by Philip McCaleb, as a scooter parts company. Then he began importing the LML Star, rebadging it as the Genuine Stella, and created Genuine scooter company. Then he started contracting with the Taiwanese scooter company PGO, and together they developed several more models. But from the very beginning, both Scooterworks and Genuine Scooter Company belonged to Philip McCaleb. He started them both on his own, and did very well with them. A real American success story, even if the scooters were made overseas. The companies were stolen from him. I doubt anyone else can make it work, if that is even what they want. He was the driving force behind the company.

As for the Blur engine, it was only 4 months old. Oil should not turn black in a new engine in 4 months. Yes it should have been changed, but even if it was dirty, it could not have caused that kind of damage. It looks like a bomb went off inside that engine. Now if the oil level was way to low, that's another matter. That's why I run all my engines with the oil level at the top of the sight glass or full line on the dipstick. Many scooter forums actually advise running scooters with a very low oil level. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

As for SYM, all I know is what I read on the SYM forum. There are a lot of complaints, mostly about parts availability. Most of them get their parts from OotyScooters because they are the only dealer that will sell parts. It (seems) that Alliance (also known as Lance) doesn't want anyone working on their own scooters, so they try to avoid selling parts directly to customers. They want the dealer to do all the work. That seems to be the general consensus. I don't know if it is true. Does anyone have issues getting parts from SYM dealers?
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 09-24-2014 at 02:00 AM